Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
le_avion

Getting very frustrated with Ultimaker 3 Extended with long prints

3 minutes ago, le_avion said:

3 of my last 3 prints failed with the same error. 100% failure rate.

I will follow your advice and move the clips and see if this helps.  I will let you know.

I look forward to hearing about your results. All I can say is that I have not had the issues you have had to this degree. But, then again, I got lucky and figured out the clip thingy.

Edit:

Do not forget to really push that cable down into the printhead when sealing it back up. Then do the clips.

Edited by kmanstudios

Even if it's "out of warranty" there's a good chance they will still honor the warranty.  Especially since the problems started before the warranty ran out.  Since you are in the USA I recommend going straight to fbrc8.  Email them.  See what they say.  Tell them it's out of warranty but the problem is old.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Do not forget to really push that cable down into the printhead when sealing it back up. Then do the clips.

Moving the clips seems to have helped. My 4th print finished after about 12 hours successfully. If this actually fixed the issue or I was just lucky only time will tell.

One thing you can do is to also put a single layer, maybe two layers of masking tape around the area where the Cable enters the printhead to increase friction.

The issue for me was the the cable was not really long enough to withstand the wiggly motions of the bowden tube pulling it around.

By anchoring the cable as much as possible to the printhead, it will be much more robust. This is kinda supported by the fact that the newer UM3E machines (I only have that one and not the UM3) had a slightly longer cable that creates a much better downward force to keep the connection nice and secure.

And, mazel tov! It's a print!

I still look forward to seeing more of your results. I kinda feel bad that I missed this issue as I had this licked over a year ago. Maybe coulda saved you some frustration.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:38 PM, kmanstudios said:

I still look forward to seeing more of your results. I kinda feel bad that I missed this issue as I had this licked over a year ago. Maybe coulda saved you some frustration.

4 days later, multiple prints, some 10-11 hours long and so far so good, knock-on-wood.

BTW, you have nothing to feel bad about. You can't be everywhere all the time (although sometimes it feels like you are 😉) After all you saved me a lot of frustration and for that I thank you.

Edited by le_avion