UM 3 Head Assembly

Traveler218

Posted · UM 3 Head Assembly

I had some problems over the weekend. apparently the front, drop down door on the UM3 came open and the printer continued to try to print. I wound up with a very large mass of filament all over the #1 Nozzle and up into the head (I should have taken some pictures, it was impressive). In order to remover the filament, I was forced to remove and disassemble the head and use a heat gun to melt the material sufficiently for removal in small bites.

I now have a small problem. Everything is cleaned up, and the head is reassembled, except for the nozzle lifting mechanism. Is there a diagram somewhere that will show me exactly how this goes back together. There are two plastic pieces, a spring and a small metal piece. I just need to know the placement of the spring and the small metal piece. I think I have it figured out, but would like to make sure before closing it up.

Robert

Posted (edited) · UM 3 Head Assembly

pretty sure this is the order (to lazy to take mine apart now...)

but you can just feel if it's ok or not. The metal thingy goes in from the top with the small part down.

be sure to put some green grease (the stuff you got with the machine you also put on the Z screw) on the moving small plastic parts.

headparts.png.e18aeef2a3f0f8156d79bd2bc03d2d17.png

and a pic from mu head;

head.png.0bdc0ea477b4032646b85550b4699f3c.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

oh, and curious, you say the head opened during printing, did the magnets pop out? in that case you probably want to use some superglue when putting them back (not sure but assuming superglue will work on the plastic, i think it's POM ?)

@tomnagel any tips on securing the magnets?

Edited by Guest

There seems to be a problem with the stack-up. Either I'm missing something (Although I have all the parts shown above) or something isn't going together correctly. Using the stack-up shown, the metal part protrudes too far into the path of the hot end/nozzle. After assembly, when I try to install the nozzle in slot B, the top hits the metal piece and will not install.

It may just be me, maybe I just don't understand. I even tried putting the sprint after the metal piece, which is better, but it still will not allow me to install the nozzle.

Jeepers, you are getting no joy are you? Are you printing above an ancient plastics burial ground or something?

Edited by Guest

Jeepers, you are getting no joy are you? Are you printing above an ancient plastics burial ground or something?

Could be!! I may have to call in an Exorcist or something.

Right now I just can't get the lift mechanism to go back together correctly. Form an engineering perspective it looks right, There just doesn't seem to be any other way to put it gother, but the Nozzle just won't install. I must be looking at something the wrong way.

Maybe you will hear a disembodied voice saying something like, "ultiMAKER? OHHHhhhhhh, we thought it was ultiMATUM.....makes a difference...slate clean...as you were, smoke 'em if you got 'em, roll 'em if you don't. Ptui, Ptui, curse is gone...that will be three slaughtered goats for services rendered......"

Edited by Guest

Right now I just can't get the lift mechanism to go back together correctly. Form an engineering perspective it looks right, There just doesn't seem to be any other way to put it gother, but the Nozzle just won't install.   I must be looking at something the wrong way.

Could you provide some photos?

Right now I just can't get the lift mechanism to go back together correctly. Form an engineering perspective it looks right, There just doesn't seem to be any other way to put it gother, but the Nozzle just won't install.   I must be looking at something the wrong way.

Could you provide some photos?

Hi Erin;

I took off on vacation Thursday and Friday, I will try to run by work and take a couple of pictures to post.

Thanks for the reply.

I hope you enjoy your days off. If you get a chance to get the photos, maybe we'll be able to see what's going on with the assembly. The lifting switch set up is definitely one of the more finicky parts of the printer to assemble.

Between the Hurricane, Squirrels in my attic, and program issues here at work I am just getting back to working on the UM# issues. Here are some pictures of the head. I can't seem to get the lift mechanism working correctly, even though it appears to be assembled properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20170911_122527.thumb.jpg.87418675d6d1f5678ac64d789e3a6f73.jpg

20170911_122723.thumb.jpg.5573b45643c2a5d4432f1fa34ca1e4fe.jpg

20170911_123104.thumb.jpg.c209848286706db2096e6bff76614e1e.jpg

20170911_123850.thumb.jpg.df1e88b87dbc0ca4bf560d600d45be5c.jpg

I don't get it, the parts seem in the correct order to me, can you describe more what exactly is not working? are parts damaged? bend?

here's how the crucial parts match up when new ....

parts.thumb.png.525e78953456f56c0f7a35d2daaaeb74.png

I don't get it, the parts seem in the correct order to me, can you describe more what exactly is not working? are parts damaged? bend?

That's what I thought too! The problem is the BB nozzle will not install with the head assembled; although, the mechanism seems to work correctly. I even tried assembling with the nozzle already installed. The result was that the lift mechanism would no longer work and I could not remove the nozzle.

Essentially the printer is useless at this point since it will not print without both nozzles installed.

Edited by Guest

so you say you can install the AA core in the 2th slot?

Between the Hurricane, Squirrels in my attic, and program issues here at work I am just getting back to working on the UM# issues. Here are some pictures of the head. I can't seem to get the lift mechanism working correctly, even though it appears to be assembled properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20170911_122527.thumb.jpg.87418675d6d1f5678ac64d789e3a6f73.jpg

20170911_122723.thumb.jpg.5573b45643c2a5d4432f1fa34ca1e4fe.jpg

20170911_123104.thumb.jpg.c209848286706db2096e6bff76614e1e.jpg

20170911_123850.thumb.jpg.df1e88b87dbc0ca4bf560d600d45be5c.jpg

hiya,

looking at the third picture it seems that the metal part is too low.

it should sit on top of the main frame. through the hole then the spring sits on the inside of main frame. the rest is correct

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I thought I looked at that early on and for some reason it just didn't want to work.

Yeah I litterally paused my print to open up my head to check I was right as I only stripped it the once. and it sits on top of the main frame. for sure.

plus in the photo it's hanging too low. it's only a short guide to keep the spring in place.

let us know if it works out.

This is why I had to take mine apart. you can see it doesn't poke out the bottom of the top plastic part.

5a333f5244438_Springhangingout.thumb.jpg.0bf31a137f7fff955542103b766106c7.jpg

Wow, that was easy enough. I thought I had tried that early on and couldn't get it to go together right. This time it went right together and everything works. I will be trying a print in the morning to see if everything is fixed.

Thanks for the Help!

Robert

Anytime.

good luck with the print :)

I've now run 3 or 4 prints, and other than an adhesion/warp issue that caused one part to fall over, they have been very successful. Very good quality prints.

Glad to have the printer functional again.

Thanks All!

Edited by Guest

I didnt have this issue but I had filament stuck above my first print core and so I had to take it apart and the spring fell out and I cant find it. Does anyone know where I can buy a new one? Its just a simple spring but idk what happens if you would have different spring constants if you used a spring unintended for the printer but I dont even know the outer or inner diameter of the spring anyways. Not sure if its called the inner and outer diameter but does anyone know how and where I could replaced it. A link would be helpful if I could order it online.  

It looks like you are in USA so contact support@fbrc8.com or just buy this:

https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-3-spare-parts/products/lifting-switch-pack-um3-um3x

• Like 1