Ultimaker Forum | Feedback

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Forum | Feedback

@SandervG

I don't know what you have done to notifications...but since mid/end of last week i'm getting "spammed" with notifications :(

(or people are more active than before :p )

I now receive a new email for every new post in threads i'm subscribing to...not only once...until I login again ("A notification when new content is posted").

Afaik there was another setting, further down, or something, where you could get it to behave like most other forums do...only one notification, until you sign on again.

30 minutes ago, nilrog said:

@SandervG

I don't know what you have done to notifications...but since mid/end of last week i'm getting "spammed" with notifications :(

(or people are more active than before :p )

I now receive a new email for every new post in threads i'm subscribing to...not only once...until I login again ("A notification when new content is posted").

Afaik there was another setting, further down, or something, where you could get it to behave like most other forums do...only one notification, until you sign on again.

I thought I was the only one......I came online today to check email after a few hours and had a gazillion notifications for one thread. But, I just checked, I have " Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community " checked in my notifications.

3 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

and had a gazillion notifications for one thread

A gazillion emails about notifications, or a gazillion notifications under the notification bell? 

@nilrog , can you send me a screenshot of your notification settings, and can you tell me what you expect to happen with those settings and how that is different from what is happening? About what behaviour did you receive notifications, quotes, replies, mentions?

@kmanstudios , can you do the same? Feel free to send it to me in a DM or here. Whichever you prefer. 

Thank you! 

On 12/01/2018 at 2:05 AM, zerspaner_gerd said:

Someone comments on something I follow

You should look at the notification field in 2 sections. 1 section allows you to choose in what frequency you want to receive notification emails, and the second section (below) allows you to configure what behavior should trigger what kind of notification. This can be a notification in the notification bell, or an email. When you select email, your preference in the first field applies, when you select a notification you will see it appear under the notification bell when you log in again. 

If you deselect both, you won't get any notifications. 

58 minutes ago, SandervG said:

.....When you select email, your preference in the first field applies,....

If I am reading this correctly, if you choose to get email notifications, you will get notifications whenever someone comments on a thread. That means if there are 10 comments on a thread, it will then send you 10 notifications? No matter what?

I thought that checking that " Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community " would mean that if someone commented on a thread, it would send an email for that thread. If someone else commented on that thread, I should not get an email since I've limited it to one email until I 'revisit the community.'

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

A gazillion emails about notifications, or a gazillion notifications under the notification bell?

Emails. I do not like to get binged or pushed or anything like that. I go to the email to check in when I am not busy, otherwise it is a bother for me. I get an email every time someone comments on a thread.

I hope I have not muddied the waters more, or the communications part of me brain is a bit wonky this AM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I thought that checking that " Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community " would mean that if someone commented on a thread, it would send an email for that thread. If someone else commented on that thread, I should not get an email since I've limited it to one email until I 'revisit the community.'

@SandervG

I am of the same opinion regarding notifications and emails :)

This is my current setup...and I have not changed it since I enabled "Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community" as soon as I was aware of that setting...which is like shortly after this forum was launched.

image.thumb.png.af8bed68eee211cb902a665a0753ff1c.png

21 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

If someone else commented on that thread, I should not get an email since I've limited it to one email until I 'revisit the community.'

The question is how the forum software detects a 'revisit'. Are you permanently "signed in" to the forum, or do you use the "Sign out" link after your visits?

Just a guess, but it's at least possible, that "currently signed in" counts as a "revisit"...

14 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

The question is how the forum software detects a 'revisit'. Are you permanently "signed in" to the forum, or do you use the "Sign out" link after your visits?

Just a guess, but it's at least possible, that "currently signed in" counts as a "revisit"...

Until recently, I only got one notification until I came back to the forum regardless of whether I was permanently signed in or not. It tallied my actual visits to the site just like it does when it tells me how many notifications in the little bell since I last came here, regardless of being signed in or not.

In the emails that you received, was it about all different topics, or also different emails about multiple replies in one and the same topic? Did you only receive emails about new replies, or also 'likes' or other forms of activity?

39 minutes ago, SandervG said:

In the emails that you received, was it about all different topics, or also different emails about multiple replies in one and the same topic? Did you only receive emails about new replies, or also 'likes' or other forms of activity?

Currently I receive one email for every post and like etc. that was made for each topic that I am subscribed to.

So if I were subscribed to a lot of "popular" topics I would be "drowned" in emails :p

As you may have noticed, the menu has disappeared from your view when you scroll down. It brought some problems along and we found another way to provide you with additional ways of navigating when you are halfway down a page.

5a5f62f866c7a_Ultimakercommunitynavigationbar.thumb.jpg.a2878e73326f998f1959e856ae5b7ba5.jpg

It behaves just as the top menu, you can click both buttons but by hovering over a dropdown appears which unfolds the entire menu. Besides this, you also have the 'To the top' button in the corner which brings you to the top of the page in a flash. I'm curious to hear what you think! 

If you have any other feedback about our forum, please feel free to share it with us! 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SandervG said:

As you may have noticed, the menu has disappeared from your view when you scroll down. It brought some problems along and we found another way to provide you with additional ways of navigating when you are halfway down a page.

Yay...thank you for that! :heart::)

I was thinking, but never got around to mentioning it, that apart from those issues the menu also took up precious screen area. Not really noticable on a desktop...but on a laptop it felt bad.

• Like 1

Is there a way to increase the "auto-logout" time from the forum? I would prefer a logout-time of ca. 4 hours. Currently, it seems to be one hour? It still happens occasionally that I have to login again when posting. But at least, we don't lose the text anymore, after login-in again, it is redisplayed correctly.

I don't use functions like "remember me" or "remember password" or similar, since it causes forgetting passwords, and it may cause security issues when you are logged-in automatically (not really important here, but may be on other sites, so it's a bad habbit).

The scroll up button is currently right in front of delete quote button. This makes clicking the right one quite hard. 

quote-scroll_button.png.f3187e7ea0fb1631903e8049485cf8f2.png

1 hour ago, cjs said:

The scroll up button is currently right in front of delete quote button. This makes clicking the right one quite hard. 

When do you see this 'Quote 1 post'? When I quote a full post or a fragment I don't get it.

2 hours ago, geert_2 said:

Is there a way to increase the "auto-logout" time from the forum? I would prefer a logout-time of ca. 4 hours. Currently, it seems to be one hour? It still happens occasionally that I have to login again when posting. But at least, we don't lose the text anymore, after login-in again, it is redisplayed correctly.

I don't use functions like "remember me" or "remember password" or similar, since it causes forgetting passwords, and it may cause security issues when you are logged-in automatically (not really important here, but may be on other sites, so it's a bad habbit).

I could inquire, but I imagine the one hour is set for safety reasons as well. Since the text is stored anyway, do we consider it a problem that needs fixing, if it may create issues on the other end? Appreciate the feedback though! Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, SandervG said:

When do you see this 'Quote 1 post'? When I quote a full post or a fragment I don't get it.

The 'Quote 1 post' appears if you press the plus button (multi quote) next to quote. 

Always used that plus button (multi quote) because I didn't notice that Quote was a button ':D

Maybe change the plus button to multi quote and add a border/background to quote ? 

Lol yea that is confusing. Also because the 'To the top' seems to be behind the quote, but is actually in front of it. I think it would be easiest if the 'To the top' button moved a couple of pixels higher so they just don't overlap. Would that work as well for you?

14 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Would that work as well for you?

Yes that would work! I would probably move the 'Quote x' button a few pixels to the left or up and leave the scroll up as it is. Moving the scroll up button is also ok ;p

On 18/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, cjs said:

Yes that would work! I would probably move the 'Quote x' button a few pixels to the left or up and leave the scroll up as it is. Moving the scroll up button is also ok ;p

Fixed!  (well, last week already but I forgot to mention it here). 

On 15/01/2018 at 12:44 PM, tinkergnome said:

The forum stores a cookie that tracks when you visited the forum and updates its timestamp everytime you visit. It should not update when you just browse the internet and your browser remembers your credentials. 

• Thanks 1

Because there were some questions and remarks about notifications I wrote a post explaining them in How the forum works.

Hopefully, this helps. 

On 12/16/2017 at 8:10 AM, SandervG said:

New forum, new start. 

First of all, welcome to everyone on our new community forum software. We hope you'll like it here. 

We are very happy to have moved to IPboard and make this our new home. As always, we are eager to hear your feedback. 

If you have any questions or discover any bugs, let us know. If you don't... hearts and hugs are also welcome ;) 

@SandervG Personally I would consider this a bug, anyway...   I was going to comment on a different post from you, then I figured it would be better to send message to you directly.  So I clicked 'Message' on your profile page and I got the attached popup in the picture attached.  I have posted on here before but it seems that none of my history is there anymore? I don't really care about the history, I more care about the fact I can't even send you, or anyone else a message.  

2018-01-25_21-44-33.jpg