What can i do about that ?

Den door

Posted · What can i do about that ?

The corners and sides are going up during printing. It’s PLA on an ultimaker 2+ with normal settings from Cura.

The nozzle is 0,4mm. The glassurface is crisp clean.

Thanks in advance ??

image.jpg

Posted (edited) · What can i do about that ?
    10 minutes ago, Nicolinux said:

Hi, it could be that the bed is not leveled correctly. Check out this guide:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/17083-bed-levelinghttps://ultimaker.com/en/resources/17083-bed-leveling

No the bed is perfectly leveled, I checked before I did this print after I cleaned the glass. It begin always in the same corner. I buyed the kit with the glass on the front of the printer to keep the warmt inside and avoid turbulence if somebody passes the printer. Should I use the glue ? I read that is only necessary when using ABS filament and not PLA. The first layers are perfect, then it begins to bend. The bed is set at 60 degrees celsius...

Thanks for your reply to my question.

Edited by Den door

It is not really my intention to hijack the thread but... I have a question that has been bugging me all day long. When fine tuning settings for perfect adhesion, should one aim to set bed temperature exactly at the glass temperature of PLA? Slightly below, slightly above?

Now to contribute to the topic -- if the glass is really level, temperature is about right and glass is clean... maybe try another brand of PLA? I've tested quite a few different ones and the differences were huge in terms of lifting corners.

Don't know about glue. I find it messy. People say it works very well.

• Like 1

Ok some points and some questions.

1. Your bed may be level but your nozzle to bed distance may not be optimum

2. Are you using a brim? If not you should use one, especially for something that looks as if it has quite a large surface area. Can you take a pic of your 1st layer with brim from above please so we can see how that is going down. We should be able to tell if your first layer is going down too close or too faraway.

3. If you are closing your nice new front glass door with PLA, do not, leave it open

4. Are you using an adhesive, if not then use one. I lightly spray 2 layers of extra strength hairspray on the glass bed (20 seconds or so between each layer).

5. How long have you had your printer? Does it always do this. If not what is different between how it is acting now and how it was acting before?

6. Once your bed temp reaches 60 do you wait 10 mins or so before starting the print so that all areas of the bed have reached 60?

7. You say your bed level is perfect, did you check it with a spirit level? Did you check another part of the printer to ensure it is showing the same level, not close - the same.

8. Can you tell us your settings please

1st layer print speed and extruder temp.

Subsequent layer print speeds and extruder temp. If you different speeds for different parts of the payer pleas provide the detail

1st layer layer height and subsequent layers layer height.

Number of bottom and top layers

Fan details - when does it come om; when does it reach max speed; what is ma speed set to

To clarify; is bed temp. 60 all the way through the print?

• Like 3

@2go You want the bed above glass temperature for stiff materials that don't bend well.  Nylon bends well so the bed can be below glass temp.  For ABS and PLA which are stiffer you need the bed ideally above glass temps (around 52C and 99C).  Much more detail about this in the video below.

@Den door -  definitely use some glue but not plain glue stick.  It's not the PLA brand, lol.   Here is a video I created to describe how to prevent what you are witnessing.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Closing off the front with PLA has been disastrous for me with lifting and all. It will not let the PLA cool fast enough to stay in shape. And for a wide surface area, I definitely have to go to a PLA brim.

@yellowshark and @gr5 are spot on for more in depth info.

• Like 1

First make sure that the bed is leveled correctly and is very clean (clean it with pure water, no soap, no detergents, since soap reduces bonding). Then you could try this: wipe the glass plate with a tissue moistened with salt water. Keep wiping gently while it dries. This improves bonding, but only works for PLA.

For the full manual, see: https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

For other materials than PLA, you might need to use glue (10% while wood glue dilluted in water, user gr5's method), or hairspray (user neotko's method).

• Thanks 1

Ok, thanks everybody for the excellent reply’s. I cleaned the glass perfectly and I leveled the bed with some precision tools shown on the picture.

After that I did a testprint and now it’s perfect. No warping, curling, just the way it used to be.

I used the 0,15mm to level the bed with the nozzle ?. That seems to be the perfect match ??

In the future this will be my way to go ??

Thanks ! and keep on printing ?

6F1C300D-CBA7-46F2-981B-CE11BF76968B.jpeg

7ECC3C3A-270A-49E0-997F-BE78E5CCB9BA.jpeg

2B9020D8-0196-43EB-ABC7-73082AA0F4C2.jpeg