Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mike-truly

Control the Blob?

Is there a setting in Cura to control the initial blob?  Like 'squirt the blob for N seconds' or something?

I would like to control the squirt so that the blob is only extruded for half the current amount of time/blob.

Thanks!

Mike

hahah @kmanstudios you are funny :D

11 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

it creeps And leaps and glides and slides

Across the floor Right through the door

Actually a really good description of the current implementation :'(

13 hours ago, mike-truly said:

s there a setting in Cura to control the initial blob?  Like 'squirt the blob for N seconds' or something?

There is no setting in Cura at the moment. Only the option to enable or disable it. 

What you can do is change the python script on your ultimaker 3 to do as you like. More information regarding the blob and how to change this can be found here: Prime blob knocked down

Thanks very much for the ideas.

Bummer.  Well, hopefully in the future... man will have options to control the blob!

More specifically, I hope Cura enables more options to control the blob in the future (like squirt for N seconds, etc.).

I will have to try without the blob to see what it does.

Thanks again.

I am having the same problems with the blob being too big (the squirting lasts too long), it getting stuck to the hot end, and being dragged over into the print.  This happens every time I print using dual extruders and PVA in Extruder 2 of my Ultimaker 3.  There really needs to be a setting for how long the blob squirt lasts.

Another solution would be for the hot end to move up the entire time the blob is being created.  Right now it only moves up at the end of the squirt.

Just an idea, but if you use some kind of glue for bed adhesion you could check if you have the glue also in the corner where the blob will be placed. Maybe the blob sticks then better to the glass and will not be carried away with the print head.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Just an idea, but if you use some kind of glue for bed adhesion you could check if you have the glue also in the corner where the blob will be placed. Maybe the blob sticks then better to the glass and will not be carried away with the print head.

I use a PVA slutty and rarely have this happen. And when it does happen, I find I did not get that area cleaned and primed with the slurry.

Doing something to get the blob to stick to the plate sounds like a good idea.  I'll try these ideas.

Unfortunately it does not solve the issue with PVA getting stuck all over the hot end and building up if I don't clean the head.

I just stumbled upon the option to enable/disable the blob per extruder. Not sure when it was introduced but it is present in Cura v3.6

You can use a skirt or brim instead of the blob.

And I think for the S5 the prime blob is disabled by default. 

When I slice for the UM3 then I get the blob, but not on the S5, where the blob is not enabled per default.

22 minutes ago, CarloK said:

I just stumbled upon the option to enable/disable the blob per extruder. Not sure when it was introduced but it is present in Cura v3.6

You can use a skirt or brim instead of the blob.

I know for sure since 2.x

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

And I think for the S5 the prime blob is disabled by default. 

When I slice for the UM3 then I get the blob, but not on the S5, where the blob is not enabled per default.

Interesting, on our S5 the blob is enabled by default...