Can't slice when line width is 0.4 mm

hoegge

Posted · Can't slice when line width is 0.4 mm

When I set the line with to 0.4 mm on this model the slicing never ends. It finishes fine at at 0.39 mm. (Nozzle size is 0.4 mm, ABS, Printer: Ultimaker 3 Extended).

After a few attempts the "prepare" button stops to work too. The walls in the modal are not close to 1.2 mm or anything similar that could make it hard to slice.

How can I troubleshoot this? It should not happen, right? Tested a few other STLs which did not show the same problem.

Shaker tube holder v7_Shaker tube holder v7_Bund_1_Body1_Bund.stl

ScreenShot267.png

UM3E_Shaker tube holder v7_Shaker tube holder v7_Bund_1_Body1_Bund.curaproject.3mf

Posted (edited) · Can't slice when line width is 0.4 mm

Woiked for me...dunno what happened on your end. I used your project file too.

UM3E_5a79aa20650aa_UM3E_Shakertubeholderv7_Shakertubeholderv7_Bund_1_Body1_Bund.thumb.jpg.e5960d072af348a610e7fb15015f203f.jpg

Edit: Wait, I just realized your project file was not at 0.4 line width.

Updates as this story continues.......

Edited by kmanstudios

OK, I did put the line width at 0.4. It did bog down a bit for such a simple object. Dunno what that is about, but it did slice:

UM3E_5a79aa20650aa_UM3E_Shakertubeholderv7_Shakertubeholderv7_Bund_1_Body1_Bund2.thumb.jpg.bab8ba7199c5ef26a7774918623624aa.jpg

Then, just to push it, I put line width up to 0.6 and it sliced better (shorter time) and did slice well.

UM3E_5a79aa20650aa_UM3E_Shakertubeholderv7_Shakertubeholderv7_Bund_1_Body1_Bund3.thumb.jpg.d6e01b086668d549d89d0cba5026c431.jpg

So, back to the original statement...woiked for me.

Posted (edited) · Can't slice when line width is 0.4 mm

That's strange. I tried 0.6 mm too. It succeeded after 31 seconds. At 0.35 mm it takes 3 seconds. So I tried waiting for the 0.4 mm slicing and after 4 minutes it succeeded. There must be some bug somewhere.

When you load a project, do you get all the same settings as me - printer, filament and print setup?

ScreenShot270.png

(forgot to include the 0.4 mm line width setting in this first image - but it is there :-) )

ScreenShot269.png

ScreenShot268.png

Edited by hoegge

Well, all I can tell you is that it loads what you can see on the screenshots I put up. However, I did mention it bogged down on me and I may have a faster system than you. I am not sure it is a bug as it seems to be something more related to the ratio of geometry and slice widths. That is based on the fact that you had the same delay, just much longer. Sampling is a strange land and this may be one of those oddities.

I do know that if you are hitting buttons sometimes when Cura is thinking, it will bomb out on you and do strange things. Especially during a lag like this.

Yes, so you had the issue also to some degree. It is a bit strange, though, since there are no areas in the model, where the line width would be important (thin walls etc). It would be great if there was some way to get some additional diagnostic info or logging from the slicer when it is running.

6 minutes ago, hoegge said:

Yes, so you had the issue also to some degree. It is a bit strange, though, since there are no areas in the model, where the line width would be important (thin walls etc). It would be great if there was some way to get some additional diagnostic info or logging from the slicer when it is running.

I will agree with that. But by providing your project file it will allow for the propeller heads at team UM to take a look.

This would be a good thing for cura programmers to look into.  the best way to get that to happen is to get a github account and go onto the cura project and add a new issue with a link to your project file.  Mention the slicing times for different nozzle widths.

I think I can help here. The slowdown is due to some of my code that optimizes the order in which infill and skin is printed working too hard! The good news is that this was spotted a while back and 3.2 contains a fix that disables the optimization when there is more than a certain number of infill or skin lines to process. Now the really interesting question (at least from my point of view) is why is this model generating a very large number of skin line segments when it doesn't actually contain very much skin? I can see that it's generating far more line segments than it needs to in certain places so it will get further investigation. Anyway, sorry that this has taken up people's time.

• Like 2

Dear @smartavionics. Don't be sorry - the fact that you respond, have an idea of the reason and will look into makes giving feedback worth the while and this kind of interaction creates very loyal and happy customers that continues to give feedback the best they can. Thanks for that and I'm happy I have supported UM by buying an UM3E.

Thanks again