Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
cjs

"Big" blob and huge retraction UM3 after abort

I would like to report a bug, which can be seen occasionally on the Ultimaker 3. I think @kmanstudios and I already reported it when firmware 4 was released. It didn't get much attention because it wasn't seen after reflashing the firmware a couple of times. 

The bug: After aborting the print with the "abort this print" command the machine makes a blob and does a huge (way to long) retract (up to the error).

IMG_2435.thumb.jpg.e29e997002c85afa5755c541ca0fa48a.jpg

Attached are all the logfiles as a zip (had to add .log in order to upload it). 

I hope this helps to locate the bug! 

Logfiles.zip.log

Edited by cjs

I remember the UM3X being stuck on a purge blob/priming blob once or twice. Just sat there and kept spewing out material without moving from the blob location or stopping. But I seem to remember that it was purge, then abort, and then it would not abort and then had to manually shut down.

I do not remember the filament going up the tube like your pic though.

None of that has happened since though.

11 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

But I seem to remember that it was purge, then abort, and then it would not abort and then had to manually shut down

You may be right. Don't remember all the details. 

Hasn't happened to me for a while until recently. 

Wanted to report it as it is a bit annoying/unexpected and can hopefully be fixed.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, cjs said:

I would like to report a bug, which can be seen occasionally on the Ultimaker 3. I think @kmanstudios and I already reported it when firmware 4 was released. It didn't get much attention because it wasn't seen after reflashing the firmware a couple of times. 

The bug: After aborting the print with the "abort this print" command the machine makes a blob and does a huge (way to long) retract (up to the error).

IMG_2435.thumb.jpg.e29e997002c85afa5755c541ca0fa48a.jpg

Attached are all the logfiles as a zip (had to add .log in order to upload it). 

I hope this helps to locate the bug! 

Logfiles.zip.log

@cjs Sorry for going off-topic, but did you change the (material of) your bowden tubes? They look white instead of semi-transparent.

I have witnessed a similar problem several times after "abort print". It normally occurs during the extrusion of the prime blob. The print head buries itself in the prime blob, stays there for an extended period (much longer than a normal prime blob operation). It then drags the extra large prime blob across to the start of the printed part. At this point I normally abort the print and stop and clean the print head which is coated with filament. I have not noticed the large retraction, it may be occurring, but my attention is normally focused on cleaning the printhead. This never seems to happen after a fresh startup, only after an "abort print". I have the latest firmware in my UM3

Maybe a stupid question, my apologies in advance, but if this (only?) surfaces when you abort a print repeatedly, it usually means you want to stop the print for whatever reason. Could be a lot of reasons, except the one; print is done and finished. So for what reason does it matter if there is a blob / the nozzle stays on too long? The print is aborted, right? Probably going to be thrown away? Or is it just unexpected behavior we're reporting here?

I'm just curious if perhaps I can not come up with the scenario when this would be problematic. 

In my experience the blob occurs at the start of the "next" print after the abort. In most cases I am trying to reprint after the initial failed print, it is at the prime of the the next print where I get an oversized blob and a long delay during prime before the printhead moves to the start of actual object.

Perhaps my ssue is not what other responses are describing?

1 hour ago, CapableQuad said:

In my experience the blob occurs at the start of the "next" print after the abort. In most cases I am trying to reprint after the initial failed print, it is at the prime of the the next print where I get an oversized blob and a long delay during prime before the printhead moves to the start of actual object.

Perhaps my ssue is not what other responses are describing?

Whenever I have had this happen, it is when it starts to creep up high enough that I worry about the material filling into the printhead that I abort. Otherwise the same, I believe. I has been ages since it last happened.

On 20.4.2018 at 1:28 PM, SandervG said:

Or is it just unexpected behavior we're reporting here?

It's unexpected/wrong behavior as well as the worry that material fills the printhead ( @kmanstudios also reported such) and damages my printer if I don't watch out as it sometimes also goes the other way around. 

It hasn't happened to me since a long time, but I know it may happen as it hasn't been fixed . Would love to not have to think about it!

There is also another blob issue reported here: 

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I wonder if a firmware upgrade fixed this.

I would think it hasn't been fixed yet as this is the response from Ultimaker: 

On 18.4.2018 at 3:15 PM, WesleyE said:

We know this can happen when you abort a print a couple of times in a row. This behaviour also leads to a print blob that becomes to big (the other way around). We have plans to improve this behaviour in the near future.

The good thing is it's on the radar of fixing ;D 

Just seeing this thread and I have another going on these forums, but as of the latest firmware, I can confirm that I have had the exact same problem @kmanstudios has had - twice in the past few days.  For me, it only occurs after the printer has been off for an extended period of time (a day or more) and when I do my first print.  After I manually power it off and on (and acknowledge I have cleared the bed), the print automatically resumes and has no issue.

It's just super annoying since there are no guarantees as to when it will happen and, when it does, if you aren't watching it, it will dispense filament up into your print head.  It has already warped the silicon cover that protects the two hot ends.

If you want to see my other thread (which includes YouTube videos of the event), go here:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/21956-freeze-on-nozzle-purge/

Hope this helps (and we can get an answer to this).

Edited by chuckmcgee