Monster print

thingster

Posted · Monster print

Hey guys,

A few days ago I found a cool 3d model of a "headcrab" on Thingiverse which is a fictional alien-like enemy found in the Half-Life video game series but I guess most of you already know these little guys. I thought that it could be a great little gift for a good friend of mine who is a huge Half-Life fan so I printed it on my Ultimaker and did some post-processing for a smooth surface finish. I also painted it with an airbrush gun. The figurine is about 11 cm long.

Here are some pics of it. Hope you like it.

ruao.jpg

wj6.jpg

t6fo.jpg

qyjy.jpg

zpmb.jpg

l85x.jpg

Posted · Monster print

Very nice paint job. I hated those things in half-life. Always hard to shoot as they get under your feet. They make my skin crawl (like spiders).

Posted · Monster print

hahaha @ Ian!

And very nice paintjob indeed!! Overall a nice looking print, but the funny thing is that it doesn't look like a 3D printed object anymore.

What did your friend say?

Posted · Monster print

As I was reading the post and had the image at the bottom of my screen I was sure that was a render... Damn nice job man.

Posted · Monster print

My friend was quite happy of course.

For post-processing only a little bit of dremel, sandpaper, and acetone vapor. Nothing special here. It's ABS with layer heights of 0.15 mm, so it was more a "rough" model before.

Thank you guys! :)

Posted · Monster print

oh ok, you used acetone on ABS, I thought it was PLA. I'm interested in printing with ABS just for that reason, but I don't have a heated bed yet

Posted · Monster print

Guy be carefull with acetone and protect yours personnals jewels, Acetone may make you impotant...

Posted · Monster print

Guy be carefull with acetone and protect yours personnals jewels, Acetone may make you impotant...

Haha, impotent? Or do you mean important? :D Seriously, acetone is the candy under the chemicals. It's not toxic nor carcinogenic. It isn't even irritant to the body although it has some drying effect to the skin. Of course nobody wants to breath the acetone vapors, but even then it's not toxic at all although you might experience a little bit of headache thanks to the amount of acetone intruding the body. To be honest, the body produces acetone contentiously for itself as it is a derivative of so-called ketones which is a metabolic waste product. You have always a bit of acetone in you as a part of your metabolism.

If you want to try the bad stuff then use DCM (but I won't recommend). ;)

Posted · Monster print

Can you pls advise, what model of air brush did you use, and what kind of paint? And one more question did you use any lacquer?

Thanks in advance

Posted · Monster print

No lacquer. The airbrush gun strongly depends on your preferences. It's not a good idea to give recommendations there because everyone has other needs. The only point I want to emphasize is to NOT buy cheap airbrush guns from eBay. Their quality is just so bad that you won't have any fun with them. Because of colors you can use every airbrush color you like. Don't buy the cheap ones. With the not-so-cheap stuff you will get good results, independent from the brand.

Posted · Monster print

Beautiful model very well done, makes me want to switch to abs printing.

Posted · Monster print

why switch to ABS printing... this model would be no problem to do in really nice quality PLA.

Ian :-)

Beautiful model very well done, makes me want to switch to abs printing.

Posted · Monster print

Very nice indeed. Could you tell us how long it took for the finishing.

Posted · Monster print

why switch to ABS printing... this model would be no problem to do in really nice quality PLA.

Ian :smile:

I would assume because he wants the convenience of using acetone for finishing. It's a lot quicker and easier to let the model sit in vapour for a little while rather than using sandpaper and polish for hours to get the same result ;)

Posted · Monster print

I would assume because he wants the convenience of using acetone for finishing. It's a lot quicker and easier to let the model sit in vapour for a little while rather than using sandpaper and polish for hours to get the same result ;)

Spot on, even with sanding (dremmel) and filler and filler primer, pla still is a touch rough.

Posted · Monster print
    Very nice indeed. Could you tell us how long it took for the finishing.

If you'd like to include the drying process because of the vapor then a few hours.