Noise when swapping printcores and moving past Z bearings

GFlow

Posted · Noise when swapping printcores and moving past Z bearings

Hi so I have have had my UM3 extended for about 2 weeks now and I just oiled the bearings last week for the x and y axis and it is starting to make some weird noises.  Please see the videos here.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/RRrgZTrEF5HUilKC3

Issue 1. For some reason when swapping print heads I can't get the sound to go away when the lever enters the opening.  I tried re calibrating a few times and that didn't work.   

Issue 2.  It looks like the x/y plastic piece is hitting the upright z bearings on both sides.  How do I fix this or is this normal?  

Thanks,

Greg

If you are referring to the sound when the lever is activated in the lever catch, that is not bad. My first one sounded like some kinda groan LOL. But the ka-thunk sound is not present in either of my machines. I noticed that in both vids. It wounds like something is hitting something else, but I have no idea what....sorry I could not be more help.

I think it is time to consult the volcano of knowledge, @gr5

I think its the plastic bracket hitting the upright z bearing.  I don't know how to adjust it however.

40 minutes ago, GFlow said:

I think its the plastic bracket hitting the upright z bearing.  I don't know how to adjust it however.

Well, the sliding block at the back is just slanted a bit. You can twist it back in place. And while you are at it - take sure that the rod does not stick out on the back of the sliding block. That's all. The glorious @fbrc8-erin made a video:

Reseating Sliding Blocks

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Yep that did it! What do you think causes it to get offset like that?  Perhaps when I was manually moving the printhead to lubricate the x/y shafts?

So there is still some sounds while printing and I think it is due to play in the axles as I can move one of them back and forth with my hand.  I am trying to re calibrate the print head as seen here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/50679-check-for-play-on-axles.  I am confused on when it says to check to make sure the axles are in the middle of the bearings.  What exactly does that mean.  Also when using the calibration sticks it says to tighten the set screws, but I thought I already did that on a previous step?  Am I missing something?

Hi, Gflow,

Any time the printhead shafts get popped out of the sliding block halves, it's worth double checking to make sure they're fully seated back and in the right location afterwards. 

Each of the frame panels has bearings pressed into it during assembly. If you put your finger on each side of the rod on the outside of the printer, the rod shouldn't stick out on either end. Does that make sense, or would a video help?

If the rods have play, you have to loosen the pulleys to push the pulleys back up against the wall, so it's worth double checking that they're actually aligned still after you've done that.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes that does make sense, no need for a video!  Thanks

So I went and checked all the bearings and they look/feel good to go, but it still rattles.  See video below, there is a metallic rattle that wasn't there before.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hwRO4urjYHRY8eAX2

I think the clicking noise you are hearing is the bed continuously self leveling.  You may hear that clicking sound for as much as the first 10mm of the print.

Does that sound about right Erin?

Posted (edited) · Noise when swapping printcores and moving past Z bearings

Yup. That one sounds like the regular active leveling noise. Sounds just like mine: 

Edited by fbrc8-erin

3 minutes ago, fbrc8-erin said:

Yup. That one sounds like the regular active leveling noise. Sounds just like mine: 

So maybe I don't understand, but where is yours making the same noise?  I am talking about the noise from 20 seconds to 24 seconds in my video.

You need to fast forward to Video 4 of 12 to get to the active leveling noise that Erin is referring to.  Erin is with with Fbrc8, the U.S. assembler and distributor for Ultimaker.  She knows what she's talkn' about.

I think if you reach under the build plate during the time that your noise is most prevalent and just lightly touch the Z screw, you'll feel it.

Could be the blue painters tape is upsetting the calibration.  If you are printing with PLA, you probably don't need it as long as your bed is at 60°  Try printing the same part with a clean glass.  I use 91% isopropyl alcohol, with a paper towel, but the more common 70% will certainly due.

Here's a really good read by Daid on the whole self leveling concept.

Hope this helps.

I'm so sorry, Gflow. I linked the wrong video previously. I've gone back and edited my original post now:

Yeah it doesn't sound the same to me.  The noise only happens when the print head is changing directions, it doesn't make the noise when travelling in a straight line..  Also I am printing with nylon, and I had been using just the glass for the first few prints, and it worked great, but now the prints aren't sticking, that is why I went to the painters tape.

Posted (edited) · Noise when swapping printcores and moving past Z bearings
    On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, GFlow said:

The noise only happens when the print head is changing directions, it doesn't make the noise when travelling in a straight line.. 

I have exactly the same noises - it is as though something is loose and rattling (definitely not the levelling noises).

Follow-up ... yes, there's something rattling in the print head unit. But I've done a lot more investigation and there ARE also levelling noises. Just touching the build-plate screw I can feel the screw moving fractionally.

Edited by emtee
    Follow-up