Change of layer thickness during printing?

viennamik

Posted · Change of layer thickness during printing?

Hi,

is it possible to change the layer hight via cura during printing (for example from 0.2 to 0.05 for the layer 5mm to 8mm)?

This would be nice for some details ;-)

regards from Vienna

Michael

It's not currently supported in Cura, or any other slicer as far as I know. You could slice the file at different resolutions, and then edit the files together in a text editor prior to printing.

It's not easy to do as a plugin I don't think. Well I suppose you could slice at high resolution and the plugin could delete every other layer (and double extruder feedrate) where you want to print faster.

I've wished for this feature myself.

It's also possible in netfabb. Just use 50 micron half-layers for all layer type definitions on whatever layers you want printed thin and 200 micron "every second layer" assignments on the layers you want printed thick. You can define these two strategies as "Regions" and assign them on a layer-by-layer basis (or on the basis of layer number ranges or layer area or perimeter length ranges).

Since Slic3r 0.9.9 it's possible.

BTW, it's possible to vary layer height in netfabb to multiples other than 1, 2, and 4, but you have to be clever about it. You can create a region definition that disables/suppresses some or all extrusion/layer types (creating "null" layers, if you wish). Then you increase the flow by the correct arithmetic multiplier for the actual printed layers. All of this stuff is adjustable on a layer-by-layer basis.

can you do me a favor and post a description or better, a screenshot how and where this setting is in slic3r? I have been looking for it ever since it came out (0.99), but I can't find the setting or the mechanism, or the description for this feature.

I would also appreciate explanations from somebody else how this "variable Z layer thickness" is supposed to work in slic3r: the only thing I found is "infill every n layers" (old and boring)

Just tried 0.05 layer height, and have good impression, but speed also important, so it is really good idea to get different layer size in stated z-heights. Probably it is good idea to add some feature like add another settings for stated height. Some is possible by plugins, but it only set temp and speed.

hey why not ask for variable infill rate while we are at it. More seriously, I also think this feature would be awesome, but implementing it would be really hard: While the logic and gcode for that is quite simple (what gr5 said pretty much), making an interface for it would be really hard, it's not just adding a couple of fields and checkboxes

Finally found the feature: http://manual.slic3r.org/VariableLayerHeight.html