Printer Settings plugin

ahoeben

Posted (edited) · Printer Settings plugin

I have created a nifty plugin for Cura that adds a new category "Printer Settings" to the sidebar. This category contains many of the machine settings that are normally not available from the GUI eg the Nozzle Size, and settings that could make time estimates more accurate.

image.thumb.png.2759d6e4d0ab28ef7d427fb6005ce5fb.png

Note: Changes made in the sidebar override values set in the machine definition or in the chosen nozzle size variant, and end up in quality profiles. This may have unexpected results. It is not recommended to use this plugin unless you understand the implications.

Like other settings, you don't have to make them all visible or even understand what they do. I encourage you to use the Search... on top of the sidebar to find the setting you need.

I have submitted the plugin for availability in the Plugin Browser, but until it is available there you can download it here:

http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/v4/PrinterSettingsPlugin.curaplugin

Edit: since posting this, I have fixed an issue where the new settings have an arbitrary order. They are now sorted in a more logical order.

Edited by ahoeben
Updated screenshot
  • Like 4

Posted · Printer Settings plugin

Nice one @ahoeben. I do not really know how the interaction works - do these settings override my firmware settings (Repetier Host), or does the firmware override the Cura settings? I had always assumed the latter.

You know what? I don't know. These are settings that are already sent to CuraEngine, but normally they are only settable in .def.json files. I don't know exactly how they affect the gcode that is generated, and if firmware overrides these settings.

I assume that a number of these settings making sure that they match what is set in the firmware will lead to more accurate time estimations.

Edit: thinking about it that way means that for at least the settings that affect time estimations, it would mean that the firmware settings overrule what is set in the sidebar.

All that the plugin does is making already available settings that are normally hidden settable in the sidebar. Realize there's a reason these settings are normally hidden; using them can have unexpected results.

Edited by ahoeben

Hi @ahoeben When I discovered this today I was totally excited! Finally I could get to tune my time estimates by synchronizing the values for max/accel/jerk and also I would get to enable Firmware Retraction which is disabled by my selection of RepRap GCode Flavor - sadly all of the settings I would like to change, I cannot change. I can type new values into max/accel/jerk but they reset themselves immediately as soon as I take to focus to another input field. When clicking Firmware Retraction it does not tick it.
    Strange thing is: when I change all the settings and then go to the profile manager, I can see all values how I set them in the profile manager of my current selected profile and I can even update the profile based on the current settings and it says they are persisted. Still they won't be accepted. Estimated times do not change and it does still create regular retractions in GCode instead of `G10/G11`.

What have I done wrong? What am I missing? I am using Cura 3.3.0 AppImage on Arch Linux.

That sounds exactly like a bug in the 3.3 beta. Are you sure you are using the “stable” version? There’s a 3.3.1 version too.

I use Cura-3.3.0.AppImage from https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases which to me occurs to be the final version of 3.3.0.

Usually I use the version that is in the package repos but they have not yet been update from 3.2.1. The AppImage is an acceptable alternative for me meanwhile but 3.3.1 is only available as source code AFAIK and even though I am capable of compiling it from source I'd rather not.

EDIT: I tried compiling it from source - or rather updating the package - but startup fails due to something missing related to Ultimaker S5.

Edited by wilriker

A 3.3.1 appimage can be downloaded from http://software.ultimaker.com

• Thanks 1

OK, I downloaded 3.3.1 AppImage which starts correctly but the problem with the plugin persists. I also tried a new profile (or rather I duplicated "Draft quality") but also not able to change the settings for max/accel/speed and FW.

I can change e.g. steps/mm or feeder wheel diameter - I could already do that in 3.3.0.

I got this working now - even though definitely not the intended way. ?

As I said I cannot make the settings via the UI so that they take effect. Instead I need to edit the file

~/.local/share/cura/3.3/definition_changes/<print_name>_settings.inst.cfg

which was probably the way I could have done this already.
    There I can enter all settings with their respective names that I found in 

resources/definitions/fdmprinter.def.json

directly. These changes are also reflected in the UI if I enable the visibility for these settings (which in turn requires the plugin to be installed).

This means the plugin is at least able to read these values if I adjust them manually in the config file. One strange exception is the setting of machine_endstop_positive_direction_z which I set to false in the config file but still is ticked in the UI. No idea why.

Still, setting this via UI would be a lot easier and preferable, so if I can help to get this working the correct way, let me know, I am glad to assist here. Also this way I have to stop Cura, change the setting in config file and start Cura again, so it would be much easier to have this changeable on the fly via UI.

Edited by wilriker

Now perhaps you could turn your attention to writing something that would carry Machine settings forward from one version of Cura to the next? 

It is infuriating to have to recreate all the Machine settings every time Cura drops a new version, which seems to be at least monthly lately. I can't believe that the Cura team keeps propagating this stupid "feature" after many years.

6 hours ago, wilriker said:

I got this working now - even though definitely not the intended way. ?

Doing it manually like this already worked before using the plugin. Changing settings in the plugin should have the same effect.

I have just reproduced your issue, and am looking for a way to fix it.

@wilriker, could you download the plugin and install it again?

http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/v4/PrinterSettingsPlugin.curaplugin

The settings that automatically reverted should now "stick".

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The settings that automatically reverted should now "stick".

Great, this one is working now! Perfect and thanks a lot, this is very helpful. ☺️

One thing is still left: having set 

machine_endstop_positive_direction_z = false

in the config file does not remove the tick from the UI (because default value for this one would be true). I can though remove the tick in UI (which I am unsure if it was one of those that reverted automatically but I tend to it has been changeable all the time).

Given, this is not anywhere near to be important for slicing, just you know it's not working as expected.

I think this is a bug in Cura; machine_endstop_positive_direction_z is not marked to be a global setting, so you have to set it on the extruder.

~/.local/share/cura/3.3/definition_changes/<print_name>_fdmextruder_settings.inst.cfg

edit: Well, in theory I guess you could have different endstops per extruder. Anyway, the setting goes into the extruder, not the global stack.

Edited by ahoeben

I've been trying for a while now, but I can not find out where to copy this file.?

2 hours ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

I've been trying for a while now, but I can not find out where to copy this file.?

I just drag-and-drop'd it onto the running Cura window and it installed it automatically.

• Thanks 2

The plugin is now available in the Toolbox

Having an issue with the firmware retract in this plugin.

Using Cura 3.2.0.

This is the code generated without the setting turned on:

G1 F1500 E-3
    G1 F300 Z0.7
    G0 F2769.2 X157.281 Y47.142 Z0.7
    M566 X900 Y900
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER
    G1 F300 Z0.2
    G1 F1500 E3.02658

Code generated with firmware retract turned on:

G10
    G1 F300 Z0.7
    G0 F2769.2 X157.281 Y47.142 Z0.7
    M566 X900 Y900
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER
    G1 F300 Z0.2
    G11
    G1 F1500 E195.12999

Its the last line that is causing problems. When the unretract happens I get a 195mm blob before it returns to printing. 

It looks like its putting an absolution extruder position instead of a relative one.  

Not sure why its even putting this line in. Should it not take care of it in the G11 command?

M207 S2.5 F3600 T1200 Z0.3            ;Set Firmware Retract, 2.5mm retract at 60mm/sec.  Un-Retract at 20mm/sec. 0.3mm zhop

Anyway to fix this problem?

@Foulkn This is a known bug in CuraEngine (the part that does the actual slicing in the background). It happens if relative extrusion and firmware retract are used in combination with a third setting. One of the problematic third settings I know of is Coasting but there might be others. If you disable anyone of them everything works as expected.

This bug has already been fixed but will only be in the next release. 3.5 or 4.0, not sure on what it will be.

EDIT: one other third setting would most probably be of you have configured an extra prime amount in Cura.

Edited by wilriker
    Clarification of why it happens
    • Thanks 2

I can not get the settings visibel in 3.4.1 or 4.0

Try 3.6. The plugin is available through the marketplace in that version.

It looks like the Cura Settings Guide plugin is no longer available in the Cura v4.0 Marketplace. Are there plans to update it so it will be available in Cura v4.0?

48 minutes ago, saturntech said:

It looks like the Cura Settings Guide plugin is no longer available in the Cura v4.0 Marketplace. Are there plans to update it so it will be available in Cura v4.0?

It's there right now...

Screenshot_2019-04-06_15-35-30.thumb.png.b4c5e630e6fd5c4b9bd8507db90497c6.png

Hmm, I'm not seeing it in the Marketplace or in your screenshot. Are you referring to "Printer Settings"? That's something different.