Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
PAFablab

PVA Breaking in Feeder

While observing my print I noticed that my extruder 2, which holds PVA, continues to "print", but nothing is coming out. All the while Extruder 1 is printing just fine. I begin to think it was a tiny glitch and that the print would self correct, but the PVA material completely stopped extruding even though the Bowden tubes were full of the material. After ending the print I realized that the PVA material broke inside of the feeder which is strange because it had never done that with my previous prints. Can anyone explain why this is happening?  

Well don't let the PVA stay hot in the nozzle for more than 10 minutes or it tends to bake itself into a semi permanent gunk.  You need to do repeated hot and cold pulls (do it from the UM3 menu) to get that core cleaned out again.

Not sure what the original cause of your grinding would be but if the filament is too dry it will be brittle (break off the end at the end of the spool to test it) and if it gets too wet then it boils and pops and snaps and I could imagine maybe it can't keep up with demand (too much pressure in nozzle) and would grind to dust back in the feeder.

Try to keep the filament in the bag with the dessicant whenever you aren't using PVA or Nylon.  other filaments aren't so sensitive to humidity.

• Like 2

I recently had that effect of broken PVA too. It actually broke at insertion (when the feeder loads it). Interestingly everything was fine when I cut off the part that was inside the Bowden tube. The room which this happened in was also rather on the dry side.

• Like 1