Printing Porshe 911

Posted · Printing Porshe 911

I designed a Porsche 911 which is missing some pieces of the layers toward the top but the support material builds as the Porsche's roof were there along with most the roof is displayed. This problem is only shown when in layer view.

1173695342_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.b0ef50fb6bf9d51703cab8c30e9e476c.png535782008_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.44bad5e134ec0930d368d26622b9f080.png94553557_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.e71bb154f49389fa3a2e1139b4164c7c.png686062726_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.e3dea4a7b32bff0e5539e4dc8ad3aeac.png

Yes I did create the model, after repairing the model there is still a gap not as large or as elevated but a few layers wide. Any ideas what I did wrong? Also I used Solidworks to design the model. 938510929_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.2037e7254c5d7d4d6f7fd60f461607ab.png

What cad software (I asked earlier also)?

First thing to do is look at the model in xray view.  If you see any red then that's the problem.

Did you use sketchup? If so read this - it might be as easy as right-clicking all gray surfaces and swapping faces.  Very easy to do:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

I am wondering about what @gr5 said as well as if the model may be made too close to actual scale and got too thin also. From the look, it also looks to be very low res...

49 minutes ago, gr5 said:

To save time, if I ask 2 questions, it would be good if you answered both.  Sorry to bitch a bit.

He did answer both.....

2 hours ago, MasterZerker said:

Yes I did create the model

2 hours ago, MasterZerker said:

Also I used Solidworks to design the model. 

42 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

He did answer both.....

@kmanstudios - you forgot to say sorry to bitch a bit... ?

I know this problem myself. It happens if i create a model in scale 1:1 and scale it down in cura. It's logically that the shell is too thin in this case.

I wonder if there is a simple trick I have not been able to find so far ...

1 hour ago, UbuntuBirdy said:

I wonder if there is a simple trick I have not been able to find so far ...

That would depend on the package you are using. Also,  after a bit of experience, you can start to build things in print scale rather than real scale when it comes to supersized objects like a car or house. I mean, even the 1/8 scale car models I have that are injection molded are way out of whack on actual scale, never mind a 1/350 scale starship like the  Enterprise.

1 hour ago, UbuntuBirdy said:

@kmanstudios - you forgot to say sorry to bitch a bit...

Naw, not bitching.....just letting him know that the person did not ignore him.

10 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Naw, not bitching.....just letting him know that the person did not ignore him.

I know, I was only joking.

I need the models in real scale and if I have to build them in a print scale I have to do the work twice. You know, I'm a lazy boy and that's why I am looking for a easier way, like a minimal-shell-thickness-function or something like that.

4 hours ago, UbuntuBirdy said:

I need the models in real scale and if I have to build them in a print scale I have to do the work twice.

That is the difference in some packages. Sometimes you can just put a modifier on the think objects that will beef it up. Also, have you read the Architecture series?

But is it really doing twice the work? One is a concept model....the other is a final project....or am I missing part of the process here.

4 hours ago, UbuntuBirdy said:

I know, I was only joking.

ohhhhh...duhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

But is it really doing twice the work? One is a concept model....the other is a final project....or am I missing part of the process here.

In my case (boat architecture) the printed model is just for fun, nice to have, but not necessary. So yes, it would be almost twice the work.

If it is for fun, it is fun, not work.....well, ok....I am a sick puppy in that regard.

Seriously, an example for me would be to take say, a boat hull, bring it in at size for printing to 3DS Max and slap a 'push or shell modifier' on it as a whole, or just by selecting a few things and telling it to just go ahead and push the vertices in local directions outward by say, 0.4mm (to really be safe) or 0.2mm just to try and not make it nutso.

Eazy Peezy, lemon squeezy.......

you could try to upload it to Shapeways, you will get a yellow triangle where it says 'view issues'

Click on it and it will take you to a 3d tools window. Click on the Wall Thickness, probably yellow, and it will show you the problems in the right window. Turn off 'heat map' and it will give you the button 'fix thin walls'

The result can be saved and downloaded.

Hope it works for you...

Only the hull or even the whole casco is really no problem, there are many possibilities to manage the problem. But printing the finished boat incl. the whole interior, this is what burns my brain... Probably your tip about the architecture series is what would fix my problem, but man, I'm a reeeeealy lazy dog... Perhaps, if I'm bored enough, I will start to modify the hundrets of details in my main project...

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the architecture series, it's extremely interesting!