How to print in place?

Posted · How to print in place?

I have been printing for awhile now, and I have never managed to get a "print in place" print to work correctly.  What I mean is that any print that has movable parts that are intended to be printed as a single unit, never actually move.  The parts are welded to each other.

This happens no matter what slicer I use (Cura or S3D) and no matter what print material or brand I use.

Additionally (and probably caused by the same issue), any time I print a part that should fit in another part (with small tolerances), it never fits.  I understand that there is expansion and shrinkage in 3d printing, and the various reasons that the occurs, but clearly other people have managed to get these prints to work just fine.

Any advice?

I have not managed with the things I downloaded. Some of the things they say are print in place are not that well made.

What are you trying to print, what size nozzle in use and what size print?

I use the 0.4 nozzle, and as far as the print, there have been many over the last year or so.  They are all parts that dozens of other people report perfect success with.

Posted (edited) · How to print in place?

I have printed a few items both downloaded and my own design. Have you tried Robert's Dust Filter I have printed this in a FF Dreamer and a UM2 Clone. I am planning on printing a similar item but 2 colors on UM3 tho i havent decided on what to print (more like I am lazy of design at this time ? ).

The key problem here is tolerance and clearance for printers are different. My FF requires around 0.10 - 0.15mm clearance per side that has contact for a circle it will be diameter + 2 x Clearance. For a UM I only need 1x of the clearance.

Edited by jffry7

Maybe your over extruding, to hot nozzle or to fast printing. Those are the things I can think of. 

The few models I have tried, the makerbot robot and the socket wrench from nasa, required that your printer is well adjusted. 

If you can post a picture i’m sure someone can tell you right away what the problem is. 

Yes I have the same problem when download some model from thingiverse. and I used to have makerbot printer and it works perfect with mostly all print in place model (lefab Makerfaire Robot, Jack Platform...etc). and when I use my UM3 and UM s5. The parts all fused together. I was wondering whats the setting at cura cause that.

unless you post a project file that did that, it is a loooooot of guesswork.

Same here. Every print-in-place model I've ever attempted on my Ultimaker S5 has been fused despite following instructions to the letter. And the standard Thingiverse response is "The problem's on your end. I've printed a thousand of these and they all work fine and dandy."

Every printer is different and has different tolerances. Use a negative value for horizontal expansion, print slower, cooler and you will have success.

• Like 1

User MakersMuse on Youtube has designed a testpart with various tolerances, specially for this purpose. After printing, you can see which parts still move, and which not. Then you know what tolerances you need to apply in your own designs.

Also, printing circumstances have a huge influence: printing hotter, will melt them more together. Thick layers will reduce accuracy, as well as printing fast. So, printing slow, cool and in thin layers should give best results. Theoretically...