Spaceclaim

Yup! <sigh> These old crap aps (single threaded) would probably run faster on my 3.8 GHz P4! Even then, the doubled portions of the older and very long pipelined Willamette architecture ("Hyperthreading") would still not be used.

<snip>...but if you have an application that was written and designed in 1998, and has been on life support and no active development since the early 2000's (such as alibre design), all of that extra power is totally wasted. and I am afraid plenty of those windows CAD apps fall under this category.

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Spaceclaim

I just installed and did a few quick tests on the DesignSpark software (which is re-branded spaceclaim with a few options cut out).

Missing options are:

* Ability to add text (which is a bit of a shame)

* Sheet-metal tools (which is no problem for 3D printing, as you do not need them)

* Ability to convert meshes to solid (important, I'll explain a bit later)

* Ability to make documentation. Not that important for 3D printing, but important if you are using SpaceClaim professionally. So I fully understand they kept this out.

* Repair tools (mostly useful to fix up STL files with holes before editing)

Other then that, it's pretty complete for what you would need.

Now, there is 1 final issue. And that's import/exporting. DesignSpark can:

* Open STL files, but not edit them, because they are loaded as meshes instead of solids

* It does NOT Open SpaceClaim files (I guess intentionally)

* STEP files can be opened, but only in read-only mode. No edits.

* But, SKP files from Sketchup can be opened, and edited!

So, the way to get your model into DesignSpark seems to be by loading it into sketchup first, saving them, and then loading them into DesignSpark. But of a long way around, but I think it's worth it, as the editing tools are quite awesome.

This is a copy of a post I made on the PP3DP forum 3 weeks ago:

I've been using Alibre 2012 PE for well over a year now. However I recently took a look at SpaceClaim in its stripware version (DesignSpark). I only spent an afternoon with it but I have to say I completely missed the point. The videos's of push/pull modeling look fantastic, but when I tried to produce a simple engineering part with it I struggled badly. Getting the rough shape is very easy but tying it down with dimensions was impossible. Sure you can set dimensions ok but with out constraints its all lost the moment a wall is pushed. I guess I am imposing my parametric constraint driven methods onto a program that doesn't have them. I just don't see the equivalent in DesignSpark though. I can see that layers go some way towards this but within a layer nothing holds any relationship.

So does anyone used SpaceClaim for engineering parts, because I've definitely missed the point?

For me, I need the feature tree/history style used by Alibre/Cubify.

Posted · Spaceclaim

So does anyone used SpaceClaim for engineering parts, because I've definitely missed the point?

For me, I need the feature tree/history style used by Alibre/Cubify.

If you are used to the feature-tree then you'll have to change how you think. Because that's not how it works.

For accurate pushing/pulling, use the number entry, not the drag/drop style. I usually use the dragging a bit, and then do the fine-tuning with entering the number.

(The dual-extrusion mounting aid was designed in spaceclaim: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dual-extrusion-mounting-aid )

Holly shit it works! I installed DesignWorks Mechanical and Sketchup on my gaming rig and imported some .stl models.

I had to select Sketchup version 7 upon saving in Sketchup - but that's fine.

Now off to learn DesignWorks/Spaceclaim.

Thanks again Daid!

Now off to learn DesignWorks/Spaceclaim.

Nicolinux how did you get on with Designworks?

I get supplied sketchup files from Architects and exporting as .stl often produces totally unprintable models. I can fix them but too time consuming.

I am not very far. Basic things like sketching and pull/push are alright, but i'd like to get to the more advanced stuff. I didn't try to import anything, only create stuff from scratch.

Posted · Spaceclaim

I am not very far. Basic things like sketching and pull/push are alright, but i'd like to get to the more advanced stuff. I didn't try to import anything, only create stuff from scratch.

We had a training in Spaceclaim a while ago. I'm quite good with it now, I had Designspark open next to it to see what features it lacked, and there where only a few minor things that where missing.

There are aome pretty good tutorial videos on the SpaceClaim site, also SpaceClaim does webcasts every week or two, which are a good way to see a pro using the software live, and get a feel for how all the various bits fit together.

Posted · Spaceclaim

I have recently put in a little time on Design Spark mechanical, and after the usual beginners problems, I find it quite nice to use.

The only thing I sorely miss was a mirroring function for symmetrical objects or 2d drawings. if you have logged more time on the program I would like to know if you have found this function. The help file says it exists but it seems to have been removed for the free version.

It's amazing to see that recently programs have come up for free that would have set you back thousands of bucks or Euros a few years ago.

Armed with design Spark and cubify Design, I think one could face quite a few challenging CAD projects. The availability of these programs greatly impacts the use of the 3d printer. If you can't draw the thing you can't print it....

Posted · Spaceclaim

Well I know a lot of people like designspark/spaceclaim, and I've seen some impressive designs done with it. It's hard to deny designsparks value for money as well.

But when I checked it out I did not see any way to parametise a design. For example, I have designed a spur gear with a module of 1.2 and later decide to change it to 1.5. Is that possible in designspark? With a parametric driven design its just a matter of changing the module value.

(I use Geomagic Design 2014).

Posted · Spaceclaim

There are some limited parametric features in designspark. But for gears/pulleys I wouldn't use it (I would use OpenSCAD) As it's clearly not intended for generated stuff like that.

I always tell people that every tool has it's own use. Never try to find a single thing that fits all.

Posted · Spaceclaim

Thanks Daid,

I wondered if I'd missed it.

Posted · Spaceclaim

BTW, SpaceClaim has just released an update with new 3D printing related features:

http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Products/3DPrinting.aspx

Posted · Spaceclaim

I googling around, find a solution to let you modifiy STEP model through DS Mechanical.

http://www.reppersdelight.spacymen.com/index.php/post/2013/10/22/How-to-modify-a-STEP-file-is-DesignSpark-Mechanical

Posted · Spaceclaim

Indeed, works perfect... I also discovered it already thru google ... don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page for the real solution ...

• import your step design in DSMech
    • create a new solid (a cylinder for ex.)
    • right-click on the top-most assembly name in the tree
    • unlock

I wonder how long it will take them to find out and "repair" this feature ;)

• Like 1

Posted · Spaceclaim

and for the need to create text in DSM ... just create "3D text" in sketchup, I think it's the easyest to use no fill and no extrusion, scale already to desired dimensions in sketchup, save as sketchup 8, import and pull in DSM ....

Posted · Spaceclaim

Indeed, works perfect... I also discovered it already thru google ... don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page for the real solution ...

• import your step design in DSMech

• create a new solid (a cylinder for ex.)

• right-click on the top-most assembly name in the tree

• unlock

I wonder how long it will take them to find out and "repair" this feature ;)

Holy shit, that actually worked. (Not that I needed to modify the step files, but it's good to have them all unlocked)

Posted · Spaceclaim

Recently 3dsystems has brought out SpaceClaim under yet another name: Geomagic Design Direct 2014.

There is a 15 day trial , I downloaded this and when I tried to run it , DesignSpark mechanical would start. So I looked at the files and it seems that GeoMagic Design Direct and designSpark are one and the same program. In the folders the name SpaceClaim is all over the place. They did not even take the time to relabel the program files. Only the licence file is different between designspark and Spaceclaim. ( plus perhaps some parts of the program that are not installed).

This means what I have seen several times on startup of DesignSpark is correct. For a split second just before the splash screen I saw a menu bar with a lot more functions....

I guess to make the test version run one has to de install design spark first. I did not try this as I am not sure its possible to roll back to the DesignSpark installation. If some of you have a second computer you might try this and see the glory of the full Spaceclaim program for two weeks.

Perhaps we are going to see a major re release of Spaceclaim and they will dump the older version for a decent price. I dont know how much 3dsystems want for a full version, but I do not think they can undersell Spaceclaim at the moment.

DesignSpark / SpaceClaim ROCKS. This is simply the best system I have seen so far. I recently did an "introduction to 3d printing" demonstration and the 8 year old son of a friend was in the audience. He downloaded DesignSpark a day after the show and is happily doing 3d designs now, after a few hints from me. It is that simple to use but the true power is under the hood and I have so far never been really stuck in a dead end when I did a design.

Posted · Spaceclaim

DesignSpark / SpaceClaim ROCKS.

I like it quite a lot also. I am still much faster in sketchup but I try to do everything in DSM now. Illuminarti bought the full version (spaceClaim). I'm quite good in DSM but need to start assigning shortcut keys to get as fast (about 10X faster) as I am in google sketchup. But I love the feel of DSM - I like the workflow better than sketchup. I like that you don't have to worry about accidentally creating holes in your part or inner walls.

Posted · Spaceclaim

I don't know if it is related but I experimented with the unlocking in DSM and didn't get it work (unlock). After that I can not save design files any more (rsdoc files). I already uninstalled the packedge and installed it again but that didn't help. So now I have a not working designspark... Have no clue in how to resolve that one. Probably the registry got corrupted and is not restored during reinstall. Also the repair functionally in the installer did not help. It gave me an error.

In the meantime I have switched to FreeCad since I do want to be able to design parts...

Hello All,

SimClaim is a new simulation software for SpaceClaim. It can do structural and electromagnetic analysis. I think it will be useful for all SpaceClaim users who wish to virtually test their models and designs. Please visit SimClaim.com for more details. Now for a limited time, SimClaim is offering free trial version on their website.

Regards,

SimClaim team

Can I use simClaim with DSM?

Hmmm, the page you requested cannot be found....

The download request ends in a non existing webpage ....

edit: you'll get a mail link ..