UMS5 Does anyone know anything about making changes to the firmware to change the print initialization sequence?

powpai

Posted · UMS5 Does anyone know anything about making changes to the firmware to change the print initialization sequence?

Does anyone know how to make changes to the firmware to remove the autoleveling sequence from the print initialization on the S5? It takes my printer exactly 10 minutes to completely heat up the print bed and the nozzles so it can properly autolevel and its just too much when I have to do 64 9 minute prints. (the reason I'm not doing them all on the same print bed is because each part is being printed with drastically different settings for a DOE).

Posted · UMS5 Does anyone know anything about making changes to the firmware to change the print initialization sequence?

I would highly recommend not to tinker with the S5 firmware as you will certainly void your warranty. However, there is a developer mode which allows you to login to the Olimex board. From there you would have to find your way to the according Python code. Chances that you brick the printer are very high.

In order to safe time I recommend printing more than one object at a time and update to the latest firmware; from version 5.1.7 on active leveling is significantly faster.

There is a flag you can change to disable autoleveling.  I needed to know how to do that long ago and someone from Ultimaker sent me the command to do that.  Now I can't find it anywhere.  I'll ask around.

You have to ssh into the machine.  Are you familiar with ssh?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same issue. We want to print on special soft padding material.

I can level the table manually. Auto-leveling doesn't work for me because of the rubber nature of the padding material.

AFAIK there is no option in the printer's settings to turn the auto-leveling off.

You have to ssh into the machine.  Are you familiar with ssh?

Yes, I'm familiar with SSH and Linux-like CLI. 

I found how to do it but Ultimaker asked me not to post the solution on the forum.  You can easily brick the machine if you make a small mistake and to unbrick it you have to remove the bottom cover and that violates the warranty and there are deadly voltages exposed under the bottom cover.  So on one hand it's very dangerous.  On the other hand it's pretty easy to do.  Anyway direct message me if you are brave and willing to take the risks.

More details: you have to modify a json file on the printer and if there is a syntax error the boot sequence fails *before* ssh daemon is running.  And then there is no way to ssh back to the printer to fix the typo.  So it's bricked.  To unbrick you need physical access to the linux computer.  If you take the bottom cover off there are 2 ways to recover the machine.  But if you take the bottom cover off there are high AC voltages that can easily kill you.  But you need power on to boot the linux computer and fix it.  So... dangerous.

Ultimaker doesn't want you to die.  Neither do I.  So you have to take the risks seriously.

• Like 1

Note: first make sure you are comfortable editing files with “vi”.   It is a text editor. Google it, fear it.

• Like 1

Just a thought: is there no way to overrule that in the gcode files, or via gcode files? Or is it executed even before the gcode files are read?

It's executed before the gcode is read

So the old method I know about doesn't work anymore.  It only worked on a beta version of the S5 firmware.  So then I tried to disable it by hacking the python code but after several hours work was unsuccessful.  It needs someone to go through the code more carefully and is too much work for me.  Plus when new versions of the firmware come out any hacks will have to be reapplied. 

If there are any python coders out there who want to look over the S5 firmware (it's just sitting on the S5 linux computer - yes there is an entire Linux computer on the S5), then there are people out there who would appreciate the ability to turn off auto leveling on the S5.  People who absolutely need it due to the way they use the printer.

Posted (edited) · UMS5 Does anyone know anything about making changes to the firmware to change the print initialization sequence?

Is there any news regarding creating a custom S5 firmware that can be installed via USB (like a regular firmware)?

We need to make a couple of changes:

- reduce the speed at which the S5 loads the filament (during load filament procedure) as it is too high for certain materials. S5 printer (not with material station)

- change the initial prime procedure when you have the material station as with some print core/material combinations, it does not work well.

Can anyone help here?

Thanks!

Edited by sambianchibazzi

You can enable the developer mode and ssh into the printer and change anything you want.

But there is no procedure to create your own custom firmware. 

Posted (edited) · UMS5 Does anyone know anything about making changes to the firmware to change the print initialization sequence?

Thanks Smithy! Has this been confirmed from UM? I thought the new firmware architecture was going to allow the creation of custom firmware(s).

Edited by sambianchibazzi

4 hours ago, sambianchibazzi said:

Thanks Smithy! Has this been confirmed from UM? I thought the new firmware architecture was going to allow the creation of custom firmware(s).

What's the source of this thought - i never heard of such changes?

But basically: the hardware of the printer is not locked in any way. You can install every operating system and microcontroller software that you like.

If the topic goes in the direction of:

Will Ultimaker provide (detailed) instructions about how to modify their own firmware?

Well - i may be wrong - but i assume the probability is indeed  quite low... This would be a nightmare for the resellers and customer support...