When Ultimaker 4 (Upgrade from 3)

kroete

Posted · When Ultimaker 4 (Upgrade from 3)

Ultimaker 3 was released in October 2016, so when can we expect an upgraded version that is not targeted for professional users (5s) but for consumers?

Any indications if / when an upgrade to UM3 can be expected? I hope it will have all the smart features like Prusa printers have (e.g. magnetic sheets, filament sensor) which should be expected for the price Ultimaker usually charges.

Posted (edited) · When Ultimaker 4 (Upgrade from 3)

Be aware that the Ultimaker 3 was already a printer aimed for the professional market and not for consumers back in 2016. Upgrading the Ultimaker 3 would make it logically another machine for pro users.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 1

Thank you for clarifying! I am just curious when a new Ultimaker with similar price range to UM3 can be expected. As per initial post UM3 is nearly 3 years old and I don’t want to spend so much money for the outdated features it is using compared to Printers that cost 1\3 of the price.

An updated UM with latest features would be my preference but If no update is in sight than I probably go for Prusa rather than UM2 or UM3.

I haven't heard anything about a new printer, although that doesn't mean anything.

But you can't compare a Prusa with UM, the features alone don't matter if you want to print reliably.

But yes, the Prusa is 1/3 of the price, but you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

Thank you for your response. I hear that argument quite often “can’t compare Prusa with UM” and while that might be correct 5 years ago, I don’t think it holds true today. I don’t want to talk bad about UM but from my experience using an UM3 and Prusa MK3 I don’t see differences in print quality or reliability   between both. Fact is that UM is expensive and outdated compared to other printers available. I want to buy another UM but if there is not a huge improvement on technical / innovative side, than I find it difficult to justify to pay a premium for a printer that produces the same print results as a “cheap” printer.

Prusa is an open air printer so it doesn't print materials well other than PLA unless you can cover it up somehow.

For Prusa to be comparable to a UM3 it would need a cover and it would need dual extrusion where the second extruder can print PVA.  Which might be a Prusa add-on.  I don't know.  I know prusa can do multiple filaments (up to 5?) but I think they all go through the same head and I'm not sure that's a good idea with PVA.

If you only use one nozzle then indeed the prusa is a good choice.  Or a um2go.  I love my 3 um2go printers and even though I have every printer that UM sells, I use the um2go printers the most.

Yes the cover and dual extruders from UM are very good and reason I still consider to buy a new UM.

And not to forget the possible layer-resolution of 20 micron with the UM3, which exceeds most SLA-Printers - and of course the Prusa with its layer-resulution of just 50 micron.

Posted (edited) · When Ultimaker 4 (Upgrade from 3)

In my point of view next step for UM3 are the feeders.

I have already made some test at 20 microns layer some time ago,

and i was told by the Ultimaker team that i will stress too much the feeders.

So that will be the next logical step.

Maybe.... Ruby Print core + New Feeders.

PS. Maybe stepper with higher precision.

Edited by Gigi
    Detail
    • Like 1