Forum unreachable from Ultimaker website

geert_2

Posted · Forum unreachable from Ultimaker website

Since today there is no link to the forum ("Community") anymore on the Ultimaker website. So, for people who don't have the sublink "https://community.ultimaker.com", from which the forum is still reachable, it seems to have completely disappeared. Probably just a glitch that has been overlooked? Could you have a look at that and repair the link? Thanks.

image.thumb.png.f626e228479cc001a032df1cddaaba27.png

PS: my browser is a standard Pale Moon, which is a Firefox split-off that has kept the traditional menu-structure and status bar, like in the good old days before Firefox went evil à la Google. Pale Moon is a very standard browser that follows the HTML- and CSS-specs as closely as possible, thus any standard compliant website should work. So I don't think this has anything to do with my browser? My operating system is Windows 7, but that shouldn't make any difference for websites either.

Hi Geert, 

Thank you for noticing and reporting here. We're busy restructuring the website, navigation and contents. In this project it is likely that the link to the community page will be moved, but not removed. These optimisations are done in phases, and due to a delay mid-process it is now temporarily available in the footer, and mid-homepage. I expect another update this week. Our apologies for the inconvenience!

On 6/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, SandervG said:

Hi Geert, all plans caught up and the community is back in the main navigation, except now it can be found under 'Learn'. 

Yes, I have seen it, good.

Reachability is key.  :-)

I was just looking today and I also noticed this! I couldnt find it at first. I think it could be more visible, but I also understand you wanting to keep your own advice on the headings as the main point of reference!

What about changing the current link name "Join our community" into "Community / Forum"? This would increase the visibility and discoverability of the forum, I think?

I agree, as some people may think they need to subscribe to something and just not bother clicking. The word 'Join' may frighten them away. I didn't click on it because I thought well I don't want to join because I am already a member? but maybe thats just me! lol.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, SandervG said:

Hi Geert, all plans caught up and the community is back in the main navigation, except now it can be found under 'Learn'. 

The "Learn" tab right now, no longer as a sub menu so the community link is gone again.

12 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

The "Learn" tab right now, no longer as a sub menu so the community link is gone again.

The "Join Community" link is still available in the footer of the page.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:24 AM, johnse said:

The "Join Community" link is still available in the footer of the page.

What is a very bad place for it to be, most new users are not going to load a page talking about how big companys use 3D Printer and scroll all the way down to the footer.

My personal view is it would be better to just have "Community" in the main header menu, because a community is a big part of growing a company and a loyal userbase that can help give support and advise for new users.

I completely agree!

I agree! I had a hard time trying to find the community link a couple of weeks ago... even seaching on google. And them I just found because I have a shortcut for the main commmunity page. 

Ultimaker should leave it in a more visible place as I think that community is a great diferencial for the brand... and also provide links for the community in all comunications on social media and blog.

😊

On 8/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, Carla_Birch said:

My personal view is it would be better to just have "Community" in the main header menu, because a community is a big part of growing a company and a loyal userbase that can help give support and advise for new users.

Indeed, years ago when deciding if and how we were going to step into 3D-modeling and printing, a brand with a good forum was a make-or-break point for us (this in addition of course to other breakpoints like: open filament system, multiple materials, relatively open source, good availability of spare parts, nearby dealer,...). We knew that the learning curve would be high, that we might run into problems, and that we might need expert advice from more experienced users. So before deciding on any printer, I visited the forums first. And I went to see the dealer.

I agree fulky as it was also the reason i bought an Ultimaker also. I even remember asking people for the best print settings which i now know depend on many things. But experience alone didnt help. Reading personal stories and solutions did. I understand the company wanting to givecall the advice they feel is relevant. But you always miss something or the solution becomes superceded with a better solution. 3d printing still needs the community of people who are willing to spend the time one on one and explaining to newbies how things are done. Im currently having a mega hard time trying to print overhangs in 0.1mm height dsm 2045 filament and just cant get peoples chins to print even when angled upwards. I may have to go 0.2 but we'll see. I guess thats what this forum is for to share stories and educate people how to make beautiful and functional things on these great printers Iltimaker makes!. Behind my portable wacom studio thing its still one of the best things I ever bought!  And it was only reason i bought my portable wacom, learned zbrush, learned organic modelling, and gained a ton of knowledge about manufacturing and its limitations and pitfalls. Would be a shame to deny others from the same opportunities!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses and appreciation everyone continues to have for our community! 🙂 The link was not intentionally removed, but at some point between different versions of updates to the navigation it fell off someones radar. It was easily restored and I'm happy to say it's put back in the main navigation! 

1412709640_Communitynavigation.thumb.png.5a33fc39bccb870442ee08a3106dae35.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Forum unreachable from Ultimaker website

Not sure if its just me but ive noticed that when i load the ultimaker page for the first time and scroll down in the menu. It NEVER shows join the community. It ALWAYS stops at community (which you cant actually click on) and then you have to scroll again. Weird? Dunno maybe cos im still on a note4? Just starting to bother me having to scroll to the bottom and then scroll again.

Edited by cloakfiend

A bit late maybe, but you'll now find our new 'app switcher' in all of our online products. This will make it easier to switch between the different applications, as well as knowing what is in the ecosystem when you just joined.

image.png.3d4ad83b538afae909fde90af16ee420.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Forum unreachable from Ultimaker website

Thank you @ctbeke 

I also note that the link for the community is much more visible now... in the first page, that's cool! 🙂

Edited by fergazz
    included *also
    • Like 1