Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem

Posted · Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem

We are looking for help in solving a persistent problem with 3D printing. Our client delivers an IGS file. All current IGS to STL file translators generate files that Cura thinks are unprintable due to the generated file not consisting of one solid object, but several distinct objects.

We are looking for someone to instruct us consistently convert these files to printable files.

Hi sergio_101, 

the most efficient solution would be, if your client would provide an different standard file type as step, .obj (as Oliveros said), or some other "solid" file-type, which you are converting to .stl by yourself.

Second way i.m.O. is a "rework" of the .igs-files in the way that you fill the shell-modell with a CAD-Software (way more time-consuming solution). Most CAD-Softwares having a feature implemented, which enables with using just one feature that "filling-operation" (e.g. CATIA V5 -> Close Surface).

BR

FALSF

Yeah, converting files and moving it into different softwares CAN mess up the file at times, it would be easier if the source is the correct file type and would also give it the best chance of being accurate.

I don't know of a 3D modeling program that can't export in an .Obj or .STL file.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, Oliveros said:

Can your customer provide .OBJ files? Cura supports it.

I'll have to check. Our client is not very technical, and we're  trying to keep them from having to get too deeply involved.

9 hours ago, FALSF said:

Second way i.m.O. is a "rework" of the .igs-files in the way that you fill the shell-modell with a CAD-Software (way more time-consuming solution). Most CAD-Softwares having a feature implemented, which enables with using just one feature that "filling-operation" (e.g. CATIA V5 -> Close Surface).

yes, we're looking at avoiding that also.. or maybe just an automated version of doing just that.. 

48 minutes ago, johnse said:

You could try running the STL file through http://service.netfabb.com 

It’s a free service that just requires registration.

Thanks! I am gonna try this.. 

Find out what CAD the customer is using.  If it's sketchup then have them read this - it's very easy reading - it looks like a lot but it's really quite simple:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

Sketchup will export .Obj

That's what I currently use.

5 hours ago, Oliveros said:

Sketchup will export .Obj

That's what I currently use.

.obj isn't the issue.  It sounds like having a solid (aka manifold) part is the issue.  And most CAD programs don't really let you create non-solids.  But sketchup does and one or two other do.  Most don't.  And sketchup is very popular.  So if the customer is using sketchup he should read how to make solid parts in sketchup - very good article.  I strongly recommend it if you use sketchup.  You can skim the whole article in about a minute.

• Like 1

If you haven't found a solution yet, you may want to ask your customer to look more closely at their "export" options while in .iges format.  My software (Keycreator) has an option to toggle weather the output iges file is in solids (water tight) or surfaces/sheet bodies. Maybe they have it set to sheet bodies by default and don't realize it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem
    On 11/14/2019 at 5:15 PM, sergio_101 said:

I'll have to check. Our client is not very technical, and we're  trying to keep them from having to get too deeply involved.

Keep them dumb, then you have to do the work... 🤪 very inefficient...They may be smarter then you think...

Edited by Mari

Posted (edited) · Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem
    On 2/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Mari said:

Keep them dumb, then you have to do the work... 🤪 very inefficient...They may be smarter then you think...

Indeed. I am a big fan of educating people (although in my case the "clients" are PhD-students and collegues), so that they *understand* what they are doing. Not just verbatim duplication like a parrot, but real understanding, so that they "see it". That sometimes takes hours. And then it saves me days and weeks of time, because next time they can solve it themself, and they can often do it faster than I could (which is very good). Additional benefits are that they become way more happy. And you become more influential, because with each problem-solution you teach them, you also get a better understanding and wider viewpoint yourself, and your viewpoints will be more appreciated by others, because what you told earlier, did work. And if they later find new solutions based on your help, they will often come back and tell you, so you learn from that too.

So, practically, if the client is not too far away, just go there for a couple of hours, or even an afternoon. Have a nice chat, have a look at their systems and their workflow, and find out and explain them how to to it correctly. Most people are smart people, who just lack some technical knowledge. When someone is lacking the grammar and vocabulary of a language, he can not speak it, but he is not dumb: he can learn it.

Edited by geert_2
    • Like 1