Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

idiotic default setting, how to change?

Posted · idiotic default setting, how to change?

I had to install Cura again to new hard drive. Now, in this version (4.3.0), when printer starts to print and extrudes first some material, the platform comes up and that waste material gets stuck to the nozzle and it drags the waste to print area. Previously, the platform raised up after nozzle was moved to print area. Which setting changes this? 

Posted (edited) · idiotic default setting, how to change?

The prime blob can be replicated by adding a skirt. As far as I’m aware however, there is no way to tweak the prime blob process. I had the same issue and started using a skirt in place of the blob. 

Edited by Sclifford
    Posted · idiotic default setting, how to change?

Whether you use a prime blob or not, I think it is a good idea to use a few lines of skirt anyway.

This gives an indication if your bed is calibrated at the correct distance, and you have time to manually adjust it if desired (at least on UM2 printers, I don't know about others). You also have an indication if bonding is okay: if the skirt would already fail to stick, the rest will too. And finally, if the nozzle is getting dirty, tiny flakes are often released in the very beginning, showing up in the skirt.

Also, for my UM2 printers I added a wire to catch the priming blob, so it is not dragged around. It is made from rustfree spring steel, the sort that is used in dental applyances. Very hard to bend in shape, but once bent, it keeps its shape very well, and it stays clamped to the frame. Due to it being a spring, it scrapes the nozzle and then moves down, without hurting it. See the photos from different angles below.

steel_filcatch2.thumb.jpg.fd3c7644d3c3de0d2f8b078fdad96205.jpg

DSCN5668b.thumb.jpg.2eb190238cc6c49d142b5a08fc6fc610.jpg

DSCN5670b.thumb.jpg.b7affaf8015dd95f017afc5a5dccc782.jpg