Copy settings between extruders

Link

Posted · Copy settings between extruders

Is there a way to copy profile settings to the second extruder for the S3/S5. At the moment my profiles are all set for one extruder and when I dual print I have to manually copy all the settings over to the second extruder. Would be much easier to have a copy. 

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

@SandervG would anyone from the Cura team be able to comment on this ?, at the moment you have to go line by line between each extruder to apply your profile changes to the second extruder, this is a right pain !, is there a way to copy them over ?

Many thanks Sander

Anything is possible with a plugin. The question is how much effort it would take.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:13 PM, Link said:

Is there a way to copy profile settings to the second extruder for the S3/S5. At the moment my profiles are all set for one extruder and when I dual print I have to manually copy all the settings over to the second extruder. Would be much easier to have a copy. 

Thanks 

image.png.4e7b6e85b308248f509c7224c6239c42.png

Can you try right-clicking on a setting and use the "Copy all changed values to all extruders"? 

I think this answers your question. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, territerriterri said:

Can you try right-clicking on a setting and use the "Copy all changed values to all extruders"? 

Many thanks, I assume this will work for all the settings already changed in one profile ?, for example extruder 1 profile has be changed and saved already, by just selecting this option all the settings from 1 will be applied to extruder 2 ?

I had the same question - how to I figure out which setting are "changed" so I know what will copy?

5 hours ago, Link said:

Many thanks, I assume this will work for all the settings already changed in one profile ?, for example extruder 1 profile has be changed and saved already, by just selecting this option all the settings from 1 will be applied to extruder 2 ?

unfortunately i can confirm this doesn't work/solve the problem, if you make changes to extruder 1, save those changes then using the above option doesn't copy them across to extruder 2. I can only assume it only works before you save the changes. The issue will be for most people, is that they optimise and save a profile for 1 extruder and simply want those settings copied to the second. How can i do that @territerriterri ?

Thanks

On 12/20/2019 at 1:50 PM, territerriterri said:

Hi @territerriterri,

Do you have any update on this, how can all the settings be copied across ?

Cura only considers the unsaved settings as 'changes'. When you save it, and then use the "copy all changed values to all extruders" options, it will not copy it because it doesn't consider it changed. 

I don't think the behavior you're expecting is intended to work in Cura. I can bring this up to the team for discussion, but I think it will be considered as a change request more than an issue. 

@maht FYI. 

42 minutes ago, territerriterri said:

Cura only considers the unsaved settings as 'changes'. When you save it, and then use the "copy all changed values to all extruders" options, it will not copy it because it doesn't consider it changed. 

I don't think the behavior you're expecting is intended to work in Cura. I can bring this up to the team for discussion, but I think it will be considered as a change request more than an issue. 

@maht FYI. 

Thanks for getting back to me @territerriterri. It would be really useful to be a able to blanket copy all the settings from one extruder to the other, when I am updating my profiles I regularly hit save to ensure i don't lose anything and importantly I want to fully test the settings with multiple prints before I copy to the second extruder. I can't do that without saving the profile changes. This really is a key piece of functionality on a dual extruder machine. 

Many thanks 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, AbeFM said:

I had the same question - how to I figure out which setting are "changed" so I know what will copy?

You can find it in preferences menu > Profiles. 

This view here, below. 

image.thumb.png.96f59a85259714258a73be6c8026a337.png

Posted (edited) · Copy settings between extruders

I would REALLY appreciate a simple method to just copy ALL settings from one extruder to another.

Yes, there are special circumstances where some people may not want this - my printer with entirely different extruders would be one. But most of my dual nozzle set ups ARE identical, and I can't say the number of times I've gotten a profile from someone or reviewed one of my own where it's a problem.

I would be willing to disable one extruder, then re-enable it and have the program ask me to import all setting from active extruder - so I could tune in 1 color then just enable the second.

The key here is copying *everything*. Many times the mistake comes from trying to memorize 300 settings then going to the other tab to look fro differences.

Alternatively, could you color code settings that are different between extruders?

----
    Happened to me today. Got a profile from someone, spent a WHILE trying to even it out between extruders...image.thumb.png.f111f5615567e52f0c8d67561d4a67e9.png

I have this weird artifact I wanted to report (side effect of zigzag infill?), but it's only on one extruder. Or a check box to grey out ones that are the same, something better someone else thinks of..... 🙂

Edited by AbeFM
    • Like 1

Another idea, that I realize gets complicated with a larger number of extruders, would just be to display both nozzles as a double collum.

I've kinda always dreamed of this. I spend a lot of time going back and forth - which used to be instant but now takes ~10 seconds....

I guess I'd like to see something like this:

image.thumb.png.5749839fbdb8eba42e36181b8dc1a0f5.png

Maybe I'll toss it on GitHub and see if it gets a bite.

• Like 1

You tossed (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/7359), I bit:

Nice mockup.

There are some architectural problems that stand in the way of a quick test in a SidebarGUI-like way (such as that Cura is based on the notion of having one active extruder to get/set settings, instead of an easily accessible array of extruders to get/set settings).

Another big problem is performance; Cura already gets very slow when a user has all/many settings visible, and almost doubling the number of QML elements to set up will not help that.

I think a possible way could be having all settings linked to all extruders by default and then in the context menu, being able to toggle linking on individual settings.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:25 AM, territerriterri said:

@maht FYI. 

Hi, has there been any update on this, its such a pain on a dual extrusion printer to have to manually copy your optimised settings to the second extruder, not to mention the time taken to do this, its also prone to error when you miss a setting 

Can this please be added asap ?!

thanks

• Like 1

@territerriterri is there any update on this please ?, i am still finding it increasingly painful to just set the second extruder with the same settings as the first, i have to go one setting at a time and inevitably miss some, its extremely painful !

Many thanks

The opened github issue is still working things out.

In the meantime, on Windows you can save the profile and close Cura and go to %appdata% -> cura -> highest version -> quality_changes to where all the configuration files are stored.

Use a text editor to copy extruder_1 changes (under [values]) to extruder_2 of the same named profile.

Then save and reopen Cura.

8 minutes ago, kelvina said:

In the meantime, on Windows you can save the profile and close Cura and go to %appdata% -> cura -> highest version -> quality_changes to where all the configuration files are stored.

Use a text editor to copy extruder_1 changes (under [values]) to extruder_2 of the same named profile.

many thanks, i am on Mac, anyway to do the same ?

6 minutes ago, Link said:

many thanks, i am on Mac, anyway to do the same ?

This might help

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Cura-Preferences-and-Settings-Locations

19 hours ago, kelvina said:

I have been looking at this, not sure its the right way to do it, there are certain variables that are not present for the second extruder even when the settings are 100% the same, copying them over manually takes a load of settings which could not be present if managed by Cura.

@SandervG, @CarloK, @territerriterri - could you one you please comment on the validity of this way to copy the settings ?

Thanks