SD card

ralph80

Hello guys, i run in to a problem and i'am hoping that somebody can help me with this. When i insert my sd card the UM controller doesn't find it. This is the first i used it because normally i work with the usb cable

Original UM, or UM2?

What's the capacity of the SD card? It's probably a hardware thing: loose wire or something, but I know that the original UM add-on Ulticontroller can have issues with SDHC cards, as distinct from just straight SD cards.

Original UM, or UM2?

What's the capacity of the SD card? It's probably a hardware thing: loose wire or something, but I know that the original UM add-on Ulticontroller can have issues with SDHC cards, as distinct from just straight SD cards.

Do you know whether the new UM2 has the same issue?

Is this the SD card that came with the Ulticontroller or did you buy your own?

If you bought your own I think you have to format it on a computer first. But I don't know the procedure.

It doesn't have to be formatted first. It is important to always safely remove the SD card from your computer, as not doing it might cause sector corruptions.

When the card is inserted it can find the card. But in the card menu it doesn't show any files

I don't have an ulticontroller myself so I'm just thinking out loud here. You don't happen to have any "weird" characters in the filenames that the code might choke on?

How are you writing the files to the SD card? Is this on Windows, Mac or Linux?

This is on windows

Just to make sure:

You copied the files with the extension

.gcode

right?

Did you manage to find a way of getting your ulticontoller to work as I have the same issue.

The ulticontroller recognises the card is inserted but when you go into the menu it says "no card"

This is with the original sd card and some others I have to hand.

Are the files written with .gcode extensions?

Getting 'no card' is probably a bigger issue; it means that while the simple push switch that detects the card's presence is working, the firmware can't actually communicate with the card properly. It could be due to a loose connection somewhere, or a damaged cable.

@carl: um1 or um2? The um2 has issues with some of the ribbon cables that connect the 2 "box covers" under your machine. One fix is to remove both covers, remove the black netting - that's usually enough. You can also request a replacement cable from support.ultimaker.com

I have the same problem on my um1,does not register the card unless I turn the machine off with card inserted then when I turn it back on it reads the card. Will try reformatting in the morning.

Having to power cycle the machine with the card in it, sounds like the card-detect pin might not be working, so it isn't mounting the file system when the card is inserted. Could be a broken wire or loose connection.

Hello Everyone,

I have a similar problem with my SD card:

My UM 1 printer, installed with Marlin software, after having worked without any problem for several months, suddenly it started not reading files from the SD card.

It detects the fact that an SD card is inserted and accepts to descend into browsing the files menu, but nothing appears there, only the "upper directory" line.

The SD card is the original one that came with the printer (2GB), it contains several gcode files and has always been removed from the computer (Windows) by "ejecting" (securely remove...) it first.

The card can be read without problem on the PC. I have the same issue with other SD cards. I tried to format one of them and then put a gcode file on it, but the problem remains the same on the UM printer.

Reseting the printer, with or without the SD card in it, doesn't changes anything and re-installing the firmware didn't helped.

If you have any idea on how to solve this, it will be nice :cool:

Thank you

vag

Is the file extension '.gcode' on the files?

Yes the extension is .gcode on these files and I can read the same SD card on another UM1.

I have the same problem as Vag.. Did you solved your problem ?

I have UM1 , original 2gb card or any other sd cards.

It say's card inserted , but then it the menu it says no card...

it is of course a .gcode extension.. same card will work and read on the replicator2x

I tried with cura 14.01 and back to cura 13.11.2 both in cura and firmware.

any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Nic

Hello Nic,

Yes I solved it, but I'm afraid that this will not help you a lot :-/

Indeed, after some days, the reading of the SD card was again correct and the .gcode files again visible.

I didn't changed anything for this, it just started again to work and there is no problem anymore.

I hope you'll finally solve this problem too.

Cheers

vag

Certain file names are a problem. For example if the file is simply called ".gcode". It needs to be "a.gcode". Also certain characters are a problem. Do you have foreign language characters (non english)? Other files that aren't gcode files also can mess it up.

But usually it's the card itself. It's best to only use the card that came with your UM.

Occasionally there is something wrong with the UM. The problem is almost always the gray cables that connect between the main PCB and the controller. They can have cross talk issues - maybe moving them around a little will help - keep them separated.

Thank Vag,

gr5, I did move the serial cables around, reconnected, seperate them.. but no luck....

I have the original UM card as well as a makerbot sd card and another one.. all working on the other printer. I also reformat to see if it will change.. nope.. and it's not a filename issue either...no special character.. a.gcode or bldg11.gcode lead to the same results.... any idea to troubleshoot ? I guess I need to find extra serial cables/ ask UM to send me new one

Did I mention it used to work before

cheers,

Nic