Auto bed level failing

HansESI

Posted · Auto bed level failing

I'm having an issue with the bed level and nozzle offset checks when starting a print.   Printer had been working fine up until yesterday.  

Essentially the printer attempts to do a level check at the start of the print, but the bed is now starting that check about 3/4" from the nozzle.  It will either give me an error that the bed leveling failed, or that the nozzle offset is outside the expected range.    Where the nozzle used to touch the bed during the check, it now stops with about a 1/4" or more gap between the nozzle and bed. 

I've tried manually leveling the bed before printing, and also updated to the latest firmware, but without success.

Considering doing a full factory reset on the printer,  but would also welcome any other areas to check.   

Hi,

first, it would be good to know which printer you have.

There are some posts relating to auto leveling problems with the UM3, but they may also be valid for the S5, for example:

or

So, checking the cables of the capacitive sensor would be a good first step. I also heard that fan cables running across the capacitive sensor or pinched cables can cause trouble, so its worth checking.

Regards

Shoot, I completely forgot that bit of info.   This is for the Ultimaker S3.

I have not adjusted the buildplate scews at all from the factory, but I did measure to make sure it is still at the 14mm gap. 

I also did check for disconnected wires at the sensor board inside the print head,  but haven't checked with a meter because I don't know enough about the sensor to know what I should be looking for.  

I think I'll try resetting the cable into the print head and check the continuity to the sensor while I have everything opened up.

Okay so I heard about this specific problem where it checks well above the glass.  The answer was to do some kind of reset but forget which - I think it was "reset to factory settings".  Does that option even exist?  Also try "cura connect reset" which is much less invasive (doesn't throw away calibration stuff) but it does fix quite a few problems.

I think it was "reset to factory" and note that afterwards I think you have to recalibrate the core-change switch.

The 'Factory Reset' setting in the touchscreen menus seems to have done the trick thankfully.  First try the machine auto-leveled properly.

I'l come back and say if the problem comes back, but for now I'll assume it was a successful resolution.

Thank you for the help

• Like 2

Unfortunately,  I don't consider this solved any longer.    I'm finding myself having to do the factory reset every couple of prints, due to the problem resurfacing.  Same thing every time where the print bed doesn't rise up enough and I get an error during the level check.   I'm hoping the next firmware update will shake it loose and stop this from happening, as it is getting a big frustrating.

So far I cannot find any common theme of what's happening to possibly cause this but it's happening a frustrating amount of time. 

Hi,

one more possible issue could be electric interference, as for example mentioned here:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/30841-interference-on-conductive-sensor/?tab=comments#comment-254894

The conductive sensor is very sensitive, and thus prone to be confused by external disturbance, so it's wort to take a look.

Regards

Hi I am having exactly the same problem with my S5.

Until I can get an answer to what is happening from Ultimaker, I have to switch the printer off and on again every time i want to start the next print.

The ondy difference between it working or not working is that I switched it off and on again so does not appear to be a cable or electrical interference issue.

I wish I had a solution to this.  Some days it'll go a half dozen prints without issue.  Then there are days like today.  Printed first try this morning, and hasn't successfully printed since then.

The room I have the printer in doesn't have any other powered electrical devices turned on.  Not even the lights.   Going to try again with the network cable disconnected. 

Ultimaker wanted a video, and I wasn't able to get one for them until today.   I either didn't have time to work on the printer, or it was actually printing ok for a while.

Hi

I contacted the Ultimaker help desk, they suggested I update to the latest firmware.

Since doing so I've printed about 60 parts without further problem.

That was one of the first things I've checked, and it is running 5.3.10, which is the most current version right now. 

-Hans

Ok, I can move this back to 'solved' again, after working with Ulimaker support.

They sent me a new print head circuit board,  not the sensor, but the board on the back of the head that controls the head.   Haven't had a single instance of failed leveling since then and have probably run 20 print jobs through it.  My satisfaction level is definitely improved now that it's running reliably.

Posted (edited) · Auto bed level failing

I think i have the same problem. How did you receive the new circuit board en how easy was it to remove/replace ?

Newest firmware installed, manual levelling done and checked everything I could think of. Did the research. Is there a sure test that can tell if it is the circuit board that is the problem ?

Edited by RuthMajersdorf

Hi - 

Just got my Ultimaker S3.  Bought it used but with only 72 hours on and in spotless condition with one problem.. Bed Levelling.  In fails in any number of ways...  

Running Diagnostics:

When attempting this I get one of two errors intermittently but it never succeeds:

1. The capacitive sensor has low performance

2. There is interference on the capacitive sensor signal

When attempting a print:

I have done due diligence here; 

• manual bed levelling,
    • lift sensor calibration,
    • XY calibration,
    • cleaned the print cores,
    • cleaned the bed
    • reset to facttor settings,
    • updated firmware to latest stable build (or to latest)  
    • Checked the wiring on the sensor PCB as well as the connector at the back of the print head.
    • Removed all other electronic devices from the desk 

Regardless, I still receive any of the following errors and it seems to be random:

1. Active levelling could not be performed.  Please check the nozzles and bed.
    2. Nozzle offset probe failed. Please check the nozzles and bed.
    3. Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values
    4. Can't remember the rest... 

Then after hitting print around 5-6 times, it fails again but the without intervening, it restarts the print and then prints without a problem. 

I am at a loss here.  I do not mind troubleshooting a bit, but these random errors are making it difficult to pinpoint the problem. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards, Friedl. 

@friedl_basson

I am having the same issues. Have you made any progress?

Thanks,

Tim

I am having the exact same problem as well. The machine is brand new. I am not about to change out circuit boards or update firmware on a brand new device. I must have got a lemon. Will probably return. 

Bruce

Best is to contact your reseller to solve the problem.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Auto bed level failing

Hi @Tim_Cochrane & @Kmmbdm1995 - 

I would agree with @Smithy, If you have the option to get it fixed under warranty, that would be the easiest (and best) way to het the matter resolved.

I am not so fortunate so had to try as resolve the matter myself.  Here are my findings;

IMHO… It is seeming more like a combination of software/firmware/hardware issues as opposed to hardware only.  I will stipulate my reasoning behind this shortly, let me first explain whats I have done in an attempt to resolve the matter, starting with the least intrusive ‘fixes’.
    1. I did every single calibration or levelling option the average user has access to on the UM S3.  I am not sure whether there are more option when access development mode though.
    2. I opened the front access panel to the print head, cleaned everything using compressed air and made sure the the Print core tips are spotless.
    3. I cleaned the build-plate glass with lukewarm water and isopropyl alcohol to make sure there is no Magigoo residue.
    4. Removed all other electronics from the desk.
    After all these failed, I applied slightly more intrusive ‘fixes’;
    1. I disconnected all the JST connectors at the back of the printhead and reconnected them.
    2. I made sure the front fan cables are twisted.
    3. I applied ferrite strip to the back of the sensor (this had mixed results when running the Level sensor diagnostics test)
    4. I pushed the front fan cables all the way to the back as far away from the sensor as possible. (this together with the previous point had the level sensor test pass, but did not necessarily result in a successful print start)

My findings;

Regardless of what ever fix was applied, the best result was a successful level sensor test under the diagnostics section, but it did not result in a print start.  The same errors appeared when attempting to print.  When disconnecting the front fan cable, the level test is successful as well.  Of course I did not attempt a print without the fan connected, so I cannot validate whether the print job would actually start.

The only way I could manage to get a print was by following the steps below and this is where it seems firmware might also be playing a part: 
    1. Start print job from CURA via Cloud.
    2. Wait for print to fail.  Error messages vary.
    3. Do not acknowledge the error message on screen.  In Digital Factory the print status will show failed.
    4. Do not interfere with the printer.  The printer will then clear the message on the LCD display by itself and restart without any user intervention
    5. When this happens, there seems to be a 25% chance of the print actually starting.
    6. If it still fails, Digital factory will show that the print has been COMPLETED and show the time it took (i.e 43min), even though it never printed. 
    7. Then choose REPRINT the same print job that failed from Digital factory.  The printer will restart the print job. 
    8. Most of the time the first attempt will fail. The same applies as from POINT 3 onwards. Just leave the printer and do not select anything on the LCD screen.
    9. When it restarts the second attempt by itself, the printer prints, no errors and the prints come out successful. 

At least I have been able to get some prints done, but needless to say, this is not really acceptable for a printer of this caliber.  It also takes quite a bit of time to go through this entire process to eventually get the print started.   My question here though is that there is a definite pattern (at least in my case) which makes hardware as the sole culprit unlikely.   If it was hardware error only, surely it should keep failing consistently.  

Hope this helps.

Edited by friedl_basson

Two more things to try;

- make sure the cables  (of both the front fan and the capacitive sensor) are twisted.  If you have not removed them for some reason, they should be as I believe they are shipped this way.  This for me had not affect.

- For some reason after doing cold pulls to clean nozzles after printing with CPE, the printer printed without incident for a couple of days. 

Adding a good bit more grease to the Z screw seems to be helping a lot for us.  Maybe it damps out the bed a little?

On 10/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, mrender said:

Adding a good bit more grease to the Z screw seems to be helping a lot for us.  Maybe it damps out the bed a little?

Hi - 

I will add some and see.  Thank you for the tip 🙂 

Regards,

Friedl

It helps, but doesn't fix the problem.  The design of the machine should be such that a process which has to be completed before every print is't so prone to failure.  If the answer is to remove every little speck of material from the nozzle then build in a wiping system or if the bed needs damping then build it in.  I for one am sick of cleaning everything down and then having to stand over the machine watching it auto bed level each time to make sure it works..I might as well manually level the bed!!!!

You could switch it to manual level I suppose.  I believe the S3 is the only printer where you can't ssh into it (I could be wrong - if you switch it into developer mode can you then ssh into the ip address of the printer?).  But you can probably connect a serial cable directly into the linux board on the machine.  You can certainly do that on the S5 and UM3 but the S3 has a different board.  But that board probably has 3 pins for connecting Rx, Tx, Gnd.  Just like the UM3 and S5.  Then you can log into linux and change things.

Smithy posted (somewhere on this forum) how to switch to manual bed leveling.  You change one word in one file.

This seems like a significant amount of work (and you will have to redo it every time you upgrade firmware) but compared to the pain that people are describing it should be easy.

Oh and a small part of what I discuss here talks about connecting a serial cable to your printer.  Again, it works for UM3 and S5 but I'm not 100% sure you can do it on the S3:  gr5.org/unbricking/

I accidentally stumbled onto something that improved this A LOT for me...  

I have a silicone soldering mat that, just to get it out of the way, I slid in underneath the printer once.  I then changed filament and without noticing it, I placed the front "feet" of the printer on the mat as apposed to directly onto the desk.

I would say this reduced the number of failures by about 50%.  It is too small to reach all four feet, who knows, adding silicone-like  vibration dampeners to all the feet might be the key 🤭

Regards,

Friedl.

feet.png