Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

SandervG

Posted · Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

Ultimaker’s firmware update 5.8.0 is available now for the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, and Ultimaker S3. When you install it, you’ll notice that we have improved how the Ultimaker S5 Material Station handles materials and enhancements to Ultimaker Digital Factory. Let's look at the material handling first. 

Improved material unloading

This is mostly noticeable when your 3D print is finished. Where before the material station would retract your filament all the way back into the material station, it now parks it just above the printhead. This will result in less stress and wear placed on filaments by traveling up and down, as well as being a little bit quicker since you won’t have to wait for materials to completely load and unload. This is especially true when you just aborted a print and want a quick restart.

Most materials will remain parked for two hours. PVA, however, will remain parked for 60 hours, because besides its sensitivity to moisture it is even more sensitive to the stress while moving through feeders and Bowden tubes, which will be significantly reduced with this new procedure. 

This was a requested feature by various users, so we hope you'll like it. As always, we continue to improve our products, review these times and shared experiences to create better user experiences for our customers! 

Ultimaker Digital Factory

Previously an operator would not know why a printer paused during printing, when viewing the Digital factory remotely. Now, should a printer require attention, a warning or error message will be shown in Ultimaker Digital Factory. You will be prompted to go to the printer, resolve the issue – change materials, for example – and continue printing. 

What else is included in firmware 5.8.0?

Cloud camera view
The camera view is now also available in the Digital Factory, allowing you to monitor print progress wherever, whenever.

Ultimaker is committed to continuously improving our products and your productivity. Are you curious about the other improvements and bugfixes that are included? Check out the release notes for Ultimaker firmware 5.8.0.

Ready to update your firmware to 5.8.0? Download it here

Seit dem Update gibt es ein Problem. 

Das Material kann nun nicht mehr aus der Materialstation entladen werden. Das Menü vom Drucker lässt keine Eingabe mehr zu. Und auch der Knopf der Station reagiert erwartungsgemäß nicht ( LED blau ) Wie soll ich nun eine Materialrolle wechseln?

Bitte ganz schnell fixen!

@Topper1403 Please use English here or switch to the German section, thanks.

Translated post:

Since the update there is a problem. 
    The material can no longer be unloaded from the material station. The menu of the printer does not allow any input anymore. And also the button of the station does not react as expected ( LED blue ) How should I change a material roll?
    Please fix it very quickly!

My first observations overnight

• The material was not automatically reloaded at the end of the roll.
    • When printing is interrupted while start, the new version makes a hot-pull without cooling down.
    • When printing was started, extrusion was only started after about 5 seconds of printing time.

I will continue to observe this. At the moment I have to print

I like the concept behind the materials not fully retracting, but I'm running into a problem. Maybe I'm just missing something, but there doesn't appear to be any way to override it?

Let's say I print something in a generic brand of red PLA. Once it's finished, the red stays mostly loaded and the menu says "in use" so I can't eject it. What if I want to print in generic blue PLA right afterwards?

Let's say I put the blue PLA in a different bay. Well, Cura can't tell the difference between various generic PLAs, so it just lists one. Which one? I don't know, probably red again?

Update to the above, I tried this to see if it would be a work around:

Load an Ultimaker branded PLA or other material material in a different bay so Cura will recognize it. Try printing something in that material, and then abort the print after the currently loaded filament gets retracted.

Unfortunately that just caused an error message? So apparently now there is no way to switch filaments until what, 2 to 24 hours elapse? That's surely not correct is it?

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

Every Update I hope for some of these changes...

first the material consumtion is not working. Printed about 10 Rolls... I think it would be a bit more than the shown value 😉

Screenshot_20200903-082624.thumb.jpg.764bef9c0d7123eb8091aa2748253368.jpg

second:

The up and down of the Temperature while starting a print.

I think with a bit more thinking about this it could be more efficient

For exemple 5 Minutes ago I startded a PC print.

Lets try to explain what I mean:

-> Print starting

->Heat Bed and Extruder starts to heat, Material is loading

->2 Minutes later the extruder starts with the filling the build volume with strings 😄

-> 5 Minutes later the Procedere is finished

-> the extruder is cooling down (because the bed is slow -> still heating up)

-> The bed is on temperature

-> Extruder heats up again

-> Auto leveling is starting (the extruder cools down while doing this .. why?!)

-> Auto leveling is finished

-> Extruder heats up und the print starts.....

So the extruder heats up, cool down, heats up, cool down, heats up..

Not a realy big deal.. but yeah I think Ultimkaer could do this a bit more ellegant.

For example:

-> print start

-> heating bed up

-> 10 degres bevore the bed is heated up beginning with the loading procedere and heating the extruder

->So Extruder and bed got nearly at the same point the temperature

->Bed leveling (with NOT cooling down the extruder while doing this)

-> starting print

Edited by Jonas98

I own the Pro Bundle and I am really disappointed about the latest Firmware 5.8.0.

It seems Ultimaker didn't really test it before releasing. The fact that you cannot unload the Material anymore, except you change it against another color or Type is a mess.

Should we really be careful in future not to update to the latest firmware?

We all agree, that this is no a hobbyist machine, rather than it claims to be a professional one.

Today, I was 2 hours busy with it just to unload the material!!! this is not "Professional".

Is there any way to downgrade to the previous Firmware?

1 hour ago, fsaraji said:

I dont know If I should laught or cry... But thats exactly what I thought when i was reading the experience ....

And of course I think the procedere bevore was not that bad.

Th loading and unloading took about 20 sekonds... .I had never trouble with this.

The procedere to "fill" the exdruder that extrudes about 2kg of material bevore printing is realy annoying.
    Espacially when  you have to cancle a print and you have to wait till this is done and then you have to wait for the bed is cooled down, just too heat it up again ....😅🤦‍♂️

About 15 Minutes to cancle a print and start it again...And of course it feels like 3h if you have to wait infront of the printer..

"Chinese" Printer pressing reset and starting again.... Print aborded and started again in about 30 sekonds.

And of couse the heating up, cooling down thing...

On 9/2/2020 at 2:00 PM, UlrichC-DE said:

My first observations overnight

• The material was not automatically reloaded at the end of the roll.
    • When printing is interrupted while start, the new version makes a hot-pull without cooling down.
    • When printing was started, extrusion was only started after about 5 seconds of printing time.

I will continue to observe this. At the moment I have to print

We will also investigate this. So at 1) you had a second spool of the same material already loaded and it was not picked up?

2) Would like to know if you see this again, possibly send logs to support? 3) was the print started with filament in the "park position so just above the printcore? Maybe we have already identified this issue, in that case it will be fixed asap. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:34 AM, Topper1403 said:

Seit dem Update gibt es ein Problem. 

Das Material kann nun nicht mehr aus der Materialstation entladen werden. Das Menü vom Drucker lässt keine Eingabe mehr zu. Und auch der Knopf der Station reagiert erwartungsgemäß nicht ( LED blau ) Wie soll ich nun eine Materialrolle wechseln?

Bitte ganz schnell fixen!

My German is not that good, so I will reply in English.. Yes the unload functionality is going to come back ASAP. While under normal operation it should not directly be necessary, we also agree that it's handy to have.. And there are also some exceptions where you might really need it. So yes, we will fix this soon! 

On 9/2/2020 at 5:54 PM, CCLMakerSpace said:

I like the concept behind the materials not fully retracting, but I'm running into a problem. Maybe I'm just missing something, but there doesn't appear to be any way to override it?

Let's say I print something in a generic brand of red PLA. Once it's finished, the red stays mostly loaded and the menu says "in use" so I can't eject it. What if I want to print in generic blue PLA right afterwards?

Let's say I put the blue PLA in a different bay. Well, Cura can't tell the difference between various generic PLAs, so it just lists one. Which one? I don't know, probably red again?

Do you have some Ultimaker filament (with NFC on the spool) You could (for now) work around by starting a print with detected filament. It will then unload the other first. But.. We know it's a bit of a nuisance and we will have an "unload" functionality soon.

*Commercial break* this problem obviously does not exists when printing with Ultimaker filament 🙂

On 9/2/2020 at 6:04 PM, CCLMakerSpace said:

Update to the above, I tried this to see if it would be a work around:

Load an Ultimaker branded PLA or other material material in a different bay so Cura will recognize it. Try printing something in that material, and then abort the print after the currently loaded filament gets retracted.

Unfortunately that just caused an error message? So apparently now there is no way to switch filaments until what, 2 to 24 hours elapse? That's surely not correct is it?

Now I feel silly for not ready the whole thread first. Sorry about that! That actually should work what was the error you got when you aborted the print? And when exactly did you abort?

Can you try again? See if you hit the same snag.

20 hours ago, fsaraji said:

I own the Pro Bundle and I am really disappointed about the latest Firmware 5.8.0.

It seems Ultimaker didn't really test it before releasing. The fact that you cannot unload the Material anymore, except you change it against another color or Type is a mess.

We all agree, that this is no a hobbyist machine, rather than it claims to be a professional one.

Today, I was 2 hours busy with it just to unload the material!!! this is not "Professional".

Is there any way to downgrade to the previous Firmware?

You can indeed downgrade the firmware, but there are other ways to work around the issue that you are encountering. This issue does not exist if you print with Ultimaker Filament by the way, so that could also be a workaround for now. If you don't want or can go that way: We are going to bring the unload functionality in a next release, so you could also downgrade and wait for that version (we will make sure to clearly communicate the unload functionality).

It saddens me personally that you are disappointed in Ultimaker, we (the team and I) work very hard to deliver value for our customers and we try to please all our customers. We sometimes have to choose between two evils, as was the case with this functionality. We mainly introduced the "park above printhead" feature to help users in the field as soon as possible with issues they had with PVA brittleness and we also thought it would speed up printing a little (win-win you would think, right?). While I understand that you are disappointed, because in your case (printing with non Ultimaker filament), this parking also adds and inconvenience, I would also like to stress, that this is not the case for all users.

p.s.

We test our firmware very thoroughly, in fact there is a whole team of testers that test every release. Of course that does not mean that the firmware will be perfect in every aspect and for every use-case. By we aim to improve our product, with every release that we make. The engineers that are developing and testing the firmware are very dedicated to their work and our customers, they (like myself) are also active on the forum. We love to get feedback, even if sometimes the feedback is a little harsh. We embrace it, because we need it to make our product even better. So thank you for your feedback! I hope we will make you a happy Ultimaker customer soon again 🙂

3 minutes ago, sj3fk3 said:

You can indeed downgrade the firmware, but there are other ways to work around the issue that you are encountering. This issue does not exist if you print with Ultimaker Filament by the way, so that could also be a workaround for now. If you don't want or can go that way: We are going to bring the unload functionality in a next release, so you could also downgrade and wait for that version (we will make sure to clearly communicate the unload functionality).

It saddens me personally that you are disappointed in Ultimaker, we (the team and I) work very hard to deliver value for our customers and we try to please all our customers. We sometimes have to choose between two evils, as was the case with this functionality. We mainly introduced the "park above printhead" feature to help users in the field as soon as possible with issues they had with PVA brittleness and we also thought it would speed up printing a little (win-win you would think, right?). While I understand that you are disappointed, because in your case (printing with non Ultimaker filament), this parking also adds and inconvenience, I would also like to stress, that this is not the case for all users.

p.s.

We test our firmware very thoroughly, in fact there is a whole team of testers that test every release. Of course that does not mean that the firmware will be perfect in every aspect and for every use-case. By we aim to improve our product, with every release that we make. The engineers that are developing and testing the firmware are very dedicated to their work and our customers, they (like myself) are also active on the forum. We love to get feedback, even if sometimes the feedback is a little harsh. We embrace it, because we need it to make our product even better. So thank you for your feedback! I hope we will make you a happy Ultimaker customer soon again 🙂

I thank you for your response. Appreciated. However, I am definitely and exclusively using Ultimaker Filaments and they are all equiped with NFC chips, but still the problem exists and the unload button is grayed out, so I cannot change the filament, except I change to another Type or Color.

The "parking above the head" function is generally a good feature, however (at least in my case) the filaments parks over 15cm aboove the head and I can see the top of the filament in the boden. Is that correct? Was this intended so?

All together, the new Firmware (5.8.0) generally doesn't seem to me mature enough for a release, since, as you can see in this post, there are so many issues with it.

I hope we can get an update very soon, which fixes all that issues because we all need our machines and currently it is not really possible to keep working with them.

14 minutes ago, fsaraji said:

I thank you for your response. Appreciated. However, I am definitely and exclusively using Ultimaker Filaments and they are all equiped with NFC chips, but still the problem exists and the unload button is grayed out, so I cannot change the filament, except I change to another Type or Color.

The "parking above the head" function is generally a good feature, however (at least in my case) the filaments parks over 15cm aboove the head and I can see the top of the filament in the boden. Is that correct? Was this intended so?

All together, the new Firmware (5.8.0) generally doesn't seem to me mature enough for a release, since, as you can see in this post, there are so many issues with it.

I hope we can get an update very soon, which fixes all that issues because we all need our machines and currently it is not really possible to keep working with them.

The filament will unload when you start a print with different filament. So if you are using UM Filament "the parking" should not really be a problem. The filament park position should be just above where the Bowden tube connects with the Print Core. If you are unsure, can you post a photo here?

4 minutes ago, sj3fk3 said:

The filament will unload when you start a print with different filament. So if you are using UM Filament "the parking" should not really be a problem. The filament park position should be just above where the Bowden tube connects with the Print Core. If you are unsure, can you post a photo here?

This is exactly the Issue, because I may want to change to another spool of the same color and Type (e.g. to an older one or newer one, with less or more filament on it). Anyway the system should not limit me as a user in what I can do. It may assist me in an intelligent way, but not cut off my possibilities.

The Park position is definitive far more above the head and this causes problem at the beginning of the print (e.g. incomplete skirt, brim or raft).
    I will try to post a photo, once the next print is finished.

3 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

Maybe we have already identified this issue, in that case it will be fixed asap. 

I had printed with UM Nylon. Unfortunately that was a while ago. Before the update it worked. So far I had saved the LOGs for every error. But lately I wasn't sure if Ultimaker even receives and evaluates them. (If tickets disappear from the support system, the customer simply doesn't waste any more time for that. In fact, as a customer you always have two options. Save LOGs and contact the support.Or just keep printing in the hope that someone else will take care of it )

Next time I will try again with LOGs. Promised😉

I can sign the problems described here.
    Here is a picture. Currently at 3cm. (Ultimaker TPU95A / but without NFC tag / Unfortunately, I have to print - that's why gadgets OFF)

random.jpg

10 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

I had printed with UM Nylon. Unfortunately that was a while ago. Before the update it worked. So far I had saved the LOGs for every error. But lately I wasn't sure if Ultimaker even receives and evaluates them. (If tickets disappear from the support system, the customer simply doesn't waste any more time for that. In fact, as a customer you always have two options. Save LOGs and contact the support.Or just keep printing in the hope that someone else will take care of it )

Here is a picture. Currently at 3cm. (Ultimaker TPU95A / but without NFC tag / Unfortunately, I have to print - that's why gadgets OFF)

random.jpg

The same here

88AB2C47-136D-4DD8-8ABF-19A820C0734A_1_105_c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

random.jpg

That does look like it's in the right position. We have seen issues with TPU (not specifically related to the 5.8.0 firmware), but more due to the flexible nature of the material in combination with the material station. We are going to change some parameters in the material definition that should help with this specific problem, that will be in the next release. For now, maybe try with a prime-blob?

p.s.

What do you mean with gadgets off? Is that a google translation gone haywire? 

1 minute ago, fsaraji said:

The same here

88AB2C47-136D-4DD8-8ABF-19A820C0734A_1_105_c.jpeg

That position looks right to me. We park the material inside the Bowden-tube a few centimeters up.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, Jonas98 said:

-> Print starting

->Heat Bed and Extruder starts to heat, Material is loading

->2 Minutes later the extruder starts with the filling the build volume with strings 😄

-> 5 Minutes later the Procedere is finished

-> the extruder is cooling down (because the bed is slow -> still heating up)

-> The bed is on temperature

-> Extruder heats up again

-> Auto leveling is starting (the extruder cools down while doing this .. why?!)

-> Auto leveling is finished

-> Extruder heats up und the print starts.....

So the extruder heats up, cool down, heats up, cool down, heats up..

Not a realy big deal.. but yeah I think Ultimkaer could do this a bit more ellegant.

Hello, it is actually optimized to do certain processes together to save time. The print cores heat up first to prime the filament to make sure the nozzle is ready to print. This is the strings of filament you see being dropped in the build volume. When it has run through it steps, the machine is certain the filament is loaded, so it can cool down. If it would stay hot, you would get oozing. Oozing is molten filament dripping out of the nozzle, resulting in too little pressure, which would require new priming, or you would get an under extruded first layer. It is possible that it heats up again right before the active leveling procedure, so if there would be any filament hanging on the tip, it wouldn't undermine the active leveling. But it quickly stops again, because we don't want oozing and the previous step just tried to ensure there is no solidified material hanging on the tip of the nozzle. 

Hope this helps understanding the entire process a little bit better. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I missed a step. Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, sj3fk3 said:

For now, maybe try with a prime-blob?

Thanks, I will try. Of course I also hope that the changed program behaviour does not clog the print cores.

26 minutes ago, sj3fk3 said:

p.s.

What do you mean with gadgets off? Is that a google translation gone haywire? 

No this is not a translation error. just another wording in German.
    In English this is probably called knickknack. Whereby in Germany knickknack again stands for a different action.
    A German who writes English is not a US American. It is complicated.

It's getting harder and harder to figure out what's an error and what WorksAsDefined is.
    I hope that the printer will work more reliably with the next version.
    Version 5.8.2 / The printer does not print anymore, but makes a great coffee 😆

16 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

Thanks, I will try. Of course I also hope that the changed program behaviour does not clog the print cores.

No this is not a translation error. just another wording in German.
    In English this is probably called knickknack. Whereby in Germany knickknack again stands for a different action.
    A German who writes English is not a US American. It is complicated.

We are also not in the US 😉 Ultimaker is a Dutch company, so I think we are "neighbors" 😉

16 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

It's getting harder and harder to figure out what's an error and what WorksAsDefined is.
    I hope that the printer will work more reliably with the next version.
    Version 5.8.2 / The printer does not print anymore, but makes a great coffee 😆

LOL, I will try, espresso cappuccino? 

• Like 1

My printer gets stuck updating - showing 2 mins remaining but 45 mins have gone by..

This is not normal is it?

image.thumb.png.b8423eafc688d0d9e532abb0a974338b.png