Cousin Eerie

kmanstudios

Posted · Cousin Eerie

Okay, it has been a long time since I posted any new prints. For full disclosure, a couple of years ago I had major surgery on the major aorta that feeds the femoral arteries and the left branch ripped. Lost a lot of blood and had a minor (Thank goodness!!!) stroke. It has impacted me in ways that impact my planning and visual processes. Not gone, just limited and slowly getting better. But, wow, am I slooooowww.......

So, I had made this previous print before the stroke but printed and painted it after the stroke:

So, this spring I started one of the companion pieces: Cousin Eerie.

I hit a block on Cousin Eerie and could only get this far. I took the main sculpt and turned it into a little 'Bust' of the character. Printed on my remaining UM3E with PLA and PVA.

Cousin_Eerie.thumb.jpg.4c30ec5f29137d0e0c35f8500dd20fe3.jpg

It is quite small as it is in the scale of Uncle Creepy and the display that hopefully becomes the finished display like Uncle Creepy is. Took me a month to do just this. Normally a week to get a full character sculpt. Below is the companion piece for the actual display. This would have normally taken about a week to do, but at current abilities, took 8 weeks to do.

TheSoulOrgan.thumb.jpg.bbdd6ccc01d3fe4f087df4b2c34e3ad8.jpg

These are the individual pieces:

DSC03357.thumb.jpg.29b62360a35173a232af46962121f18f.jpg

My hands are a bit shakier than before so, sorry for the blur. But, you can see the individual pieces that I printed. Big parts printed on the S5 with PLA and PVA.

This is the Stool detail:

DSC03366.thumb.jpg.6ebf6fa9d4c11219e375fd9f268f25e0.jpg

These are the organ details:

DSC03359.thumb.jpg.5f7eb84e61ec0775f0ebb00215156f10.jpg

And another angle on the assembled organ:

DSC03362.thumb.jpg.5bf766fbb9f2a04843d10781592b9f28.jpg

This is an early test print of the organ itself with just a bit of primer prayed on for detail:

DSC03356.thumb.jpg.ba106a6fd4ef53a941a1d6209703d5fa.jpg

So, I do not use the priming tower and promised to tag @Nicko_Airbus when I posted a print.

• Like 6

Posted · Cousin Eerie
22 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Okay, it has been a long time since I posted any new prints. For full disclosure, a couple of years ago I had major surgery on the major aorta that feeds the femoral arteries and the left branch ripped. Lost a lot of blood and had a minor (Thank goodness!!!) stroke. It has impacted me in ways that impact my planning and visual processes. Not gone, just limited and slowly getting better. But, wow, am I slooooowww.......

So, I had made this previous print before the stroke but printed and painted it after the stroke:

So, this spring I started one of the companion pieces: Cousin Eerie.

I hit a block on Cousin Eerie and could only get this far. I took the main sculpt and turned it into a little 'Bust' of the character. Printed on my remaining UM3E with PLA and PVA.

Cousin_Eerie.thumb.jpg.4c30ec5f29137d0e0c35f8500dd20fe3.jpg

It is quite small as it is in the scale of Uncle Creepy and the display that hopefully becomes the finished display like Uncle Creepy is. Took me a month to do just this. Normally a week to get a full character sculpt. Below is the companion piece for the actual display. This would have normally taken about a week to do, but at current abilities, took 8 weeks to do.

TheSoulOrgan.thumb.jpg.bbdd6ccc01d3fe4f087df4b2c34e3ad8.jpg

These are the individual pieces:

DSC03357.thumb.jpg.29b62360a35173a232af46962121f18f.jpg

My hands are a bit shakier than before so, sorry for the blur. But, you can see the individual pieces that I printed. Big parts printed on the S5 with PLA and PVA.

This is the Stool detail:

DSC03366.thumb.jpg.6ebf6fa9d4c11219e375fd9f268f25e0.jpg

These are the organ details:

DSC03359.thumb.jpg.5f7eb84e61ec0775f0ebb00215156f10.jpg

And another angle on the assembled organ:

DSC03362.thumb.jpg.5bf766fbb9f2a04843d10781592b9f28.jpg

This is an early test print of the organ itself with just a bit of primer prayed on for detail:

DSC03356.thumb.jpg.ba106a6fd4ef53a941a1d6209703d5fa.jpg

So, I do not use the priming tower and promised to tag @Nicko_Airbus when I posted a print.

Crazy stuff !

• Thanks 1

Posted · Cousin Eerie

Thanks to you guys 🙂 You know what is really funny to me? Even now when I work, say in 3DS MAX (Which I have used since version 1 way back in '91) I still retain a lot of muscle memory. So when I am working, my hand will go to the proper place and then I have to sit there and wonder what my arm was trying to use. I will look at the area my hand is at and think "Now, what am I trying to do..." 🙃

Posted · Cousin Eerie

But that's fine, train your hand a little bit more in that direction. Because then you just have to put your hand on the mouse, read a book in the meantime and wait until your hand has finished all the work 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cousin Eerie
    32 minutes ago, Smithy said:

read a book in the meantime

😆

So true!!!

One of the frustrating things is my lack of ability to keep an image in my mind like I used to. So I can only work for a short period of time before I lose the image and have to stop. One of the reasons I have not finished Cousin Eerie himself. I cannot figure what to do with the legs in the display because I cannot figure much else to put into the room. I do not want to replicate 'Uncle Creepy's" display. 

One of the fun things about doing the Cousin Eerie head was deciding what to make it look like based off the original art direction. For instance, he has no eyebrows, just a muddled up brow ridge. Many artists mess that up. 

Like this:

http://dombidau.com/index.php/illustration/cousin-eerie/#

This is the image without going to the link:

131_eerie02.thumb.jpg.ed35dd09148b157f2f2abec2a5ea764d.jpg

Cousin Eerie does not have bottom teeth other than the two 'tusks.' He is also a bit more 'pinheaded' or egg shaped head, than a big old round head.....It is subtle, but important in the way I see the character.

Or this one:

6a2f970316ea4619932405e229ac8a66lg.jpg

Which sadly, is an official statue (Dark Horse), sorta modeled off this really nice illustration by Sanjulian in which you can see he has no eyebrows. The Pin Head is much better though.....

2Sa8gx3gV301vgXWR3JdpLV3ig5QnXk-QG0gllkL 

or this image from another Sanjulian drawing

fLea0v8g_090120034249lola.jpg

Hollows in the eye cavity, but not from actual eyebrows. And, surprisingly, as much of a fan I am of Bernie Wrightson, I did not care for his version. Good art, but did not seem to capture the character.

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · Cousin Eerie

Glad you are back. I already wondered what happened. Yes, I understand the frustration of losing abilities. But the good thing is that concerning art, you are still way above average. Most people would not be able to produce that at all, no matter how much time they got. Like I would never be able to compose a song, no matter how long I got.

• Thanks 1

Posted · Cousin Eerie

About 8PM Local time (Brooklyn) a 7.5 day print finishes. I will let it sit overnight to cool and be much easier to remove from the bed in the morning. Then I will put finished prints on the bed and take pics. Got some really odd stuff coming out as soon as I get pics taken tomorrow.