Changing filament in S5 with material station whilst in job

Navin2020

Posted (edited) · Changing filament in S5 with material station whilst in job

I have an S5 with material station. I am printing using generic PLA but the amount of filamant on the real is not enough to complete the job. I would like to know how i can manually change the filament whist in job. I cannot find the answer to this.

I found a work around but it very problematic. Hold the filament when it is about to run out and the S5 automatically changes the filament based on the same loaded profile on the material station. There has to be a way of doing this manually? Please help

Edited by Navin2020

Posted · Changing filament in S5 with material station whilst in job

I don't have the material station for my S5's but is the idea of it that if your mid print and a spool runs out of filament it auto loads another spool of the same type of filament from another bay?

Now i got a massive problem i used PVA in one of the bays and it appear to jammed extrusion outlet 2 to the point where i cannot run a filament through it. Seems the only way to access the jammed filament is to open the material station which is not something i can do..as it might make my warrant void

Did you disconnect the Material Station from power?
    If not, please do that and it might work. Don't forget to push the filament that might still be in one of the channels from to front to the back and pull it out there, maybe where the Bowden tube enters the main feeder of the printer.

If the filament is indeed jammed get in contact with your reseller.

Now the material station is trying to turn extruder 1 when theres nothing in there, im fedup and have no clue how to resolve this issue. I tried to recalibrate the decoupler and now everything is not working. Ultimaker is saying there is unknown 😞

As i was pushing the filament through the bowden tube connected to the decoupler came out. One headache after the next. Im disappointed

I bought the machine brand new on ebay

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011706119-ER61-Material-Station-failed-to-unload-material

Is the error code..I have no idea why this is problem. CAn the material selector be hard reset?

Edited by Navin2020
    added info

Hi @Navin2020,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

But, here is the user manual for "Material Station":

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012948440-Ultimaker-S5-Material-Station-PDF-manual

Go to page 19 and read about how to deal with material stuck inside the unit.

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

Thank you for your reply. I dont think i have filament inside the materail selector it is just not behaving now, trying to load bay one without any material in it lol

I wanna cry

Normally, -if the filament break off if it's some brittle, you will see this brake -but normally it's having this melted sign on the end. So no break then..

Torgeir.

The problem seems to haver resolved itself but now the Material selector is not detecting filament. I can not load a fllament because the device is not registering material ...lol

when you open the door the config page on the S5 does not display and if i manually go the configuration i cannot add material because the device cannot detect filament, except for the print in progress. generic PLA in ext 1 and PVA in ext 2

Whats is going on?

Edited by Navin2020

With the range of problems you seem to be facing its hard to say what might be up as we can not see the printer to see just whats going on and at what stages, with it being new i would personally be looking at contacting your reseller who will be able to guide you into hopefully fixing the problems, if not they be able to have it back from you to look at and fix/replace.

I'll agree for sure, -but in your case, maybe @SandervG or @CarloK can give some advice?

I've been wondering -what Firmware version does you printer have?

As every firmware update have a correction description for known issues.

It might be worth to look at this "release note" file.

Hmm, -It seems that firmware version 5.8.2 deal some with your issues..

The firmware for S5 is found here:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011545559?download=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.ultimaker.com%2Fhc%2Fen-us%2Farticles%2F360011545559

A part of the release note:

--------------------------------

Firmware 5.8.2

October 20, 2020

Firmware 5.8.2 is a patch upgrade to the 5.8.1. In this release we have introduced a loading error wizard for the Pro Bundle which catches errors whereby loading would have failed. The wizard provides the user with a chance to recover from this error. Furthermore, improvements to the NFC reading mean that the Pro Bundle should more often correctly read the filament type and material left.

Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle

• Introduced loading error wizard for end of filament. When a critical error occurs during loading at an end of filament (ER52, ER54 & ER56), users will now be shown an error recovery wizard. By following the steps and correcting the fault users can prevent the critical errors from showing up and ensure their print resumes correctly.
    • NFC improvements. Improvements have been done to NFC spool detection. The Pro Bundle can now more reliably read the NFC tag of the material loaded. The chance of an unknown material detection is significantly decreased, leading to less chance of orange exclamation mark. For best results, always load the material by placing on the left hand side of the loading bay.

--------------------------------

You may have this version, but if not -download this version and save it to your USB memory for the printer and install the new firmware from the USB directly to the printer using the menu here.

PS. Do not think about the next firmware 6.0 at the moment..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added text.

I can't help with the Pro Bundle, that was developed by another team. Looking at the diversity of the problems I suggest to contact your reseller.

Also, as already suggested, check your firmware version and report it here. Upgrade to the latest v5.8.2

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, Navin2020 said:

... I tried to recalibrate the decoupler and now ...

I have a couple of questions about the decouplers:

1) What is the proper procedure to install (re-install) the bowden tubes into the decoupler? Specifically, the upper tube (between the Material Station and the S5) was removed - how far should it be re-inserted into the decoupler?

2) Is there such a thing as "recalibrating the decoupler" as mentioned in the quote above? If so, is this something an end user can perform?

I ask because we are unable to reliably feed UM PVA using our Material Station (brand new Pro Bundle, latest firmware 5.8.2).

I have the latest version of the firmware installed. NOw filament is stuck in the decoupler and i cannot budge it? Honestly is one problem afer the next. For something which is meant to provide 24/7 printing. THis thing is just not working.

I bought the S5 and material station on ebay brand new. Can i not claim from the warranty?

Thank you for the help i am receiving

Now i get this error

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/16755-difference-between-detected-height-of-both-printcores-exceeds-realistic-values/?tab=comments#comment-16739

I thought it was just the material station causing problems now it appears to be the S5 itself..HELP

Edited by Navin2020

3 hours ago, Navin2020 said:

I have the latest version of the firmware installed. NOw filament is stuck in the decoupler and i cannot budge it? Honestly is one problem afer the next. For something which is meant to provide 24/7 printing. THis thing is just not working.

I bought the S5 and material station on ebay brand new. Can i not claim from the warranty?

Thank you for the help i am receiving

Hi @Navin2020,

Was the firmware 5.8.2 installed from the beginning or did you update it yourself?

So, first problem first.

The material station can move filament in both direction if filament is not broken.

If filament is broken, the material station cannot retract all the filament back, but it can tell you by error code where the filament ruptured and where to look for broken filament remains.

Any error reported is essential for us to understand your problem.

For all work with removing a filament trapped into the material station, the power core has to be disconnected.

So if this filament is broken into two pieces, there might be a problem to get it out from the bowden tube.

If this piece is located inside the material station, it has to be pushed out from the feeding port where the actual filament was feed from.

To do this, disconnect the bowden tube from the feeder used on the S5 (if it was PVA it should be feeder 2).

Now manually feed (a new good roll) PVA that's properly cut(*), into the port used where filament ruptured, you might use some forces to pass the first feeder. 

It is important to feed the filament in the port, so that the curve is oriented as it is unrolled from a filament roll installed.

Important, do not use another port using the same print core (with associated coupler) that's failed.

If one do so, there might be a sever blockage in the coupler directing filament to one of the core from one of the filament port in the material station.

All the above you can do yourself, but Ultimaker do not recommend removing the bowden tubes from the couplers.

Thanks

Torgeir

The filament broken has now been removed but

Now i have active sensor test fail, because i tried to manually level the build plate ER45

Edited by Navin2020

On 12/31/2020 at 12:46 AM, wdvogel said:

I have a couple of questions about the decouplers:

1) What is the proper procedure to install (re-install) the bowden tubes into the decoupler? Specifically, the upper tube (between the Material Station and the S5) was removed - how far should it be re-inserted into the decoupler?

2) Is there such a thing as "recalibrating the decoupler" as mentioned in the quote above? If so, is this something an end user can perform?

I ask because we are unable to reliably feed UM PVA using our Material Station (brand new Pro Bundle, latest firmware 5.8.2).

Hi @wdvogel,

Ultimaker do not recommend removing the bowden tube from the decoupler.

However, if it do come loose, you may look for the notches made by the locking clip (the four knife inside that's clamp the bowden tube) for the end entering the decoupler, if you find this marks you'll know how far in this tube go.

Yes there is a calibration procedure for the decoupling units, just read about it in this document:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/article_attachments/360013097260/Ultimaker_S5_Material_Station_-_Decoupler_calibration_instructions_v2.pdf

The PVA can have very strong feather effect curving when it become some old. The filament may tend to hook up inside the feeder during installation.

To avoid this You may strait the end and make the tip like an arrow about 45 deg angle. 

If the PVA feels very hard to strait out, -it may be brittle and may break when feeding into the printing system.

I use an old bowden tube that is straightened and clamped to a wooden plate that is straight, so before I use PVA for printing, I will feed the filament into this test jig just to see if it breaks/fails. If this goes well, the filament can be used in the printer. You may find that the filament become much better if unwinding some of the roll.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

I did a hard reset and i think the printer is now working as it should. Looks like all this is a software glitch. Fingers crosssed

Happy New Year folks btw 🙂

• Like 1

Hi @Navin2020,

Good catch.

Now the fun begin..

Happy new Year.

Thanks

Torgeir