Cura not starting to slice.

AayushBoliya

Posted · Cura not starting to slice.

I have the latest version of Cura. I just built a 3DP. When I import the Benchy model in Cura and set it up and click on the Blue Slicing Button on bottom right, it shows loading, but it doesn't progress. For 2 hrs straight, I waited, it didn't progress.

It shouldn't take that long. Please help.

7a0a891.jpg

I have Cura 4.5 and 4.8 both installed.  After switching to 4.8, this happens to me all the time - there is definitely something wrong with 4.8. 

It'll be slicing just fine, then I'll change a setting, and then the slicing never completes.  I change the setting back, and it slices again.  It seems many settings can trigger the break - nozzle width, compensate wall overlaps, adaptive layers, etc.  I haven't come up with a common theme yet.

When this happens I'll either change settings until it works again, or just go back to 4.5. 

This is so frequent for me I have a hard time believing Ultimaker doesn't know about it.  But if anyone needs a profile and STL to repro the issue, I can get those things. 

I'm having the same exact thing happening. I've been printing for about a month now with no issues and now this is happening. I've tried to change settings to see if that will work but nothing seems to work at this time. Very frustrating. Will continue to work at it.

Posted (edited) · Cura not starting to slice.
    17 hours ago, GregValiant said:

What kind of computer?  What operating system?  Somebody post a 3mf file.  Also - go to Help | Show Configuration Folder and you will see a file Cura.Log.  Post that too.

Since I started seeing this issue  uninstalled 4.8 and went back to 4.6.1 as a test. Same problem though. I have attached the requested files you mentioned from the v4.6 install.

I am running Windows10 with the latest updates as of today on an Intel Core-i7 laptop that has sliced fine since I started using Cura well over a year ago. This literally just started a few days ago with no other changes that I am aware of. It just hangs when you go to slice something as described in the OP.

GlueGunStand.3mf cura.log

Edited by KaraokeAmerica

I can't duplicate the problem.  You are using the Octoprint plugin?  Maybe there is a conflict there.  In the log it looks like the first problem is with Octoprint.  @ahoeben might be able to take a look.  He would certainly know better than me.

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I can't duplicate the problem.  You are using the Octoprint plugin?  Maybe there is a conflict there.  In the log it looks like the first problem is with Octoprint.  @ahoeben might be able to take a look.  He would certainly know better than me.

I had the OctoPrint plugin installed a while back, but never used it past day one so it's been disabled and uninstalled for a while now.

Regardless, if I uninstall the program and tell it to remove settings shouldn't that get rid of any traces of it anyway?

PS: I also can't log in through the program to Ultimaker. If I click sign in it starts to open a webpage than immediately changes URLs to a localhost address which won't open. This is after multiple reboots and a reinstall of v4.8.

Edited by KaraokeAmerica

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

What kind of computer?  What operating system?  Somebody post a 3mf file.  Also - go to Help | Show Configuration Folder and you will see a file Cura.Log.  Post that too.

I have an iMac (Late 2015) running Catalina. cura.log If someone can explain where to find a 3mf file I will post that too. I have a Ender 3 pro. 

cura.log Ender-3_Display_Cover_factory_srews_without_bell_closed.STL

Load a model into Cura and set up for slicing.  Then use "File | Save Project" to create a 3mf file.  It will have all the settings and your printer information along with the model.  There have been ongoing issues with Macs so the Cura.Log file may be the key.  You'll likely have to wait until tomorrow for a Cura Team member to take a look.

OK< I completely removed Cura of all versions. I deleted the entire profiles folder located here:

C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\cura

Restarted system and installed Cura 4.8 from scratch. It started from scratch as if it had never been on the system at all making me setup a new printer etc.

Using the Ender3 profile it still doesn't slice.

I decided to add an Ultimaker profile to the system thinking perhaps it's profile related so I added an Ultimaker 3. Still doesn't slice......doing the same thing.

If I uninstall the program and delete the config folder is there any data stored anywhere else? The way I see it what I did was essentially make it so Cura had never been installed. Are there are registry keys or something that could store some corrupt or incorrect data?

Also, even with the new install it won't let me login to the app store through Cura. I can log in fine via browser though. What happens in Cura is that when I click on the login button it goes to an ultimaker.com URL for a split second then redirects to a localhost address and it says:

Unable to connect. Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:32118.

I know this wasn't part of the original post, but I want to include this because perhaps it's relevant to the problem?

Curious what size is the file, I had a file at 1.5gb an wouldn't slice. Waited 24hr with 0 progress. Then I checked task manager and it wasn't using any resources, the slice engine.  Or cura. I am running 4.8. As well I lowered the resolution of my file to 500mb an sliced in 5mins

10 hours ago, Jmay90 said:

Curious what size is the file, I had a file at 1.5gb an wouldn't slice. Waited 24hr with 0 progress. Then I checked task manager and it wasn't using any resources, the slice engine.  Or cura. I am running 4.8. As well I lowered the resolution of my file to 500mb an sliced in 5mins

A 1.5GB STL? Am I understanding that correctly?

I can't even get a 150K STL to slice even using an Ultimaker printer profile.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Here's a part I threw in as a test.  The test.failed.3mf fails every time I try.  I turn on adaptive layers and it slices in a second.  Turn adaptive layers back off, and it never completes.  No CPU activity, just sits there (see image below).  Adaptive layers isn't the key, lots of settings will break it, lots fix it; I don't see the pattern yet. 

I cleared out the log, tried the one that fails, attached the project and log.  Then I closed Cura, cleared the log, reloaded, tried the one that succeeds, and attached that project and log.

I still have Cura 4.5 installed alongside 4.8.  I see this all the time with lots of parts in 4.8, I have never seen it in 4.5. 

My machine is Windows 10 Pro.  Core i7-6700K 4GHz, 16 GB RAM, about 9.2GB free.  I have about 249 GB of free disk space one a single SSD.  If you need to know more, let me know.

Thanks

Scott

image.thumb.png.44bbba655967a5a96a6c87a5ae090a07.png

test.succeeded.3mf cura.succeeded.log cura.failed.log test.failed.3mf

I loaded the "test.failed.3mf" file.  With the Ultimaker 3 active it's just as you say.  It only slices with adaptive layers on.

When I switch to my Ender 3Pro and my normal profile it slices as it should.

With the Ultimaker 3 active I can't load my profile so I couldn't check any further.

Another reason I couldn't check any further was because when I tried to switch from the Ender back to the Ultimaker 3, Cura crashed hard and closed.

Yesterday I installed the new Alpha version with the entirely new slicing engine just to see what would happen. Same thing. It bring up the little slicing dialog in the bottom right corner, but it just sits there at 0% and never starts any actual slicing. I let it sit like that overnight using the Ultimaker profile (so it can't be blamed on 3rd party) and nada.....

11 hours ago, scottmg said:

I turn on adaptive layers and it slices in a second.  Turn adaptive layers back off, and it never completes.

I tried it both ways in 4.8 and it just hangs.

I did have 4.6 on the system as well and that also fails to work for me. I since removed them all and deleted all original appdata folders to start "fresh" so I don't have 4.6 on the system anymore, but for me, neither 4.8 nor the new alpha will slice.

Hi Folks,

I've been looking a bit on this issue, and it's true there is an issue with 4.8.0 -but this is for parameter adjustments in experimental mode..  In here the functions working well, -but can also fail in certain combination!

Anyway, I opened all of your objects -no problem. I've also had the slicer "hanged up", but as soon as you change a parameter, Cura start a new slicing process.

The only way I could make Cura(4.8.0) go into an endless (hang up) loop trying to slice is:

Your object is sliced fine with "using adaptive layer" selected, but now, -select "enable coasting" and it will try slicing forever (or should I say "hang up").  Then if you deselect "enable coasting", it will slice your objects.

There is so many settings in Cura so best way to start is using known good profiles and work from there.

Oh yes, it also worked with the latest Alpha edition of Cura..

Thanks

Torgeir

4 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Hi Folks,

I've been looking a bit on this issue, and it's true there is an issue with 4.8.0 -but this is for parameter adjustments in experimental mode..  In here the functions working well, -but can also fail in certain combination!

Anyway, I opened all of your objects -no problem. I've also had the slicer "hanged up", but as soon as you change a parameter, Cura start a new slicing process.

The only way I could make Cura(4.8.0) go into an endless (hang up) loop trying to slice is:

Your object is sliced fine with "using adaptive layer" selected, but now, -select "enable coasting" and it will try slicing forever (or should I say "hang up").  Then if you deselect "enable coasting", it will slice your objects.

There is so many settings in Cura so best way to start is using known good profiles and work from there.

Oh yes, it also worked with the latest Alpha edition of Cura..

Thanks

Torgeir

I appreciate your testing. Shouldn’t the profiles that are built into Cura be “known good“?

i’m wondering if there was some small Windows update or something that was causing this problem? This exact same installation and version of slicer was working a few days ago. All of a sudden it stopped. I didn’t change anything else.

Edited by KaraokeAmerica

Sure the profiles built into Cura is good and those profiles are the ones Ultimakers printer's are using.

So a good start is to select one of those printers and Cura will start up easily..

However, if you've had installed Cura previously, there is "hidden" info about this and if this is not erased Cura will use this information from your previous installation. This is stored in C under the directory users \ (user)name \ AppData and in here you will find a directory named Cura containing sub directories of previous Cura version installed..

Windows10  store "all" application setups/configuration like this, so if you want to have a new clean installation you need to remove or delete this directory, -but it might be wise to save it -in case you'll need them for going back.. (IMO).

The issue you mention about a Win update, -can be an issue if you have some hardware combination that's not optimal between the choice of "main board / chip set / memory size / processor and graphic chard selected".  Conflict here happens more often than we think..

Lastly, when you save a sliced model in Cura, it will be wise to save it as a project file (3MF) format, as this file will hold your object (stl) and the slicing profile. The normal object file used for the printer do not contain this slicing profile.

This project file, is the file people like to see in trying to help(found in the upper left "File" menu under "Save Project".

So after using the "Experimental" settings, remember to store this properly so you can benefit of it later if needed, then revert to your normal profile in order to avoid issues like this. -Been there done that!

Experimental is experimental..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

39 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

there is "hidden" info about this and if this is not erased Cura will use this information from your previous installation. This is stored in C under the directory users \ (user)name \ AppData and in here you will find a directory named Cura containing sub directories of previous Cura version installed..

Agreed and earlier in the thread I mentioned that in my case I deleted all of those folders for the previous version that had been installed. unless there is an additional location as well, I had done this already, but still had the issue.

I also created and uploaded a 3MF file earlier in the thread for troubleshooting as well.

As I mentioned the installation went from working perfectly fine to no longer slicing with no changes in Cura. Version 4.8 was working fine as I'm guessing it was for the others in this thread. Any "experimental" features being used were being used prior. Regardless, when I reinstalled Cura 4.8 after deleting the appdata folders it was a default install with no experimental features enabled. I subsequently enabled "adaptive slicing" as @scottmg mentioned, but no difference in outcome for me.

If you have a process that I can follow to get it to work at all that would be great!

Hi @KaraokeAmerica,

I've been a little busy lately..

About the size in Mb for the stl file to be printed by Cura, hmm I'll think I've never seen any max value set, but if you have a PC with the right performance it can be high..  However, I would say that 500 Mb is huge for normal 3D printing..

I've seen your model, but there was no slicing data or printer type in your file, just the object.

When you upload a project file, you will see that your default printer change to another printer. I have an UM 2 and S3.

Normally, a laptop with an i7 / 3 Ghz is good in general, but for this use to judge -more info is needed, but since this is a laptop I'll know there is some limitations in the graphic area.

Often, windows during update, may switch back to "default" OpenGL version -a version previous OpenG2.0.

This might still happen (?), -if your chip set and graphic unit is unknown for Windows 10 in this combination.

Try to left click on the desktop page in Windows, you should see a possibility to select setting in your graphic adapter.

You may also google if there is some known issue with win10 and the graphic unit in your type of laptop. 

You may try to find a little more about the last upgrade and also about your graphic unit in your laptop.

There might be some third party solution for your computer.

By the way, I sliced your model with Cura 4.8.0 using the normal profile for UM2E and saved this project file.

Here it is:

Good luck

Torgeir

UM2EWO_GlueGunStand_Norm_Profile.3mf

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 2:52 AM, KaraokeAmerica said:

I appreciate your testing. Shouldn’t the profiles that are built into Cura be “known good“?

The Ultimaker profiles are, since we test them. We obviously don't test every single combination of settings out there, so we cant guarantee that all of them work (There are literally billions of combinations possible).

The non ultimaker profiles are not tested or created by us. We get them via contributions in most cases from comunity members. Since we don't have those printers or the capacity to test them in the same way as our own printers (and very little incentive to either get the printers or capacity), those profiles might be of a lower quality.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:28 AM, scottmg said:

Here's a part I threw in as a test.  The test.failed.3mf fails every time I try.  I turn on adaptive layers and it slices in a second.  Turn adaptive layers back off, and it never completes.  No CPU activity, just sits there (see image below).  Adaptive layers isn't the key, lots of settings will break it, lots fix it; I don't see the pattern yet. 

I cleared out the log, tried the one that fails, attached the project and log.  Then I closed Cura, cleared the log, reloaded, tried the one that succeeds, and attached that project and log.

I still have Cura 4.5 installed alongside 4.8.  I see this all the time with lots of parts in 4.8, I have never seen it in 4.5. 

My machine is Windows 10 Pro.  Core i7-6700K 4GHz, 16 GB RAM, about 9.2GB free.  I have about 249 GB of free disk space one a single SSD.  If you need to know more, let me know.

Thanks

Scott

image.thumb.png.44bbba655967a5a96a6c87a5ae090a07.png

test.succeeded.3mf 89.04 kB · 1 download cura.succeeded.log 93.53 kB · 0 downloads cura.failed.log 95.26 kB · 0 downloads test.failed.3mf 88.87 kB · 2 downloads

You're suffering from this issue: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8136

The logs state "2021-01-16 20:07:47,352 - DEBUG - [MainThread] CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend._onBackendQuit [898]: Backend quit with return code 3221225477. Resetting process and socket."

Could you please add your logs to that ticket?