Turn off bed after layer # or height ?

tonycstech

Posted · Turn off bed after layer # or height ?

Is there a way to turn off bed after layer # or height ?

ABS printing needs to be hot only for a few layers, maybe up to 10mm no more. Then it needs to get cooled so tape glue will not loose its adhesion strength allowing upper layers to pull up corners of ABS creating well know ABS warp effect.

I print with 100-120C on the bed. Layers stay straight most of the time, but if bed is ON all the time, pull starts to peal off the tape from the bed because tape is hot and its glue is not effective at such temperatures.

So i want to turn off the bed at some layer height or layer # to prevent my tape from pealing off.

Um... I think this one is much better probably:

https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/raw/master/TweakAtZ.3.0.1.py

This one works better with multiple objects printed one at a time (where Z goes back to zero again) and I think comes with more things you can tweak.

Yep this is the one that I used and works.

This is in my ABS profile which does the 1st layer Flow rate at 133%, Nozzle 260, Bed 130 (not accurate).

Layers are 0.12mm

From layers 2 to 4 these settings are changed

It slows down slicing a bit so you wouldn't want to add many more than this if you can help it

Tweak At Z 3.0.1 Plugin

How do i install them ?

How do i install them ?

Open Cura go to plugins then click in Open plugin location and copy the plugin you download in that folder and restart cura

Thanks !

Why is it that all height related plugins are only in mm's ? Why isnt there a plugin that does things at layer number ?

It wold be awesome to visually see where you want the change to take place.

I for one want to embed an object into the model, but i need to do it right before the layer that starts to go over that object once its in.

Interesting thought. Well - one thought - if you do it by height then when you change the layer height it you don't have to change it in the plugin. A small consolation I suppose. Maybe someone will write a plugin that does that. The layers are in comments in the code which in theory could change in a future version of Cura whereas the Z height is not in comments as it is part of the actual gcode that controls the printer.

Think about it:

I highly doubt that plugins can get a variable for layer #. If that was true, then all those layer tweaking plugins would have layer number as an option but they dont.

CURA its self is the only one (i assume) can see layer number and know exactly where its at during print. Its CURA that has to provide this tweak, not plugin.

I guess such feature does not exist.

I want to effect specific layer numbers. I cant do it by measuginr height and such, there is simply too much room for error and its too unpredictable.

There has to be some way or form of a feature for them to implement to be able to effect layer numbers and range.

There are parts of my print that need to go very slow due to their size, then there are parts that could use speed up because they are not as small and such.

This would greatly improve printing speed as well, because printing at one speed is not good to begin with. Speed much change according to the model structure or user input at given layer.

This is your typical G-Code

;LAYER:2
    G0 F9000 X17.67 Y86.32 Z0.70
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER
    G1 F2400 X31.94 Y72.88 E688.0399

Cura writes comment

;LAYER:2

I can make a small windows application that would allow you to insert changes into GENERATED G-code file after each ;Layer:# comment, but i dont speak G-Code.

I need some examples.

#1 Cooling Fan On/Off and Speed

#2 Nozzle On/Off and Temp

#3 Bed On/Off and Temp

#4 Print speed %

#5 Pause and Resume (how does that work ? Can i use it with LCD ?)

#6 X and Y separate commands for home so i can add filament swap entry and then need to go back to last known coordinates.

The way plugins work - they are basically complete python programs that edit the gcode after Cura has finished creating the gcode. Since python is a complete and powerful language the plugins can do almost anything a program can do.

So locating the "layer" comments is not difficult. The only problem is that being comments, Cura might change the syntax. The word "layer" might change for example in the future. But probably not. So someone *could* modify these plugins to take layer instead of (in addition to) height.

I dont speak snake (python) so its going to be very difficult for me.

I see that plugin code is not that big, but i still dont understand it.

I speak autoit and i am already in the process of creating windows application to tweak layers.

I run into some problems and such, but if someone with python knowledge could look into source of those plugins and do small change from layer height to layer number, that would save TON of time.

Or at least tell me how to do it.

i want to share my in progress creation. why cant i see any upload button ?

cant even upload picture of a file that i programmed to change layers

Click on the gallery link on the left of your screen, on the new page you click the blue "Upload" button towards the top right. From there just follow the instructions.

Once you've uploaded your images you can start a new post. When writing the post there's a toolbar above the area where you type in your post. Click on the "My media" button and a popup will be shown, click on the "Gallery images" link on the left and your images should show. Click on the ones you want to insert and then click on "Finished".

I know, it's really convoluted... You're not the first one to be confused by it, trust me.

What about files, can i share files ?

its an executable.

gallery_32780_475_10219.jpg

No, it's not possible to upload exe's to the forum, it's too risky.

What if its zip/7zip compressed ? How am i suppose to share it ?

Woah! That looks great! There has to be somewhere to host this thing, you could use dropbox or something like sourceforge if you want to maintain it. I would really like to have this program, even if I don't have my printer yet :smile:

Also, you took off with this idea; that's just so Awesome!

Update:

Pause/Resume is now fixed and tested.

Download it from ROBO3D forum page i originally posted.

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/tool-for-cura-users.1655/#post-12162

Awesome! I just downloaded the program and am fiddling with it. Glad to see you plan on maintaining it. I'll keep an eye out for updates and when I get my printer, I'll post bugs I find and whatnot.

Thanks!