Problem with raised letters

maggiolo72

Posted · Problem with raised letters

I try to print a part with raised letters on top, but after the slice some letters are missing.
I printed with cura 4.12.1 the part and the letters are missing like the preview, this doesn't happens with Ideamaker.
I have the same issue with others part from the same project.
There are some settings that I can do for make the things better ?
The .stl file is attached.

Thank you very much

[url=https://ibb.co/6WNW60F][img]https://i.ibb.co/nLRLhMj/Capture-1-JPG.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/wKNy3TP][img]https://i.ibb.co/MRDnWbt/Capture2.jpg[/img][/url]

UFC Body Modified - raised text -IB.stl

Oh super, so printing with 0.15 layer will fix the problem.

Is possible to make the whole part in 0.2 layers and only the past layer 0.15 ?

Thank you and sorry next time I will attach a project file.

That's right, it doesn't seem to work so easily on your printer.

I had set this on an Ultimaker profile. Where he had cut off there before the adjustment also at the L something.

The Cura slicer tends to ignore everything it cannot print.

When I go to detail full deflection with a 0.25 nozzle, parts of the OFF are also missing from the ADF lettering.

aaa.jpg.f78b87c1d96a0b2c90e6d621fcc76c77.jpg

To do that, I need to turn on Line Width.

I had no success with your printer profile.

Maybe someone else can help.

Wish good luck!

Vielen danke :). I will wait....

Posted (edited) · Problem with raised letters

Hello @UlrichC-DE and @maggiolo72,

The new Cura version is called Arachne and the second beta is available in a post HERE.  One of it's features is a variable line width and it handles narrow letters like those better than 4.12.1 (or earlier versions).

The first image below is your project file opened in Arachne Beta II.  I did make some tweaks to some speed settings and also changed to normal support so take a close look at the settings.  It is sliced with a .4 nozzle and .35 line width with Print Thin Walls enabled.  If it works for you I believe the Cura team is looking for feedback over on Github.  Actually, even if it doesn't work for you they would probably want the feedback.

One of the problems with the fine lettering on that model is that the STL is of a pretty low resolution.  In the "Prepare" view in Cura take a look at the faceting of the holes.  The fewer the number of facets, the lower the resolution of the file.  That makes letters like O, G, D, etc. tougher to slice.  The word "OFF" is so small that although it sliced OK it might not look to good in print.

image.thumb.png.6c82b640c058e69679869207d193f414.png

This is with 4.12.1...

image.thumb.png.6c11e2708b428e515ab17be41845d9f8.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Thinking a bit more...

It might look nice doing a color change at 142 and 146.  The letters are only 4 layers tall at .2 layer height.  A little definition might be in order (although you would have a different color stripe through the rest of the print).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

I did this on the beta version and it worked.

Then I just "Print thin walls" and it worked too. The version is for this case "magic".

aaaa.thumb.jpg.bd35d78f373337c13260be8dc9782992.jpg

bbb.jpg.2fdbc2e710982b227278767942a832ba.jpg

However, I also doubt that the letters are printed cleanly.

The time it takes to determine this is also special.

ccc.jpg.da84840ee98958ccdf1b3cb1f6cba1f2.jpg

Many greetings

Oh yes 2 days... OMG

I had used the default settings. There is certainly still something possible.

You can try again with your project with the beta version itself.

@GregValiant needs only 1day

Many greetings

But the beta version is a new version itself or make some modification on the non beta cura version ? I ask before installing it....

You can run both in parallel, no problem.

It is a pretty much a totally new version.  I think it is getting close to release.

I did cheat on some of the settings (there are a lot of outer walls so speed at 35 helped.  Support Layer Height at .4 (2X layer height) so it only goes down every other layer.  Still at 30 hours though.

Edited by GregValiant

Ok, work in progress, tomorrow we will know 🙂 

In the meantime I printed a small part and looks good.

268345774_279438604210410_7206840834283076778_n.jpg

Printed a small part for test with the Beta version, the letter are really ok, finally, but the quality of the top layer is not very nice, any guess or suggestion ?

AU20_HUD Panel Face Redesign - raised txt - IB.3mf

20211223_121931.jpg

20211223_121944.jpg

20211223_121950.jpg

Edited by maggiolo72

I did a test print of just the letters.  I wasn't happy with how they came out.  I opened the STL in MS 3D Builder, wiped out the text, and embossed new text.  In the image below I've left the original and added the embossed "BRT".  You can see that it would print much better as each letter has two walls.  The word "OFF" doesn't want to fit and when it's too small it still doesn't want to slice.

image.thumb.png.dbd257d26e5c948e550f01cbb390a993.png

Edited by GregValiant

So i made some tuning on the profile and with another piece looks better.

Any idea on how improve the top layer ?

20211228_170727.thumb.jpg.5e4c62ebd4cc5534b438442ab91c6c53.jpg20211228_170734.thumb.jpg.a77253e91e14d8e90e5c595f52687434.jpg

20211228_170738.jpg

LLK1_Spin Panel.3mf

It's hard to tell from pictures but areas of that print look under-extruded and other areas look good, and still others look over-extruded.  Check your belts to make sure they twang like a bass guitar string.  Also check the trolley wheels on the X and Y.  There should be no wobble of the bed or print head carriage and you should just be able to turn any wheel with your fingers.  Sometimes the hot end can get loose as well.

You can tell I'm thinking mechanical here.  I think you have inconsistencies in the location of the nozzle (but I'm far away and don't see as well as I used to).

I will check all, I have a lot of upgrade to do...

The hot end is not moving 100%, I will check the other parts, maybe the woobling springs under the bed, but I have ordered the hard silicon plug..

In the meantime I print the other part and looks not so bad with a little bit more tuning 

20211228_205803.thumb.jpg.ccfe29b8ff1d4c132353f34970c6a48a.jpg20211228_205807.thumb.jpg.df9c48b9250b7d0b523a11e757553666.jpg20211228_205812.thumb.jpg.14b0a661a50d0aacc5db6b9527a3cd97.jpg 

Still a little bit better but other errors.....

267982718_1258078308005208_3084496402568292381_n.jpg

268551466_3185223455031009_3688176070146796576_n.jpg

Edited by maggiolo72

Yes it's better.  Sometimes progress has to be measured in baby steps.

Are you ignoring the lower portion of the model in your testing or is that how thick it will be?  I ask because when I tested I turned support off and sank the model into the build plate even though I was sure there would be problems because of that.

The lettering is looking much better and it's still only 1 nozzle width wide.

I still think it would look good with a color change for the lettering to give it better definition.

"The only way to get a finish like 12 coats of hand rubbed lacquer is to paint it with 12 coats of lacquer and hand rub it." - Me

Edited by GregValiant

I print as is with 2 bottom layer and 3 top layers one skin.

I have no idea how do a color change, maybe it's too much for my poor U20 🙂

Hi there,

this is interesting, I've looked into this for some time and can see this is a panel made for an air craft "simulator" or maybe an "experimental" aircraft?

Those tiny letters should really need a 0.25 nozzle in order to print nicely.. But would not this letters be more easy to print if they are immersed in the panel?

If you're using black filament for the panel you can add white paint into the letters and make them more visible.

Also, you should try the last version of Cura (4.13 Beta), as it print this kind of object much better.

This HUD panel is much easier to print than the "Audio -select" panel. As Greg "says", there is a little tuning to do, but look much better now, great progress.

Way to go..

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

Made some other test, I am using the cura Beta since a while.

I think is good enough for me, no more stringing on top and more smooth top.

I will try the last experiment, I will add a couple of top layer because the infill is still visible . 

We will see 

20211229_141002.jpg

20211229_141007.jpg

20211229_141012.jpg

• Like 1