Inconsistent layers on UM2+

elnadav12

Posted · Inconsistent layers on UM2+

Hello, I have an UM2 with the upgrade kit installed. For some time now I can't get a smooth print. I performed some maintenance recently to try and solve this and some other issues.

All X,Y,Z shafts, bearings and belts were replaced. The heater block and PTFE coupler were replaced as well.

Yet, prints keep having inconsistent layers, my best description would be that layers are "sticking out". Is it over extrusion?

I have eliminated inconsistent filament diameter, as I tested multiple rolls of Colorfabb PLA/PHA and a brand new roll of Ultimaker white PLA.

During maintenance I also cleaned the lead screw and nut and applied new grease.

What could cause such issue? I'm really frustrated...
IMG_4730.thumb.jpeg.bc15004150f0df0357041fcfbea1c669.jpegIMG_4727.thumb.jpeg.679b89dfa903f57a64ddc495b0efbaa6.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @elnadav12,

Been away for some times..

Just wonder if your nozzle is just too big or maybe to much worn?

As you've changed parts in order to any remove mechanical play(?). This lines might move slightly in and out due to worn out -or too big nozzle size. Have a look at this -I'll assuming you're using a standard size 0.4 mm. 

However, your nozzle tip looks "some" worn to me (see last picture).

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

• 1 month later...
    On 4/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @elnadav12,

Been away for some times..

Just wonder if your nozzle is just too big or maybe to much worn?

As you've changed parts in order to any remove mechanical play(?). This lines might move slightly in and out due to worn out -or too big nozzle size. Have a look at this -I'll assuming you're using a standard size 0.4 mm. 

However, your nozzle tip looks "some" worn to me (see last picture).

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi, thanks for the response. It's a brand new 0.4 nozzle.

I think I resolved the issue, I noticed the feeder is "ticking" at low speeds, probably not getting enough current.

Although, when loading filament I tried to pull it as hard as I could and it kept feeding.

I looked online and found a new official "beta" firmware for the UM2+ that was released quietly in 2018.

I installed it and prints seem perfect now. Also fixed the ticking noises.

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/tree/UM2.1_JarJar/releases/beta

If you read this and have the same issue, just download the HEX file and upload it to the printer in cura 🙂

• Like 1

Hi @elnadav12,

Thanks for the feedback, great finding.

I'm using the same firmware version (slightly modified for my printer).

Uneven feeding can occurs due to too low current setting, Extruder current setting is 1250 mA.

Good catch.

Thanks

Torgeir