Schedule a print start time?

Posted · Schedule a print start time?

Would love this feature for my S5, I can't find any reference for it so I assume it doesn't exist yet.

My situation is that I need to have jobs run to really strict timings, and if I could schedule a job so that it starts in the middle of the night and finishes just minutes after I arrive on site then I'd already be 1 job up in my day. I won't have to wait for any heat-up time as well.

Is this something that might be considered?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Why exactly do you need the print job to finish at the time you arrive (compared to having finished earlier - e.g. by starting it in the evening before, maybe remotely through Digital Factory)?

Posted (edited) · Schedule a print start time?

Because I've found that by leaving the job on the plate, when it cools over a long period it peels up the kapton tape with it, shortening the life of the kapton covering. If I remove a job immediately upon completion the tape remains firmly attached. Timing the job so I'm there at the time of completion would eliminate that, so I could schedule a 6hr job to start at 3am and then I'll be there in person at 9am to remove it.

Might be a niche market for this, I understand. Would just be a nice feature to implement.

Cheers.

Edited by Super_paulie

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm curious. What material do you print that you need Kapton tape on your S5 instead of any standard adhesion agent like glue stick, Magigoo, 3DLac, Printafix etc.?

ABS.
    The bed-facing surface is the surface on display as a finished product. Have tried all of the above and the finish requires us to do post-production to get it in a state we are happy with. With kapton there is no post-production, its ready to go straight off the bed.

Actually i havent tried Dimafix. I did on my U2+E and it was ok, but the cost was quite prohibitive for bulk work.

Edited by Super_paulie

hi guys. Further to this, ive been in discussions with other users and they also agree that this feature would be of a great benefit. Not for the same reason as my own, but so that they can schedule a print to run during the evening when people in the household are in bed and dont have to sit with a printer while they are with the family.

Just a thought, seems like it would surely be quite easy to implement. 

• Like 1

this is still a real issue for me, any job that i dont remove from the kapton while warm will ruin the kapton as below, so i have to replace every single morning after an overnight job. A "Print Scheduler" would eliminate this problem entirely as i can time it for the print to finish while i am present, as well as not having printers running at times which are unsociable. 

image.thumb.png.34cbc1e3db33eade19e7d17d9cff9cde.png

This is a feature I've been wanting to have for quite a while as well.

I run a few different printers as part of my job and demand for them can vary, but in case of urgent requests I tend to keep longer prints for overnight. For example, I have two 17 hour prints I need to set to go, I want them to start as late as possible in the day to keep the printers free for as long as possible during work hours, while also still having them finish before I come in tomorrow. 

At the moment I just try to remember to set the prints to go at the right time, but because running the printers is just one part of my job, I'm not always going to be free at the time the prints need to be started. Being able to schedule them to start at a specific time will make things much more flexible for me, I could prepare a print in the morning and not have to worry about it, while still being able to set prints throughout the day.

• Like 1

This feature would be great in my use case as well.

Our printer is owned by another department and they have priority over us. So I will only start prints at the end of the day when the printer is free. It would be great if I could load a print in the queue and it starts by itself if the configuration (materials and extruders) is ok and the printer is free.

I would love if this feature was implemented. 
    As I live in an apartment complex with thin walls, my neighbors can hear my S3 at night through the walls. 
    Therefore, I actively try to avoid printing overnight when possible. 
    If there was a way to schedule a print, I could have it start printing first thing in the morning automatically before I even wake up to get ready for work, and I will be able to ensure the print is printing without issue before I leave for the day. 
    (Before someone suggests it- yes, I could just wake up earlier, but I'm really not a morning person and that's not changing anytime soon).

I think there are a lot of other use cases too, especially If this is implemented with a way to blackout specific hours. For example, a print farm may have scheduled electrical maintenance in which all the printers will have to be offline during a specific window. The user could blackout those hours on the printers and any job in the queue that would overlap those hours would get scheduled until after the window passes. 

This is a real great feature.
    One tip: there is way to send the job with the build in API (you need authentication to send a PUT request attach the printjob file).  You can then schedule the print with Postman or other API tools from your computer.

Edited by Stars

Yes, I would also like to have this feature, it would be great.

Edited by X-Type

You might be able to use some automation software for now until they get the feature implemented. Use something like power automate to record the process and then set a alarm or timer and have it run a ready sliced file from digital library. Or off your computer too to slice and send it to printer when the timer goes off.

On 4/22/2024 at 4:45 PM, 3dprntz said:

You might be able to use some automation software for now until they get the feature implemented. Use something like power automate to record the process and then set a alarm or timer and have it run a ready sliced file from digital library. Or off your computer too to slice and send it to printer when the timer goes off.

Haha, yes, someone ought to write an addon for Home Assistant that can take and store the g-code and send it to the printer at a set time :)