Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
diabolov

Moving an Ultimaker

Hi all,

Could do with a few pointers.

I'm going to take my ultimaker 1 home from work. Any suggestions about things I should collapse or remove to make a 2 hour commute on a train in rush hour and a 2 mile walk the other end a little less of a problem.

Thanks

Mark

With British Rail? It will hardly survive... ;)

No, seriously... I never moved mine around in public but I don't see any big problems. I would also dismount the Bowden tube and the feeder block. The most delicate part then will be the bottom with the electronics. Maybe you can mount some cardboard with tape on the bottom. I guess you don't even need to fix the printhead.

Wrapping some plastic foil around the UM1 might be a good idea because of humidity, making sure the plywood doesn't warp.

Will you do this more often? Maybe there is a possibility of install a intermediate connection for all the wires with e.g.Harting plugs so you can simply take off the extruder and place it in the build room.

And ref. to Robert - the IKEA bag work great...

Remove filament. If in a rush just snap it off. The feeder pops off and you can place inside but I'm not sure it's any better (that's how UM ships prebuilt ones but there's lots of tape and cardboard holding everything in place).