How to upload an image to the forum

IRobertI

Posted · How to upload an image to the forum

Quite a few people find it hard to figure out how to add images to their posts so I made a short video showing how to do it.

Please note that there is currently a restriction in place that prevents people who have not validated their accounts from uploading images.

I hope this will clear things up a little bit, if not, let me know what is unclear.

edit gr5: It's also possible to host the picture elsewhere on the internet but this is usually a bad idea as we want the pictures to last for decades and most sites stop hosting after a few months.

No, that works too. The downside is that external image hosters seem to have a habit of randomly disappearing and/or deleting images after a while. It's no fun going back to old threads and all the images are gone :)

• 1 month later...

Why don't you simply add a button called Upload in the toolbox above the reply area? Maybe then, beside being displayed together with the text it could also be sent automatically to one's gallery.

Because we're limited by the capabilities of the forum hosting software that Ultimaker uses. Believe me, we'd change the image handling tools if we could, because it sucks. :smile:

Thanks for the tips. I do believe it is because my account is not validated yet. I will check back on this once that happens!

It appears to be validated now though. :) You must have found the validation email.

I think it is counter-intuitive that you need to select/create an album before you can see the upload button.

The album / category buttons look like optional buttons instead of required buttons.

Maybe tweak the layout a bit?

I would furthermore like to see an [upload] button in My content > Gallery

I'm glad you posted this. I've honestly been shaking my head on how Ultimaker doesn't easily host images. Unfortunately I've used imgur a bunch already, but I'll use this method in the future.