UltiMaker Cura 5.4 beta released

ArunC

Posted · UltiMaker Cura 5.4 beta released
16 hours ago, geocodyrgia said:

I would HIGHLY recommend not publishing/advertising that this is out until AFTER Beta.  Just upgraded and all of my material profiles (except one weirdly) are all gone.  If 30 mins of troubleshooting and rolling back to the previous version don't solve it other slicers will get a very strong look.  Didn't have a reason to look outside Cura before now as all of my hard-fought material profiles were here.  Seems strange there wasn't some kind of backup process initiated prior to installing the new version.  Seems like that would be part of "migration 101" in dev school.

There is a backup. What makes you think there isn't?

The issue that you ran into is exactly why we release beta's. People find issues and then we fix them 😉 If we thought it was working perfectly, we wouldn't have to bother with a beta at all.

58 minutes ago, Cuq said:

Cura 5.4  Beta Crash at startup

Temporary solution :

Launch Cura as Administrator

Please do not suggest that as a general "catch all" solution to unspecified crashes. It can lead to other problems later on!

Your screenshot says nothing about what is going wrong. The information in the detailed crash report would. Launching Cura as Administrator may help in your specific case, but for other crashes it may make things worse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UltiMaker Cura 5.4 beta released

A strange thing happened with version 5.4. Apparently in some printer configurations such as Ender, Elegoo , Weedoo... the printer definition included a list of non-compatible materials exclude_materials. This list included all generic materials. This didn't generate an issue until this last beta, as if this parameter had no influence... With version 5.4, the developers have apparently reactivated this parameter ???  Versions of these printers therefore display the following message:

image.thumb.png.062b8211138e9d4986b7d18596c0041b.png

To temporarily correct the problem, edit the creality_base.def.json or similar base.def.json files and delete the exclude_materials entry:

image.png.9fa5108306fd6d42e14db2873069499b.png

Edited by Cuq

Another thing I've never seen or noticed before: Running Cura in Administrator mode on Windows doesn't generate a log file?  Is this normal?  

So no log file, no tons of messages:

2023-06-20 18:23:35,813 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py", line 517, in loadAllMetadata
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,814 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     self._updateMetadataInDatabase(metadata)
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,814 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py", line 438, in _updateMetadataInDatabase
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,814 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     self._recreateCorruptDataBase(self._database_handlers[container_type].cursor)
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,815 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py", line 412, in _recreateCorruptDataBase
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,815 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     self.loadAllMetadata()
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,815 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "cura\Settings\CuraContainerRegistry.py", line 379, in loadAllMetadata
    2023-06-20 18:23:35,816 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     super().loadAllMetadata()

and at the end no message: 

2023-06-20 18:23:35,821 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]: RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

So Cura didn't crash, at least that's the conclusion I came to.

Edited by Cuq

15 minutes ago, Cuq said:

Another thing I've never seen or noticed before: Running Cura in Administrator mode on Windows doesn't generate a log file?  Is this normal?  

Wrong analyse the Log File is generate in the Administrator AppData Roaming Folder ( but when you ask to show the Current Configuration Folder it's the curent user folder which is opened by Cura !) 

@Cuq this is the sort of issue why you should not just willy-nilly recommend people to run Cura as administrator.

Two things are still missing in my point of view.

- klipper flavor

- mmu support (actually erase all M104 t* manually to avoid error, and add a z-hop and park position for filament switching.

custom Cartesian printer with direct drive and mmu (ERCF VORON), running on klipper

Edited by Wolffy01

4 hours ago, Wolffy01 said:

Two things are still missing in my point of view.

- klipper flavor

- mmu support (actually erase all M104 t* manually to avoid error, and add a z-hop and park position for filament switching.

custom Cartesian printer with direct drive and mmu (ERCF VORON), running on klipper

We don't have a MMU, so we can't test / develop that. We will need to depend on contributions from others for that.

"- klipper flavor" 

I've been over the information on the Klipper site.  I perused it but I didn't notice any real difference between Klipper and RepRap/Marlin.  The Klipper site starts by saying that certain commands (G0, G1, G4, M104, M140, etc.) are the same.  It then informs the reader to go to the RepRap Wiki for others.  There just isn't much of a difference and a member of the community would need to do the research and point out what (if any) changes would need to be made to a Cura gcode to make it 100% acceptable to Klipper.

Klipper allows for custom macros.   You can add the macro name to a Cura Gcode manually.  I have made changes to "Insert at Layer Change" to allow for a single insertion rather than at every layer.  That would allow you to add a macro name to the gcode one time.  It's part of the package I posted HERE.

Cura is open source but it's' UltiMaker that does the heavy lifting.  None of their printers use Klipper so it would seem to require a "community member" Klipper guru to add (if required) specific capabilities for Klipper.

Edited by GregValiant

Can't slice model when using Custom Supports Cylinder.

This seems to have happened between 5.2.1 and 5.3.1, but it's still there in 5.4.0.

I want to use tree support with brims on the support, but not on the model.

It worked in 5.2.1, even though it only added the brim internal to the tree.

In 5.3.1 and 5.4.0, "Enable Support Brim" with "Build Plate Adhesion Type" == "None" will result in a tree support without a brim, and it hoovers 1 layer above the build plate. And will of course not stick to the plate.

Workaround: Use "Build Plate Adhesion Type" == "Skirt", and the internal brim in the tree is back.

👋 @blondthecolorist,

Regarding the Custom Support Meshes, this has been reported on our Github as well and should be resolved in the Stable release. 

👋 @mrb17
    We have a Support Brim Line Count setting that adds a brim only to the trees. You might have missed them because the support brims are build inside of the support instead of outside like the model brim. Can you let us know if these give you the adhesion you are looking for? 
    image.thumb.png.0249d63349de949c2530e61188e2a9e8.png

Ran into the "sqlite3.OperationalError: no such column: icon" issue. Nuking the existing cura folder bypassed it.

Edited by cgolchert

Tested with version Beta.2 ... same problem : UltiMaker-Cura-5.4.0-beta.2+3061ac-win64-exe

2023-06-27 18:41:04,559 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "cura\Settings\CuraContainerRegistry.py", line 379, in loadAllMetadata
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,560 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     super().loadAllMetadata()
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,560 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py", line 517, in loadAllMetadata
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,560 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     self._updateMetadataInDatabase(metadata)
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,561 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Settings\ContainerRegistry.py", line 437, in _updateMetadataInDatabase
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,561 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     Logger.warning(f"Removing corrupt database and recreating database. {e}")
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,561 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Logger.py", line 144, in warning
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,562 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     cls.log("w", message, *args, **kwargs)
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,562 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "UM\Logger.py", line 68, in log
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,562 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:     frame_info = inspect.getframeinfo(caller_frame)
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,563 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "inspect.py", line 1629, in getframeinfo
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,563 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "inspect.py", line 940, in findsource
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,563 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "PyInstaller\hooks\rthooks\pyi_rth_inspect.py", line 26, in _pyi_getsourcefile
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,564 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "ntpath.py", line 216, in basename
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,564 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "ntpath.py", line 186, in split
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,564 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]:   File "ntpath.py", line 35, in _get_bothseps
    2023-06-27 18:41:04,565 - CRITICAL - [MainThread] cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [69]: RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

Edited by Cuq

What happened to all the settings for Adaptive layers? 

Hey @cgolchert,

The Adaptive Layers are working for me in Cura 5.4.

Do you have a project file for us that shows the problem? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 

To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

8 hours ago, MariMakes said:

Hey @cgolchert,

The Adaptive Layers are working for me in Cura 5.4.

Do you have a project file for us that shows the problem? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 

To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

It wasn't project-based or slice results.  For some reason, when I posted, it was hiding everything between Adaptive Layers and Wipe Nozzle Between Layers.  I have "All" selected for settings.  After collapsing the Experimental section, slicing a few times, and expanding all of the MIA settings later showed up.

After installation 5.4 beta, it never fully booted correctly once always went straight to a technical problem dialog asking to wipe all my profiles and printers. After that mayhem 5.4 alpha is now all kinds of buggy but only after beta was tried. Should've read the comments first 😒 

Edited by GoguyT3d
    😒

On 6/20/2023 at 7:15 AM, Cuq said:

Cura 5.4  Beta Crash at startup

image.png.2bc4fc9dafdeb4c4497113b8cb765817.png

Temporary solution :

Launch Cura as Administrator

That was tried but didn't work for me 

@MariMakes

In your attached image, you have "Build Plate Adhesion Type" set to "Skirt", which I referred to as a workaround.  Try slicing with it set to "None". Then the support brim layer disappears completely.

Is this enough adhesion? I'm not sure.

5.4.0 is much better than 5.3.1 at making a wide base for the trees. With 5.3.1 it was often not enough with the internal brim. But with 5.4.0's wider bases, it seem to be good. I wouldn't mind the option to let the tree support brim grow outside the base though.

"Try slicing with it set to "None". Then the support brim layer disappears completely."

There are a few bug reports on Github regarding that as well.  A definite problem is that the support brim disappears and the support structure is missing it's first layer.

Hey @mrb17,

I recognize your issue. It looks like https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/14983.
    That's a known issue but seeing the number of reports I'll raise it with the team again 🤞