Material for Ultimaker 2

magicmodel

Posted · Material for Ultimaker 2

If it is truly 3mm then don't use it. Usually the filament is marked as "3mm" but is in fact 2.85mm. Do you live in china? I don't know any good chinese filaments but there are lots in other parts of the world. I suggest you update your profile with what country you live in and you will get specific recommendations.

For example colorfabb (netherlands) is good. There are companies in USA, England and Germany that are quite excellent. And there are really horrible filaments also. They don't stick, they run like water and make a mess, they smell bad and they look bad.

3mm filament will get stuck in the bowden - it might be okay for the first 10 meters and then you get to a wider section. You will end up throwing it all away. So make sure it's 2.9mm or 2.85mm nominally.

Thanks for the advice gr5, where do you get your material from and how long does it take to deliver?

Is the Ultimaker2's 2.85mm fillament the only brand you can use in the Ultimaker2?

Hi, it was by mistake ignored you in the chat room - can i see you there again? in fact i am a beginner and need to ask you few things related to 3D printer.

magicmodel

I see your in the UK http://www.faberdashery.co.uk/products-page/ has excellent filament in the UK but it does not come on spools. http://imakr.com/ has a large selection from different suppliers but there a bit more expensive than ordering direct but stock is in UK

I have been using filament from https://www.spectrumfilament.com/ with great success. Their filament is between 2.8 - 2.85mm.

Any recommendation on good filament vendor in US?

You have to check the filament specifications and, even better is to measure it. For instance: formafutura has filaments with 2.85mm specifications (such as ultimakers) but also has with 2.95 mm. After several trials I learned that the 2.95mm also works but, It is critical that you change the filament diameter settings at the printer in order to success.

In the USA, I like printbl.com But be warned - their filament spools won't fit on the back of the UM so you will have to make something to hold the spool. Not a big deal.

@Phil Evans: Thanks for the suggestion. Just to clarify my understanding, their site only show 1.75mm and 3mm filaments. Are you saying that their 3mm is between 2.8 and 2.85mm or am I not looking in the right place?

I have been using filament from https://www.spectrumfilament.com/ with great success. Their filament is between 2.8 - 2.85mm.

@Phil Evans: Thanks for the suggestion. Just to clarify my understanding, their site only show 1.75mm and 3mm filaments. Are you saying that their 3mm is between 2.8 and 2.85mm or am I not looking in the right place?

Correct. I actually find their filament to be around 2.82mm which is fine. You will find most filament suppliers will describe their filament as 3mm when in fact they are usually 2.9mm or less. I have found that some cheap filament tends to go much closer to 3mm, however this is not really desirable as if it goes wider than 3mm at any point you run the risk of nozzle blockages.

In the US, Ultimachine and Protoparadigm are also top-tier filament providers.