First layer of a perfect building plate leveling

Posted · First layer of a perfect building plate leveling

Hi to all,

after new firmware and Cura release I recalibrate the building plate level more times, but I can't understand why the surface in contact with the glass is not compact, is smooth to touch but I can see the construction lines. I use the classic method of slow speed ( 20 mm/s ) and high temperature (230 °C), like usual, but it not work.

I want to ask: can I see some photos of first layer, resulting from perfect calibrate Ultimaker2? ( if is possible, created with silver grey Colorfabb filament)

If you let the print continue, what does it look like then? Top surfaces for example, are they nicely filled in? If you are having problems in the rest of the print then perhaps it could be some underextrusion causing trouble with the first layer?

If the rest of the print looks fine I think you simply need to level the bed a little bit closer to the nozzle.

@Osgar: the layer thickness is 0.3

@ProfePaco: yes I have problem, but only for the first layer, after I installed new firmware and I began to use new Cura version.

Anyway here are the pictures of a freshly printed piece:

20140520 142618

20140520 142627

20140520 142632

@Robert:The rest of the print is good, not under extrusion and nice lateral surfaces. Cura create more unnecessary lines, but the top layer is completely close, without holes, and all the closing lines seem perfect.

Personally I've never been a fan of fat 0.3mm first layers. Some people swear by it, personally I never go over 0.2 and on the UM1 I always used 0.1. Try it with a thinner first layer and see how you like that. Of course this means you have to be more exact on your bed leveling.

@Robert: ok I'll try with 0,1 first layer thikness :)

I tried some tests and I notice those things:

-the ColorFabb silver grey and Ultimaker pearl white have problems with high temperatures, higher than 220°C. In this conditions, the deposition become "dirty", some lines result more dark, and the PLA seems granulous (I suppose that effects due to the chemical agent used to make bright the printed)

-with 0,1 firts layer thikness ( thank you Robert :) ), initial built plate temperature at 75°C and filament heated at 210°C the problem is less evident.

riprova

-the Ultimaker blue have not problem with temperature, like all the standard colors I think, and with 0,3 first layer thikness and filament at 230°C the surface seems very compact and smooth.

p.s.: The new version of Cura create too much unlikely lines, as you can see in the picture

Oh dear those pics make me want to gripe. Why are Ultimaker spending all this time redesigning a perfectly good GUI instead of sorting all these basic bugs such as retraction not working on the first layer and not being able to print a curved surface without leave blobs all over the place.

Hey guys, let's be fair. I think Daid is taking reported bugs quite seriously.

The combing lines seem to be a major issue. However, it's quite easy to get rid of them from second layer on. Just disable combing in the expert settings. If this is still not enough, i.e. if the hotend is still oozing, you can use the hop feature. Try something like 0.2mm for the hop.

However, there is indeed a brim-combing-bug on the first layer (it's still in 14.05RC3), i.e. while printing a brim, no retraction is performed. @Daid: Can you please fix this for the next version? :unsure:

About the blobs: You can reduce them by setting correct parameters such as temperature or filament diameter. Another influence is the material you use. Some materials tend to much bigger blobs than others (I don't want to name them here).

Again, there is room for improvement also with this issue. There is another thread about this topic where people made comparisons between Cura 14.03 and 14.01. I can confirm their findings while having these issues on a much lower level. I could imagine that Daid is also working on this. However, it might be a bit harder to find a good solution for this issue as there were good reasons to make the chances which produce the issue. The situation became better already from 14.03 to the RCs. Maybe Daid can give some more details about the effect and why it is maybe not easy to fix the issue? (or provide a link if I missed this information in another thread)

There is another thread about this topic where people made comparisons between Cura 14.03 and 14.01.

Daid already fixed this. I'm not sure if it's in the latest RC or not. It will be out in the next release.

Occasionally when he fixes one bug he creates another. That has happened twice in the last few months that a I know about. Fortunately he fixes it quickly. (quickly compared to say releases of microsoft windows patches/fixes).

After playing with temperatures, flow ratios, first layer speed, first layer thicness...

now I obtain a perfect first layer... absolutely perfect!

do you know how?

It does not matter the temp, flow ratio, speed...... it only needs a perfect bed levelling. this is my experience.

It also helps if the bed is really flat and the 6/8mm rods are really straight. I had to replace the original ones to come to this level.