Gaining some insight

SandervG

Posted · Gaining some insight

I use PTC Creo, 99% of the time. Then a little AutoCAD & Solidworks.

Would love to have enough time to dedicate learning new software, specifically Zbrush. I love stuff that people create with it.

SketchUp is or was not actually tuned to 3D printing, but at least there are actually already profiles for 3D printing. In addition, there are hundreds and more useful plug-in's. Currently, I do not Need a plug-in and no professional CAD software. Furthermore, I'm only thinking of all that when it is too cumbersome with SketchUp, meet my little goals.

I use for example the length snap-functions and reducing the precision to a maximum of three decimal places.

But actually it is good as long as you, no alternative CAD programs knows, because then you also missed never special functions of other software. :lol: ...I believe.

Markus

I agree that CAD software, the professional stuff like Creo and Solidworks are soooooo expensive. You also have to remember as a corporate user its often best to stay upto date on versions, so each seat you own costs approx £1500 a year for maintenance to include the annual upgrades.

I have not used any of the free ones, but hopefully they are catching up a bit. It`s like all the other pieces of software I want to use, not so fussed about the costs more so the years of learning to get anywhere near intermediate user let alone expert.

I use Cinema 4D.

It's a bit different than others and some features are more rendering than 3D print oriented, but I'm used to it, so there must be some real killer feature to make me switch systems.

About pricing. Many (most ?) CAD packages are available as educational and/or non profit versions, which are much much cheaper.

I use Solidworks at work but since I got my UM2 I started to use sketchup make at home. It was easy to pick up and I'm still able to draw what I need at home but if I need a more complex design I just wait till I have spare time at work.

I just wish solidworks did a cheaper home version.

I voted for not yet but learning because i don't master CAD design.

I've been playing around with several CAD softwares since i ordered my UM2 in January.

I started with sketchup but i didn't like how it handles dimensions (maybe i didn't try enough).

Then i tried several one and stumbled upon DesignSpark Mechanical which is pretty easy to use and quite powerful. This is the one i use the most.

I'm playing a bit with 123d Design which is nice too (and has the loft/blend function that lacks in DSM).

A bit off OpenScad too as i'm a software developper.

A bit off blender but too many buttons :mrgreen:

And Meshmixer also for sculpting and cutting STL files

I can't vote here or post in the dual extruder section for some reason.

I use sketchup for my 3d printing models. With a few plugins the free version is fast and easy to use. The only hard part is making sure your model stays solid as you build. I used sketchup, inkscape, and eagle cad to design and build a wireless handycapt accessible PS3 controller for quadriplegics. This is the main reason I bought my UM2. I'm glad I got 1 complete set of parts printed before UE issues downed my machine but a new nylon piece is on the way so I should be up and running in a week or so. . I will add pics after the Orlando maker fair.

You haven't validated your account yet. Re-validate and check your spam folder.

You haven't validated your account yet. Re-validate and check your spam folder.

All set now, thank you for the information.