bugs and limitations

danz409

Posted · bugs and limitations

so i'm about to make my first print and i have came across a couple bugs and limitations with the cura software.

1: bug, constantly have to reload my .dae for the "editing" tools rotate scale etc. to show up. which is annoying because if i want to do more than 1. it keeps vanishing

FIX- click object to get options

2. the product designed uses Imperial system (inches/feet) parts so i designed the system with that in mind. however the scaling for the prints is in metric. is there any way to toggle that to Imperial

3. Q. scaling. if you make something in google sketchup. does it keep the scaling that it was designed in sketch up?

A. the model was indeed to scale. according to conversions. actual print. TBD

i will give that a go. i not yet orderd my printer. it will be orderd some time this week. but as soon as i get it. i hope to do a sample to see if it does print 1/1 with google .dae files hopefully so it "looks" accurate. but with no mesureing tool its hard to say"

Suggestion to any devs: add a measuring tool!"

Suggestion to any devs: add toggle between imperial and metric

also. this still doesn't explain the bug about the tweeks at the bottom left vanishing after one use.

Metric is the standard for printable STL files. I might sound like a bit of an ass but, "deal with it" ;) (or you could simply scale the part in cura or whatever slicer you choose to use).

The size of the model is shown, sort of, when activating the scale tool. It will show the max x,y,z size of the model.

As for the disappearing controls. Not sure about that one but I'm sure daid, the developer, will want more details such as your operating system and so on.

the scale i can deal with just using conversion. however the suggestion is still valid. having the option would be nice and covenant. sadly the states still use imperial for EVERYTHING and its damn annoying.

currently using it on:

CPU: AMD phenom II x4 965

RAM: 16gb @1600

video Nvidia GTX 450

add a measuring tool

This should really be a CAD feature in my opinion.

Please provide a screen shot of any bugs in Cura regarding missing controls.

When I have a part scaled wrongly and it's too big I just scale by .03937 - I don't even think about it. I just *assume* the model is scaled in inches instead of mm. This works 90% of the time. Maybe 100%.

If it's too small it's probably in meters so I scale up by 1000X.

I think these 2 scalings have been the ONLY scalings ever needed. Ever. For a gazillion prints (okay for hundreds anyway).

Thinking back on this it doesn't make sense. But it works. I usually just assume it's off by 25.4 and scale up or down accordingly but once it was off by 1000 (meters versus mm).

found the problem. wasn't a bug at all. i found out that option only appears if you have clicked your object at least once. a little strange. but i guess if you print multiple things at once it makes since. now just need to order the printer. and give it a print! thanks!

also i did the conversions and it is to scale thankfully

This should really be a CAD feature in my opinion.

Please provide a screen shot of any bugs in Cura regarding missing controls.

When I have a part scaled wrongly and it's too big I just scale by .03937 - I don't even think about it. I just *assume* the model is scaled in inches instead of mm. This works 90% of the time. Maybe 100%.

If it's too small it's probably in meters so I scale up by 1000X.

I think these 2 scalings have been the ONLY scalings ever needed. Ever. For a gazillion prints (okay for hundreds anyway).

found the problem. wasn't a bug at all. i found out that option only appears if you have clicked your object at least once. a little strange. but i guess if you print multiple things at once it makes since. now just need to order the printer. and give it a print! thanks!

Yes, that the tools are only working on the selected object. For the "PinkUnicorn" Cura I added a small change, which selected the newly added objects automatically. Which feels a lot better, as it solves the problem you where having without you noticing.

(It's a bit harder to do in the current Cura due to the horrible code I wrote over the years)

As for imperial. No plans to add any support for that. Sorry.

@Daid: As a possible quick fix for the Imperial problem in "PinkUnicorn", is an idea to add a default scaling factor parameter (default value 1), which our Imperial friends then change to the proper inch to mm scaling (0.03937 as gr5 pointed out). Gui would still show mm (or mm/s) everywhere but loaded inch models would be immediately be converted to the proper mm size.

IMHO the best fix for the "imperial problem" would be if the 3 countries on this planet which use imperial units officially would change to metric units to meet the other 99% of the World.

The problem with especially the English is that the harder you try to force them the harder they resist ;-)

So give them a little help (default scaling parameter) and they can find by them self from the rest of the GUI how wonderful the metric system is :-D

UK, the country of origin of the imperial units, officially uses metric units today. They are switching at the moment.

btw: There has been a https://github.com/daid/Cura/issues/910 about a month ago. Daid declined the request with the very arguments I used in post no. 11.

IMHO the best fix for the "imperial problem" would be if the 3 countries on this planet which use imperial units officially would change to metric units to meet the other 99% of the World.

What?

We measure in mils which is nothing to do with mm, its 1/1000 of an inch.

There are 12 inches in a foot.

3 feet (not foots) in a yard and 1760 yards in a mile.

There are 22 yards in chain, 10 chains in a furlong and 8 furlongs to the mile.

There are 9 inches in a span and 2 spans to the cubit which is half a yard.

So whats the problem there. :grin:

Woofy,

(who is campaining to have UK speed limits set in furlongs per fortnight).

What?

We measure in mils which is nothing to do with mm, its 1/1000 of an inch.

There are 12 inches in a foot.

3 feet (not foots) in a yard and 1760 yards in a mile.

There are 22 yards in chain, 10 chains in a furlong and 8 furlongs to the mile.

There are 9 inches in a span and 2 spans to the cubit which is half a yard.

So whats the problem there. :grin:

Woofy,

(who is campaining to have UK speed limits set in furlongs per fortnight).

You can measure in toenails per eternity if you like... as long as you don't expect Cura to slice in that units.... :lol:

For the unlikely case you will not succeed with your campaign: there are possibilities within the metric system. For instance the astronomers still use centimeters and grams which is absolutely reasonable as centimeters pop into everyone's mind when measuring e.g. the distance of stars as do grams when determining star masses... :wacko:

btw: I'm a bit confused by the amount of chains in a furlong. Are you sure there is no typo there? Sounds so metric... :p

:-D You got my vote Woofy it makes perfect sense ;-)

@Dim3nsioneer there is a difference between officially adopted and practically applied. But glad to learn they saw the light :-)

On an other note: I always wondered why Americans who fought to free themselves from imperial rule still use the imperial measuring system while Canada, where Queen Elizabeth is still head of state, is a metric country, or at least they try, not easy with that bigger Imperial neighbor to the south.

There have also been many historical miles and similar units in other systems that may be translated into English as miles; they have varied in length from 1 to 15 kilometres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

So, about that mile you where talking about? :p

Anyhow, I noticed a small thing in my code the other day, and DAE files doe specify the unit size, so I can convert inch to proper mm if sketchup exports the proper unit size in dae files.

@Dim3nsioneer there is a difference between officially adopted and practically applied. But glad to learn they saw the light :smile:

Actually, the UK saw the light (the candela?) quite some time ago - starting with decimalisation of the currency in the early '70s the process was completed for all practical purposes I think by the mid 90's. And not only was it practically applied, it is (or was) legally enforced - shopkeepers could be fined for continuing to sell produce using imperial measures. The only major exception seems to be the roads, which are still marked in miles, and hence car speeds, still measured in mph. I think that's partly because no government is inclined to find the funding to change all those road signs! There may also have been safety concerns - people not grasping speed limits, especially if road signs were in km and older car speedos still reported in mph. A speed of 50mph is significantly faster than 50 kph!

I do wonder if people in the USA understand how much the imperial measures system hurts their place in the world. When I was a little boy it was commonplace to see "Made in the USA" stamped on everyday items. Not now. The last time I bought American I learned to regret it the first time I had to replace a sheared bolt and discovered it wasn't a metric bolt I could buy in any hardware store - I had to order it from an internet supplier. Seriously, that experience was a factor in my decision to buy Ultimaker and not Makerbot. Not the dominant factor, but it contributed.

The irony, I think, is that I'm pretty sure Benjamin Franklin would have been first in line to adopt the metric system if it had been proposed back then. It sort of half was - the USA had a decimal currency very early - and then for some reason they turned their backs on it.