Ultimaker 2 Collet Locks

kevin-osborn

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Collet Locks

I was worried about losing the little collet locks on my UM2, and had trouble finding a commercial source here in the US (I did find one chinese dealer that sells the whole collet assembly)

I looked in the BOM, and there wasn't any Manufacturer's part number, but when I looked at the source files Viola! there were models for both the collet and the locks.

I ran the step file through freecad to generate an STL, and printed them in PLA.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-collet-clamp

They work well (though are a bit stiff as you might imagine in PLA.)

They are a bit different from the original (probably an off the shelf part) but kudos to Ultimaker for modeling the part for us.

Printed vs. original collet locks

I tried searching YM originally and I could swear nothing turned up, but a friend pointed out this:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-bowden-clips

Which has different thicknesses. I wonder, is it really a good thing to take all the slack out of the bowden?

After noticing that the bowden clip on my feeder had vanished, I just took measurements off the one on the extruder end. It's quite a simple shape and easy to make a good facsimile in OpenSCAD. I printed off a dozen or so in Colorfabb PLA/PHA. They seem to work just as well as the original.

Yes, I found the Ultimaker drawing - which gave dimensions that didn't seem to match the part I had. Intentionally wrong drawings to foil the Chinese? I also found alternatives on Thingiverse which did the job but weren't the exact match I wanted.

Cool, Great info.

I think I'll link to those other designs in my YM bit. people should choose with info...

I'll try that wedge thingy, Can't get lost and can keep it tight..

DonMine, do you have your sources up some where? I can link them too.

Titus,

I can confirm that it won't work on the UM2. Anyone want one printed in PETT?

McMaster sells a pack of 10 for $2.29, Part # 51055K413.

That's awesome. Do they have the collet's too?

I think there should be a pinned topic on parts sources....

Here's the aliexpress one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-D-printer-accessory-Ultimaker-White-bowden-tube-clamp-Blue-horse-shoe-top-quality-free-shipping/1631656234.html

the same seller has several other Ultimaker parts

I think there should be a pinned topic on parts sources...

That would be nice.

BTW, I ordered some 1/4" PFA on ebay, and it seems a little too big in OD. I think UM probably gets it in metric (6mm) which is a bit smaller than 1/4".

It slides into the top of the extruder unit, but doesn't exit to mate with the extruder like the original one did.

ID seems fine, and maybe a bit better than the original (.1mm or so bigger)

The BOM lists an OD of 6.35+-0.1mm (or 1/4").

Are you sure it's not just hitting a lip inside the print head and needs a little push in one direction or another? I've had some tubes that have been a bit stubborn due to a bit of curvature to them. If nothing else you could just sand it down a wee bit.

I'll try that. I love your feeder design, btw, thanks for that! I frikken love this forum!

The tube is 1/4 OD, 1/8" ID.

I personally like this variant on the retaining clip:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:46157

It's a touch deeper, and holds the collet on the top of the Ultimaker² printhead nicely (it doesn't need the zip tie in that application). It's especially useful if you have early/worn top piece on the print head, so the collet can ride up a little bit higher than the thickness of the standard clip.

DonMine, do you have your sources up somewhere?

No, I'm even sure how that would be done. I'm not on YouMagine or any other filesharing site, and this site doesn't allow zip attachments. I suppose I can try pasting the OpenSCAD code in a code block below, people can then do whatever they like with it.

/* OpenSCAD Bowden Clip */

inner_D = 7.95;

lip_thick = 1.4;

outer_D = 13.65;

H1 = 1;

H2 = 2.6;

/*..............................................................*/

module flat_sided_cylinder(diam,thick,height)

{

difference() {

cylinder(r=diam/2,h=height);

union() {

translate([thick/2,-diam/2,-1]) cube([diam,diam,height+2]);

translate([-diam-thick/2,-diam/2,-1]) cube([diam,diam,height+2]);

}

}

}

module holes()

{

translate([0,0,-1]) cylinder(r=inner_D/2,h=H2+2);

translate([0,0,H1]) cylinder(r=outer_D/2-lip_thick,h=H2);

translate([-outer_D,-(outer_D/2+3.11),1]) cube([outer_D*2,outer_D,H2*2]);

translate([0,0,-1]) rotate([0,0,-135]) cube([outer_D*2,outer_D*2,H2+2]);

translate([outer_D/2-0.75,-outer_D,-1]) cube([outer_D*2,outer_D*2,H2+2]);

translate([-outer_D*2.5+0.75,-outer_D,-1]) cube([outer_D*2,outer_D*2,H2+2]);

translate([0,0,H1]) flat_sided_cylinder(outer_D-2,(outer_D-1)/2,H2);

}

module main()

{

difference() {

cylinder(r=outer_D/2,h=H2);

holes();

}

}

$fs=0.4; $fa=2;

main();

That's awesome. Do they have the collet's too?

I think there should be a pinned topic on parts sources....

Here's the aliexpress one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-D-printer-accessory-Ultimaker-White-bowden-tube-clamp-Blue-horse-shoe-top-quality-free-shipping/1631656234.html

the same seller has several other Ultimaker parts

I have ordered and received a pack of these collets from China,used one last week, works very well, significantly better than the old (worn) UM original collet

Illuminarti - McMaster will not ship to Europe so china (with free postage) is a good option

Kind of an old thread but for anyone looking to get a collect quick I found my local Lowes carries "Watts Quick Connects." The 1/4" coupler has collect very similar to those supplied by Ultimaker (round instead of oval flange).

I picked up a 90 degree elbow as it was slightly cheaper than the straight union.

So, if you cant wait the 39+ days stated this can at least get you back up and running.

I have created two variants "Easy-Clip's" they are part of my universal feeder, but of course individually downloadable:

A clip (H = 2 mm) is universally applicable and the Other (H = 2.5mm) is for the UM2 print head. CPv7Hs3Clip UM2Head

Markus