If you could own one other printer...

tinydancer

Posted · If you could own one other printer...

I know asking this is akin to blasphemy, but I'm just wondering what other printers would you own other than another UM2? I'm thinking one of those Form1+ machines might be fun to make tiny, detailed parts, or a Makerbot Z18 for it's huge build volume, but that's too pricey.

Who's kidding who, I'd just get another UM2. ;-)

I'm absolutely happy with my UMO.

But if I dont have to pay it... A big industrial SLS powder printer....

:-)

Zeni Kinetics Origin - build volume of 300x300x450mm. Got one on order for delivery within a month...

UM2 does not meet its stated specs as to build size, and the extruder mechanism issues are very limiting as to print speed.

Hmmm did you see that zeni working? Never seen one but the location of the fillament looks rather stupid. No way you change it mid print. As for speed. This thing seems to have the feedermotor at the head if i see that correctly... so it must be a lot slower than an um2. May be better at flex.fillaments though.

This RichRap 3DR Delta Printer is kinda neat and easy to build, although it's not a huge build size. I'm currently building this one along with a couple others here on the forums. I've always wanted a UM original.

3DR

I would go for a Delta Tower because i love the Delta system, and it seems to be a very good printer.

The Zortrax M200 looks nice too but only prints ABS (WTF?) except that i'm very happy with my Ultimaker 2, i still have to find some time to build my UMO. If i would need another printer i would probably go for the UMO+ to have a complete family :)

...so it must be a lot slower than an um2...

Why would you think that? The image you see is using a Wades' Extruder, and I don't see any issues with changing the filament during a print (or any reason to do so). Changing filament with a direct-drive printer is much easier than a Bowden-tube anyway.

The spool position is OK with me, and one can feed from outside the printer in any case.

Bowden-tube design is simply not good engineering, although UM has made it work better than one would expect. However, I intend to use a Flex3Drive with the ZKO, and since it uses a Smoothieboard controller, it should run a bit faster than a UM2.

However, the deal-maker for me is the print volume. I was not happy stepping down to the UM2 build volume, and the fact that it doesn't even meet it's quoted specs on that makes me want a grown-up printer.

Looking for a cheap UM1 to use the electronics for a homebuild larger volume UM++++.

And for a new one I consider bringing my money to http://www.atum3d.com/ for a DLP printer.

I've seen one in action and love the detailed prints :-P

i know they have an atum in store at makerpoint arnhem, but never seen it in action ...

i would love a teeny tiny one, like a tantillus or micro 3D, just a nice novelty, i still think for home hobby printing, an ultimaker is pretty cool.

Form1+... no doubt... I ordered one of their free print samples from their website and was absolutely blown away by the quality...

I cant really see myself spending that much money on a printer though... So maybe one day I will buy a cheaper DLP based SLA printer... There was one called m-one on Kickstarter by a company called MakeX, that I almost jumped on...