PLA-HT

mnis

Hello Community :smile:

I use exclusively PLA, from the beginning until today with my almost one year old Ultimaker 2, and in the future I will definitely use no ABS.

Anyway, the 3D printing with PLA is too often very problematic, but here are any interesting news for all who want to continue to work with biopolymers:

A German company called Multec promises a super-PLA having in the range, which surpasses even good properties of ABS. The material is called PLA-HT, and here there is more information about: https://www.multec.de/PLA-HT-Filament

Unfortunately, there is nowhere an information in another language, so I tried to translate it.

Original (supplier Information) translated with the help of Google Translate:

>>> PLA-HT filament ... The up to 90 degree heat resistant plastic PLA-HT, which is manufactured in Germany under strict quality control is guaranteed food-safe and absolutely health-safe. With the new PLA-HT Multec was a disadvantage of standard PLA, the brittle fracture and brittleness eliminated. the notched impact strength compared to standard PLA is ten times higher and exceeds that of ABS. the PLA-HT Printing Parts are more elastic and better resist outside influences without breaking. In particular, delicate and precise objects and parts for higher temperature ranges benefit from the new PLA-HT. The flawless extrusion of plastic ensures a clean and durable high-quality printing results. <<<

PLA-HT is currently available as 2.85mm variant only in white (very annoying for me). But for such a special material the asking price is really surprisingly affordable. I would imagine 200 samples to ship all over the world, but I certainly do not have time. In any case, the material I will definitely try and share my experiences.

2000 grams = € 66.80 + (€ 5.00 shipping Germany)

750 grams = € 33.90 + (€ 5.00 shipping Germany)

And good news for those who want to risk it:

"Worldwide shipping is Possible, please contact us: verkauf@multec.de"

I'm fully into the Christmas spirit, my wife is not excited about it. :smile:

Markus

Jonny, please keep us informed - this time I was a bit more carefull with klicking the order button and now I'll wait for your review... :-)

Currently a great price cut:

2000 grams = € 66.80 reduced to € 60.10 + (€ 5.00 shipping Germany).

...And I've obviously just caught the last filament role :smile: :smile: :smile:

750 grams = € 33.90 reduced to 30.50 + (€ 5.00 shipping Germany)

...But an undetermined amount is still available.

Markus

This is looking good...

I have one roll of ABS for the few prints which are temperature sensitive, but I do not like ABS and switching between ABS and PLA is always a source of problems due to difference in extrusion temperature...

I'm really curious if this material at the end corresponds to the major manufacturers promises, at least approximately.

Markus

OK i got my shippment of that material and i have to say..... its quite interesting...... i still have some problems with printbed adhesion, but it is still a very nice material to Print with. In its Properties it is quite similar to ABS, featuring quite a high temperature limit..... while having quite a low transition temperature difference. Meaning that the temperature difference between where it is more or less solid and where it is printable is quite low.... i am still testing how low in terms of temps i can go, but i was able to do 10mm³/s at 210°C.... which is quite remarkable.

My Current standard temps with that material are 220°C and 85°C. The Nozzle temp is that high to improve bed adhestion.

And when the bed cools down after a print.... the printed part just pops off normally.

I am currently running a test with 192°C ... so lets see how it goes..... will let you guys know.

I would be very interested in how it withstands 100C...

So..... i just ran some more tests.....

DSCF0091

never reached 10mm³/s this time but that was never the intent.

This first Test which is on the left in the pic above was done with 192°C. Click at 8mm³.... and then lost adhesion with the printbed -.- It was started with 215 degrees for the first layer and a bed temp of 85°

EDIT: I also ripped this test apart a bit because i wanted to test how strong the adhesion between layers is. Even with 192° the layers still bond quite well.

DSCF0092

this test was done with 200° started to skipp at 9mm³. 230° first layer and 85° bed. It had a decent adhesion to the printbed. Not a very strong one but decent.

DSCF0093

So i think it is safe to say a decent Print temperature for PLA-HT is in a range of 190-215 degrees while printing. Still.... the bed adhesion is posing a little bit problematic when the glue is not absolutely fresh. I am going to test it out fourther with 95°C bed temp if it is better then. It seems that the PLA-HT has a hard time to fuse with either the Gluestick or the Woodglue i tried. Both normally do quite a good job with normal PLA.

@ Anon i tested it out with 100° and i would say it looses about ~50% of its strength. Only did a quicktest though. That is something that is quite hard to test on the go...

Edit:

NExt in line is a Overhang test with 95°C bed temp... well lets see if the bed adhesion is better then.

Do you think it would work for the tea/coffee cup shown as the preview of the video?

When you say strength, does it become clay like? Or still stiff but weaker?

It becomes a bit like caly yes but stiffer. I personally would assume that the teacup would work.... allthough i would not do that. I am not sure that it is food safe.... whatever the manufacturer says.

Hi folks

Some news today from me:

... on 21/12/2014 I have 2000 grams PLA-HT ordered by Multec.

(+) On 24/12/2014 I received 2,200 grams, really 10 percent more:-)

(+) The packaging is good and provides adequate protection.

(-) The filament spool is surrounded only by an open plastic film, nothing more.

(+) A very large coil (DIN8559 with 300mm diameter, 90mm inner width, and a filling depth of up to 44mm).

(+) Commendable generous windings, the smallest winding forms a circle larger than 200mm in diameter.

(+) The BIG spool fits easily on the Ultimaker 2 - (...default spool holder).

(-) The winding quality is really bad compared directly with material from UM and Innofill.

(-) The material is slightly surrounded by contaminants, a dust collector should be used in any case.

(+) I wanted to break a piece of material, this did not happen to me, I had to cut it.

(+) The handling of PLA-HT (...in the raw state) is best compared with ABS, but it seems almost unbreakable.

A small addition:

Obviously Multec is only the provider of PLA-HT, the actual manufacturer is not mentioned.

The manufacturer / provider recommends for the first layer Blue-Tape in combination with bed temperatures 45 to 60 degrees. Oh la la, I do not have Blue-Tape...it was never necessary for me... :unsure:

:idea: The food compatibility must comply with the manufacturer's statements. So I am assuming that it is true.

Markus

Welcome to the club mnis.... maybe you can find out the correct settings to get generally good bed adhesion

Hi Takei ;)

So far I only know what Multec for the first layer recommends, you can see at the end of the previous post from me (Addition). Hopefully I'll be in the next few days for testing. So far I have divided the material on three ordinary filament spools, more is (unfortunately) not happened yet.

:idea: Had I already, two printing heads installed on my Ultimaker 2, then I would probably try the following:

1. Head ... Print only the first layer with normal PLA. :roll: :roll: :roll:

2. Head ... Print all subsequent layers with PLA-HT. :mrgreen:

OT: Unfortunately, I have too much Christmas stress, and by the way I have to find a good place for my very first PS4, somewhere and somehow near my very old PS3. I think I must first construct a wall bracket. After extremly necessary gaming tests will follow intensive material tests, I promise.

Bye for now.

Besides asked: Should we maybe choose the ABS profile on Ultimaker 2 (... with custom temperatures of course)? I read somewhere that side fans are regulated differently when the ABS-profile is used...

Well i did not and i dont think that would make any sense since the shrinkage is quite small.

Please keep us informed how the suggested blue tape covered bed works - my f****g self built bed can't reach more than 70 degree and I'd like to order some too. But that would be senseless if 95 degree are required for bed adhesion...

Oh, that sounds very good Takei ... overhangs should then probably succeed much better, I think. Whether you might find the time to print the little UM Robot?

Please keep us informed how the suggested blue tape covered bed works - my f****g self built bed can't reach more than 70 degree and I'd like to order some too. But that would be senseless if 95 degree are required for bed adhesion...

I allready tested with 100° now.... adhesion still sucks

OT: Unfortunately, I have too much Christmas stress, and by the way I have to find a good place for my very first PS4, somewhere and somehow near my very old PS3. I think I must first construct a wall bracket. After extremly necessary gaming tests will follow intensive material tests, I promise.

Bye for now.

Oh no - don't choose the wrong order of priorities....

Print a new wall bracket with HT - and kill two birds with one stone... :-P

Hey TinkerGnome ;)

Hrmpf, i.i.i. I promised my wife :wub:, no 3D printing from Christmas to New Year ... :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :ph34r:

Oh, that sounds very good Takei ... overhangs should then probably succeed much better, I think. Whether you might find the time to print the little UM Robot?

Here you go.....

Settings were 205° 80° 0.12 30mm/s

DSCF0095

DSCF0096

DSCF0097

DSCF0098

DSCF0099