UM2 update

x3nomorph

Dunno in what section to open this thread... but doesnt matter.

I would ask the developers to add the "current layer" info to the UM2 LED screen (if this is even possible with a new firmware...

That would be really nice to have a better orientation for the print ;)

Greetings! :smile:

+1

+1

:cool:

Hi tinkergnome, you have the .hex of your firmware modified ?

Hi tinkergnome, you have the .hex of your firmware modified ?

Yes, of course, but it's still a "work in progress". The .hex-files in my github-repo are not functional yet (probably related to wrong linker options), but you can compile it on your own, this should work.

I will keep you informed on the other thread.

Can you give us a short summary about the french thread - seems to be the same topic?

Greetings from the tinkercave.

A layer number would be better than the current percentage. Altough just displaying the Z coördinate would be nice. This way also when spiralizing the correct info is shown.

hi the tinkergnome.

Yes it is the same topic in the french thread. People want to see the Z position and other ( time, flow , etc...) during the print.

But the problem is that , there are no people know compile a firmware ( in the french forum ).

We are newbies ;)

We are interested in your firmware changes , although....

The .hex-files in my github-repo are not functional yet (probably related to wrong linker options)

If you have a .hex file ( bad or not ) I want to try.

sorry I speak English as I do the cooking :) !

Greetings from the rigscave.

Rectification, there is a person on the French forum able to compile :)

@amedee

I will follow your work the tinkergnome.

Thx

A layer number would be better than the current percentage. Altough just displaying the Z coördinate would be nice. This way also when spiralizing the correct info is shown.

Spiralize still use layer numbers it just divide the z step by every bit of G1 codes or so.

I asked Daid personally if there was a chance we would get the same information display that the UMO has. The lack of information during printing annoys me to bits.

The reply was amongst the lines of "no" and "you should just install the hacked version". I refuse because they are always behind the current master. To that the reply was that I should just do a merge with the head version myself.

The reply was amongst the lines of "no" and "you should just install the hacked version".

To explain that answer.

We think the UM2 should show simplicity by default. Not complexity. The simple printing screen fits the simple usage of the machine.

(Now, an option to enable an more advanced print screen might happen one day. But, so little time, so much to do...)

Daid... I really get the idea behind the pitch. To be honest: that argument was one of the points that convinced me as a complete n00b to go for a UM2. (So it works)

But in all fairness: once you get beyond the "printing the pre-sliced um robot on the sd card", you are in for a world of hurt. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Basically about 15 minutes after the package comes of, the entire sales pitch turns out to be a big lie and disappointment. The illusion only remains if you have someone that pre-slices everything for you and maintains your printer.

So given the complexity of the matter (at this point), we are all forced to "grow up" extremely fast, "wannabe simple or not".

So, just like you can do with Cura - once you feel comfortable - it should be possible to put the printer in "beyond novice" mode too. Because imo providing people with a printer that allows for more professional handling is as least as important as having a dummy mode on it. The dummy period will be a lot shorter than the novice/pro one

Trying to appeal to a bigger audience is IMHO a very short term vision, you want to keep your customers beyond that too. Making it seem simple only works for so long.

Just my $0.02:)

(Now, an option to enable an more advanced print screen might happen one day. But, so little time, so much to do...)

As I see there is a nice advanced display setup being developed (basically by TinkerGnome) right at the moment. I think it's clear that the advanced status display has to be an option and not the default.

I see no problem why the community (as it is not safety-relevant) shouldn't be able to develop a design and a proper (tested!) implementation into the Ultimaker2Marlin code which Daid just could include from a pull request. So I don't see a serious reason why such an option should not be achievable within reasonable time independent of any UM todo and priority list.

I'm pretty optimistic as the UM people has proved in the past that they care about the community and have included designs developed by the community into the UMO for instance. :-P

The dummy period will be a lot shorter than the novice/pro one

:) :) :)

I see no problem why the community (as it is not safety-relevant) shouldn't be able to develop a design and a proper (tested!) implementation into the Ultimaker2Marlin code which Daid just could include from a pull request.

I'm the last person who would not agree to this.... So we have a plan? ;)

At first - i'm full of respect on the work of daid.

Next, we (the community) should prove that we can do a proper and well tested implementation. Although such a pull request would be a big deal (compared to previous ones i have seen)....

And keep in mind: after that - someone has to maintain it further... you know who are mean... ;)

I intend to keep this fork up to date with the "original" as long as possible - at worse (respectively at least) for myself...

...as always - it's a matter of spare time available, and of course i have a "real job" too...

Sooner or later we will back at this point:

I see... a vacancy...? ;)

Edit: i nearly forgot - a (kind of) permanent custom firmware version, maintained by the community is also an option - isn't it?

If you're good at what you do, you can always send your resume. But seriously, we've got 5+ software engineers at UM now, and we still dont have enough resources to do what we want.

... and we still dont have enough resources to do what we want.

That's intended. Because you should do what the customers want... :lol:

Seriously: I felt some changes in the recent past on the software side; more topics are followed at the same time... it's almost a kind of 'awakening'... :mrgreen: You're doing not too bad... ;)

Nallath what does 5+ mean? You have 5 and a piece of a developer? Or just 5 really good ( + ) ones? :)

Or one which is superior to everybody else? No names! ;)

We have 5 fulltime software engineers and a 2 interns. You can't really count them as a 'full' software engineer, but you can't discount them fully. But most of the 'not counting as full' is due to constraints set by the universities, we can't just let them make anything. The stuff they need to do must have academic value, etc.

(and yes, i'm obviously superior, thanks for noticing ;). )

+1