Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ultiarjan

new CURA release date announced !

Well, every version of Cura has had bugs (and missing features). Most of the stuff that you want to do (read; pretty much the stuff that 95% of the people use) will work. Atleast, it should work ;) Some of the weird functionality, such as importing minecraft levels directly into cura and converting images into models wont be supported.

@yellowshark: Partially agreed. A new version should have the features widely used without bugs. But maybe it doesn't have to have ALL the old features right from the start.

Which will be the case for PU. It's not to be expected that it will e.g. support dual extrusion right from July on as there is no dual extrusion on the UM2 family. But support will be improved as everyone can see from the github source of the Curaengine PU branch.

But functionality will be increased as the new Cura works with plugins for nearly anything as Daid pointed out a few months ago on the forum.

Well, it depends what you're looking for... ;)The Curaengine can be run without GUI. But I got you... so now, not for the time being. They decided to select a group of people who will test it before July. I don't know for which OS the test will run. But I'm pretty sure it will be quite solid when being launched in July. It will be certainly much more solid than the community web software (oops, did I write that? :p ).

Edited by Guest

Lol well you hit the nail right on the head there. I was certainly hoping/anticipating that support for dual extrusion would be improved because I have dual extrusion! Without dual extrusion as it stands now, I will probably decide to stay on the old version unless there is something seriously good with PU that makes it worth using both versions, such as reduced print times or better surface quality.

I can see where you are coming from on that one but having spent 10 years (excluding management) in software development for a major financial services company, we would never release software without existing functions, not improved maybe but not dropped. Unless you are phasing some old process out, you just do not do software that way. Anyway it is good to know it is imminent so we can have a play with it. I just hope it is not like the new forum which seems like a backward step in usability so far.

It will be certainly much more solid than the community web software (oops, did I write that? :p).

Daid it's you ? :)

I officially declare that Daid hat nothing to do with the above phrase and it was my own phrase by 100%... :D

@yellowshark: You're absolutely right concerning paid software. But I think one should make a small difference for open source software where a community can join the development. You're right about my background. I'm not a software engineer but a physicist. I'm used to the fact that new technologies are more expensive and less reliable and powerful when they start but will overtake existing technologies during their lifetime. This might be a model that can be applied to open source software as Cura.

I can assure you that I will be pushing about the dual extrusion as I happen to have a dual extruder UMO.

• Like 2

@dim3nsioneer: Thanks for your clarification on the dual extruder aspect, much appreciated.

Very fair comments on the open source position, companies pay for their software by the cost of their software development staff and expect (and pay for) a certain level of standards and it was probably unfair of me to make such a comparison. I do often forget that Cura is open source, thinking that it is owned and funded by Ultimaker (or maybe it is). I really know nothing about open source – a foreign world to me 8)