Curvy details not printing

Posted · Curvy details not printing

Hello,

I'm printing a swirl design and it's not incredibly thin but there are bits missing throughout. I was wondering if anyone could suggest why this could be happening/what to try?

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.5963be48b7e28ea192fc53b470e56085.jpg

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.5963be48b7e28ea192fc53b470e56085.jpg

With default settings your "walls" need to be .8mm wide as minimum. A quick workaround in your case is to set your nozzle width to .35 and your shell width to 0.7 (for two passes on the normal parts). Even though you have a .4mm nozzle it will work "okay" at .35 extrusion (12% underextruded - 12% less than normal plastic coming out and also lines are 12% closer together - all lines - infill - everything).

Always check in layer view to see how it will come out. If you can get those thin walls with .38mm then all the better. But always always make shell width an integer multiple of nozzle wicth.

Posted (edited) · Curvy details not printing

0.4 to 0.35 is not 12% reduction in throughput.

Areal of 0.4 holes is 0.1256 mm2. Areal of 0.35 hole is 0.096

Reducing flow by 22% is closer to the same throughput. But I guess it is all theoretical..

(OMG I LOVE it when gr5 makes a mistake and I can catch him. My worry is the mistakes he makes which I am not able to identify, which is probably usually the case...)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

With default settings your "walls" need to be .8mm wide as minimum.

My go to width for support walls that I design into my models is 0.5mm so this isn't true in my experience.

Maybe try not having such fine detail if you dont know how it will look, slowly scale things down and see how much detail you can keep rather than just trying tiny things out. some things scale down well, some things need to be built with your printing in mind. I generally only print with 1.2 shell and have no real issues. if you send me your model i'll print it at 1.2 just to see how it looks.

I now kind of know my limits, and just work within those boundaries. I used to have 0.8mm shell with infill but found it was too thin, especially for my acetone dips. Now i do 1.2 with no infill.