All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. @NUC11:~/.config/cura/5.6$ ls -lta total 36 drwxr-xr-x 3 chaz chaz 4096 May 8 14:20 . -rw------- 1 chaz chaz 17312 May 8 14:20 cura.cfg -rw-rw-r-- 1 chaz chaz 51 May 8 14:20 plugins.json drwxrwxr-x 4 chaz chaz 4096 Apr 4 07:42 .. drwxrwxr-x 2 chaz chaz 4096 Oct 1 2022 scripts chaz@NUC11:~/.config/cura/5.6 There was a cura.cfg in .config. I moved it away and restarted cura, but when Cura started, it went to a blank slate, and was asking me to setup my machines and everything from scratch. This scared me so I copied it back, and restarted and everything is back to normal. Is this what was expected?
  4. "Then, I click print on Cura." So you are not printing from the SD card. Are you printing over the USB or is Octoprint or some other app in between? If you can print via an SD card then load the gcode to a card and print it that way. Bypass everything except the printer.
  5. I was thinking about this and it could also be managed by a layer-by-layer take to regular expressions or whatnot. Having had a look at the G-code, I can definitely envision a python script to do it, even reading the layer numbers --- but having a plugin preserves the print-button feature.
  6. GV, Thanks for the info. I haven't looked at gcode before until the last few days trying to figure this out. AnyCubic requires a manual process to says to go through an auto leveling process. I do it by clicking through a few menus on the machine's LCD. There is also another process I do as a user to manually set the nozzle height. Then, I click print on Cura. The AnyCubic Kobra sets the nozzle temp to 120C during auto leveling. Anyway, I opened the file you sent. I selected the "Open as Project" option. Still won't print. Behaves exactly the same. Why did it print successfully the first time? It was a different file but the only difference in the files is the diameters. What would you do next? Thanks, Dave
  7. If you’re asking that question, don’t try it. App image is the official method for cura use in Linux. Just use that. Keep in mind I’m a nerd who plays with systems for fun (and a paycheck). Cura is not a trivial code base. Make sure you understand how general code building tool chains work before tackling cura. Then be prepared to read, build, fail, troubleshoot, reread, build, fail, troubleshoot, repeat. Patience and asking questions the right way will get you there. not sure it’s worth the effort though.
  8. I will try the other suggestions above later when I get back to my system. Appimage as the only way I'm familiar with to get Cura...also my first time ever using Appimage. Is there a better way and does anyone have good luck compiling Cura from source?
  9. So... in the old school days, local was a generic fall back for non-standard installed stuff. /bin, /sbin for core OS, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin for system level "add ons" and "user space" stuff. We used /usr/local for third party and self rolled things. There would typically be all the standard directories in there (/etc, /bin, /sbin, etc). Then pure user space files lived in $HOME (because on nis/nix plus, home were often fun things like /users/j/jo/jodell which then mapped to /net/jodell and/or /home/jodell or, my favorite way to torture the not so innocent developer, /net/srv/$HOST/export/$USER/home/insecure/shared (where they had to know which host we happened to create use for their workgroup)(moral .. don't fork with your sysadmins by pretending you know how to directly access raw devices len... otherwise your home direcory gets hard to find and your pasward expires every 8 minutes). Move that into modern *nix and you get a mishmash of file standards about how to properly store user space configs. The POSIX (and I think SYSV) methods would be that software should look in $HOME/.<app>/<vers>/etc $HOME/.<app>/<vers>/local/etc $HOME/.<app>/<vers>/ $HOME/.<app>/etc $HOME/.<app>/local/etc $HOME/.<app> $HOME/etc/<app>/<vrs> $HOME/etc/<app> $HOME/local/etc/<app>/<vrs> $HOME/local/<app> $HOME/<app> /usr/local/<app>/etc/ /usr/local/etc/<app> /usr/local/<app> /etc/<app>/<vers> /etc/<app> I may have missed a directory or ordering in there, but there are standards that "should be" implemented. I'm not going to fuss over it, but linux development is notorious for "we do it our way" which is why I'm not a fan of app impage and prefer building from source when I can. Or just using Mac.
  10. Thanks! I'll look forward to trying this out!
  11. Whether they're morons isn't really relevant. What matters is whether they're sheeple who just follow what other people are doing. Less intelligent people (not including you, since if you're smart enough to know you're not a genius, you're not stupid enough to think you are) can be capable of independent thought, which I would say is dangerous, but considering people have killed themselves doing "challenges" on TikTok, probably less dangerous than following the herd. Intelligent people can be sheeple just as easily though (i.e. Cult of iPhone) and that's the real shame since their independent thoughts might be worth something.
  12. For reasons I've never understood, Cura creates folders at both ~/.local/share/cura and ~/.config/cura Why it has a folder in .config I've never understood because it always seems to load the configuration from .local Maybe see if there's a cura.cfg in ~/.config/cura/5.6 and if so move it somewhere else on the computer (move instead of delete in case it messes things up completely, you can move it back) and see if it'll generate a new config file in one or both folders.
  13. I appreciate the sentiment, but don't worry about it. I'm well adjusted. They don't want to act like they're family, I don't have to bother acting like they are. Saves money at Christmas. Fewer presents to buy. 😄
  14. There is still no cura.cfg file. I did what you said and uploaded the log. cura.log
  15. Ahhh ok, now I get it; I'm sorry for you. You can't choose your "family"... 🥴
  16. To use the OctoPrint connection plugin, you still need to add and configure a printer in Cura first. So no, it is not a good idea to add a skip button here, since Cura does not work without a printer configured. You need to add a non-networked printer to Cura, and then configure the OcotPrint connection plugin to point it to your octoprint instance. To elaborate a bit, Cura does actually let plugins "hook into" the "Add a networked printer" functionality a bit. The reason I never added support for that is that Cura does not have a way to know the type (brand/model) of printer that is configured in OctoPrint, so I would still need to ask the user to select a printer type from the long list. And you would somehow have to install the OctoPrint Connection plugin before starting Cura. That just makes it too much work for too little gain.
  17. It's been at least ten years since my stepmother has talked to me or even sent an email or message. "Good riddance to bad rubbish", as my mum would say.
  18. Ah, so you have Experimental > Wipe Nozzle Between Layers turned on? Looks like something it wouldn't be too hard (always famous last words) to whip up a post-processor to remove above a certain layer. Just.. not at 12:30 at night. Later today though I'll look it.
  19. Sorry, don't understand that "metapher (?)" ...
  20. The original question this topic was about was not answered - how do we skip the add printer wizard? I need to install the octoprint addon for my printer - it's networked and too far away, and Cura's networked printer support doesn't work. In old versions of Cura this was a simple thing to accomplish - but now this wizard will not allow me to skip it and I cannot use the app at all. Why did someone think it was a good idea to skip adding a skip button on a wizard?
  21. As a stepchild, I can tell you from experience that this is treated much better than a stepchild. For starters, someone has cared about it within the last ten years.
  22. *tentatively aises hand* yes please? I accept all responsibilty for the damage to my sanity and relationships. the problem with people thinking for themselves is that many of them are ... how do i say this nicely... forking morons. That's as nice as I can say it. I'm not saying I'm smart, so when I think your stupid, things are bad.
  23. I just took a moment to download the gcode file to my workstation ... it looks like that idea is possible: ;LAYER:50 ;WIPE_SCRIPT_BEGIN G0 X250 Y35.322 G0 X270 Y35.322 G0 X250 Y35.322 G0 X270 Y35.322 G0 X250 Y35.322 G0 X270 Y35.322 G0 X72.326 Y35.322 G1 F1500 E2.54158 ;WIPE_SCRIPT_END ... so yes... looks possible.
  24. Feedback is great and all.. But your mostly shouting at the void right now. Best place to provide this such of feedback is on github where the dev's are nearly full-time.. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions They only occasionally lurk the community forum. Additionally UltiMaker Cura is open source. The shear number of people that contribute to the code base makes it clear when people want something that has no resources to be developed they take it upon themself to get it done. With that said, clearly there has not been as much demand for added support for this functionality you mention as it does not appear anyone has figured it was worth their time to add it if they wanted it.
  25. Agreed these are niche features from the hobbyist standpoint however the S line upwards are marketed as professional machines and are quite locked into using Cura which again is put forward as a professional system. Ultimaker provides plugins for all the main CAD platforms which is great but not having the same spin zoom pan setup as your CAD system is a pain when it is the day job rather than a hobby.
  26. I don't know internals, but there is a checkbox for wiping. I suppose you could remove it's effect for every layer above 50. Is that an easier ask?
  27. Hi all, I am currently using Cura version 5.6.0 and an Ender 5 Plus printer with BondTech DDX direct drive and Micro swiss hotend. Attached to this post you can find the problem I am experiencing at the moment. The first series of layers seem to be pressed together, resulting in a very rough print. After some 6-8 layers, this normalizes and the print will mostly continue as expected. What settings could be at the basis of this problem and how can I solve this? - It could be something with the Z steps, but why does it normalizes after several layers? - The amount of layers showing the issue is different from the amount of bottom layers. - It happens with basically all my filaments, both PLA and PETG. - travel retraction distance is set to 1mm. In addition, as some might notice, the start and/or end of the outer wall are not always properly filled. I am not sure on the direction in this print, but it seems to start either too late or with a blob, or ends the line ending with a blob or too soon, resulting in missing filament. Who can help me fix this? Many thanks in advance! Tim
  1. Load more activity