Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
periander

Printing Order Of Mutiple Objects

Hey guys,

i hope you can help me. I'm trying to print mutiple copies of the same object at once. But Cura has a very random printing order which will result in destroying my prints. (I want to print every object at ones and then go to the next, without passing over a already printed object).

Is there a option to say Cura which object to print first and which second and so on?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

When printing multiple objects there are two modes for cura: "print-at-once" and "one-at-a-time". Your post is confusing me because you are mixing your definition with the cura definition (I think - or maybe not - like I said - confusing).

So I'll try to answer the question both ways:

If you do print-all-at-once it will print one layer of each object then repeat over and over and all the objects will be done at the same time. It shouldn't matter what order because the head can't hit the other objects, right? The order changes on every level change anyway for example if you print 10 things in a line it will raise the Z on the left end and then next time on the right end.

if you print one-at-a-time Cura prints one object and only when it is done does it move to the next. Cura looks at the machine values (like gantry height, head shape) and is careful to never bump any of your existing prints. If it is bumping then you need to adjust these values in machine settings.

You can force print-all-at-once mode in the menu system. You can't force the other method if objects are placed wrong or if any one part is taller than the gantry (because the x/y rods will knock over the piece when the table goes back to z=0).

sry for mixing terms up. i want to print the objects one by one.

i can see the printing order in the layer view but i'm not always satisfied with the printing order. what cura doesnt know is that i have a huge fan addon on my extruder so my machine will bump into other objects with some cura generated paths.

so it would be cool if you could deside which object to print first and so on in further updates.

There is no way to decide the order (besides moving things around until it "randomly" gets printed in the order you want). But you can change the size of your print head in the settings so that it correctly avoids the problem of hitting the shroud. You can find those setting on the right side in "Machine -> Machine settings".

Knock it out with the head? It depends how tall the object is. I tried this with bracelets but the nozzle melted the bracelet in the 3 seconds it took to knock it off so I modified the head and gave it a big plow. like a snow plow. But if the object is taller then it might work. I recommend blue tape or at least no glue because you don't want the part to stick too well that you can't knowck it off.

As an aside, unless it has changed in the latest versions, the print all at once has never worked properly. Say you have four objects 1234, the print order is 1234,4321,1234,4321 etc etc. So the last object in the sequence has less time to cool than the other before the next layer is printed. Not an issue if the models are reasonably large but can cause problems if the models are small. So you have to slow the speed right down which defeats the object.

It's done that way to save time.  Less travel.  you can always add a dummy tower at each end and throw that away later but it might be nice to have it print in the same order every time instead of moving to the closest object next.

Edited by Guest