Ultimaker Original / Ultimaker 2 / 3d Printer Builder Dual Feed

Posted · Ultimaker Original / Ultimaker 2 / 3d Printer Builder Dual Feed

Hi!

I am thinking about buying my first 3D printer, I am trying to read as much info regarding the UMO+ and UM2. I am also trying to find reviews of the 3D Printer Builder dual feed but I am having difficulty looking.

Anyway, I am really looking for good quality prints, from what I have read, probably UM2 is better than UMO but not by much. Anybody have any ideas on how the 3D builder compares to the UM's?

Thank you

3dhubs.com has the best printer comparison information. I strongly recommend them - it's pretty easy to find from their main web page - only one hover and one click. (start with "learn" menu).

dual extrusion only on the UMO. Not sure that UM2 is any better than UMO+. Both printers have had lots of advances - UM keeps improving both of them. To see the kind of quality you can get go to this thread and be prepared to be blown away:

Start with this page and go backwards - only looking at pictures until you see something you like:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/1467-post-your-latest-print?page=336

First thing to answer is if you need dual extrusion y/n.

If not an ultimaker is superb! Lightweight head and easy to maintain (you can repair it yourself if you how to use a screwdriver) and you have the support of this forum.

If you are not in a hurry ultimaker might someday also have dual extrusion. If you want dual extrusion now you can have a look at the BCN3D sigma. A Barcelona based open source printer.

whatever you do buy open source. .. the availability of all info you need and the ability too upgrade parts is something more important than you might realise.

And depending on where you are go visit a shop. In de Netherlands f.e. I like Makerpoint (arnhem is closed for me).

Well, dual extrusion is not really that important, although the one in 3d builder catches my attention, my main consideration really is the quality and ease of use. I do agree that UM2 quality and reviews are really good, so supposedly the UMO+ should have the same quality or close to it.

For the 3D builder, there's only a handful of reviews on the 3dhubs and its hard to find pictures of sample prints, the primary reason I went to this forum and maybe somebody have both and can really compare the ultimaker and the 3D builder.

I am kind of leaning towards the UMO+ primarily because of the price difference (hope I will not be wrong).

Thanks!

You could get an umo+ and change the pulleys to gt2 to close the gap to um2. Ofc um2 it's more 'solid' literally and makes less sound (because wood works like a guitar box). There's a lot of mods on umo that make the gap invisible. And my first umo+ I ordered preassembled but after 6months with it I could dismantle it without problems. Is really not hard at all. To fine tune it there are many many posts about it.

As an Ultimaker Original owner, who has had some struggles along the way, my advice would be the Ultimaker 2. Heated built plate, many improvements over the original (quieter!) and much more.

@ dim3nsioneer : I am talking about this printer https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/builder-dual-feed

sorry if i'm not being clear.

@neotko : so will this means that there are still a lot of hardwork before UMO+ can achieve UM2 quality?

@ lepaul : I thought UMO+ already comes with heated plate. Aside from that, what else are necessary to make the UMO+ quality better?

will I eventually spend as much so on upgrades that the price difference might be non-factor at all if I go with the UMO+ against the UM2?

Umo+ comes with heated bed and also the same electronics of um2.

The improvements that you could add depends on how much you want/like to perfect the thinks. Ofc on um2 it focused to a more 'just print' machine but, for example, on um2 to be able to change nozzles you have to buy an 'Olsson block' that it's a different heater block designed by Anders Olsson on this forums.

On umo+ you can buy many other kind of nozzles (after market, e3d). Also you could just change the hotend to something different.

As I say. Quality like they are close to each other. Umo+ let's you fiddle with it more naturally. Also um2 can be modded since all ultimakers are open source.

If you want less throuble go um2. Umo+ for me has been just great.

UMO is a fantastic machine - I am going to upgrade one of mine to UMO+ but as a UMO (I have 2) they have been fantastic! (I change nozzles and mod lots of things at very little cost).

The only other dual I would think about would be the Lulzbot TAZ

I'm gonna add my 2cents as well - absolutely love my UMO+. Upgrades I am doing/considering: add a 2nd fan (have got all the parts but need to make time to do it), buy exchangeable nozzles from E3D, upgrade belts to GT2 and in the distant future maybe try the E3D Hotend. But even as it is now it turns out great prints. I have quite a few friends with UM2s and I really don't think there's much of a difference (especially with 2nd fan on UMO+). I have to admit I also love the Builder you're talking about, especially because of the colour mixing hotend - this will be high on my list if I win the lottery or something tomorrow and get to extend my makespace. There's a great blog entry about it here: http://nicklievendag.com/big-builder-dual-feed-review-part-1/

• Like 1

I would also say that unless the pretty looks of the UM2 is really really important to you, go for the UMO+...

potentially spend a fraction of the money you save on buying that over the UM2, to close the final gaps between the two...

Noise eg. is quickly solved with the SilentStepStick stepper drivers and maybe a new extuder, or a "silent mount" for the original one.

As mentioned before its a fairly trivial task to upgrade to GT2 belts and pulleys if you so desire (and think its worth it).

There are so many many mods and upgrades you can easily make once you have the printer, the possibilities are endless, and for sure you can get the same quality, if it isn't close enough already.

Alot of things can also be done to the looks of the printer if this matters to you and you don't like the "DIY burned wood" look... A simple paintjob eg., does wonders.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the UMO+. Hope it goes well. I'll ask questions again if it's time for me to build it. Thanks a lot!! :)

• Like 2

Enjoy! Make sure to share your first print with us :)

If you deside to paint it... Do it BEFORE assembly ;)

• Like 1

Dilute the paint with water....you don't want to cover the laser etched labels to the point you can't read them! You can always touch up after its together!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original / Ultimaker 2 / 3d Printer Builder Dual Feed

I actually spray painted mine white, and could still easily read all engraved labels...

Since they are just that, engraved, they wont really get covered up... Instead paint will just seep into the engravings, still leaving them visible on the surface...

4qsfIvFBPZnZl9h9SWMOGL1OYtIMWiQuFAzVlrKRxYQ.thumb.jpg.ebe3e023ddb529e329dc77fa72dd1109.jpg

dKumbRcaMvIASbqloTBXbGkum_YtyTnpwvXLd85CCLg.thumb.jpg.26232e74f04b34a42d817440a4f1b8fa.jpg

11350172_10152784580440906_1118050752_n.thumb.jpg.6a453d72992b5ef2b33820f3ddd7b467.jpg

4qsfIvFBPZnZl9h9SWMOGL1OYtIMWiQuFAzVlrKRxYQ.thumb.jpg.ebe3e023ddb529e329dc77fa72dd1109.jpg

dKumbRcaMvIASbqloTBXbGkum_YtyTnpwvXLd85CCLg.thumb.jpg.26232e74f04b34a42d817440a4f1b8fa.jpg

11350172_10152784580440906_1118050752_n.thumb.jpg.6a453d72992b5ef2b33820f3ddd7b467.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I have build a few Ultimaker Originals and I also always spray painted them.

(If I painted them..)

I think it is cleaner and way faster. (plus I love the smell:p)

@tommyph1208, beautiful machine!

Do you have an alternative printhead and sliderblocks?

And what other mods have you installed?

@SandervG, Thanks! ... Its taken quite a while to get there :p

And yes, lots of mods (apart from the paint ;)

- Its an E3Dv6 hotend... 3mm. bowden version, mounted with this mount:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3d-v6-hot-end-mount

- The sliderblocks are the reptar blocks by nhfoley:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/reptar-xy-version-two

- The printer has a crossflow fan for print cooling

- Magnetic mounted acrylic sides that snap into place in the holes of the frame... No hinges or anything like that

- JasonHKs heatbed kit with a borosilicate glass plate on top

- LED lights from IKEA

- The whole thing is run with a RUMBA board and Silentstepstick drivers