Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
qmaker

Print orientation and MeshMixer vs Cura supports

Hi Guys,

I have printed a few models now that were quite difficult to orient in a way that would be ideal. I have used meshmixer to generate supports for one model, I have used zbrush to make my own, and I have simply cut my model in half and printed it that way.

In general, I wanted to hear if there are strong feelings about meshmixer supports vs. Cura supports.

If you do use Meshmixer do you use the Ultimaker2 (Dizingof's) setting?

The base is separate, but I am tempted to try printing it as is with supports under the belly.

Curious how experienced printers here would orient this kind of model.5a3313e72d2ef_ScreenShot2015-11-17at12_10_43PM.thumb.png.460f4bd40d28ff5d482b7118a63722a3.png[/media][/media]

5a3313e72d2ef_ScreenShot2015-11-17at12_10_43PM.thumb.png.460f4bd40d28ff5d482b7118a63722a3.png

I have heard a couple people praising simplify3d. Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another. Perhaps there is already a good comparison out there for Cura, simplify3d, Meshmixer and others.

I was turned off my mesh mixer at first, but have started to become more comfortable with it and find it a good tool for certain things.

Thanks Robert,

Thats exactly how I split my large one.  But the seam was still more visible than I wanted.  I guess I just need to take more time cleaning up that area.  The reason I split it at the head was so that I could blend the seam into the ruff texture easier.

I will post back my findings on which method worked best for me in case others are printing standing quadrapeds

Print3.thumb.JPG.5fa62dff165de9e8daf94f56904cf416.JPG

Print3.thumb.JPG.5fa62dff165de9e8daf94f56904cf416.JPG

Edited by Guest

Thanks Ultibrain!! I modeled it in zbrush. I am currently printing an even larger version that I split in 4 pieces for the body and the antlers separate. It is by far the largest and longest print I have done since I have owned the machine. Approximately 30- 40 hours per quarter section LOL....

Assembling it now. I will post an image of it when I get it put back together or the process along the way if anyone is interested.

Here is a link to a video showing the build process for the smaller one. Hope you like it.

http://www.quadepaul.com/video.html

ZBrush... doesn't surprise me :-)

For simple support work I use Cura. Statues from animals, people, I use preferrably Meshmixer. But also Simplify3D sometimes comes to the rescue... What I like about Meshmixer is you can draw in supports manually and so have perfect control where the supports are put. Sometimes the program crashes but most of the times the program does it job nicely!

Hi guys thanks for all of the feedback and comments. I finally have the 4 parts printed and am assembling them. I added a young buck imitating his father as a gift for my mom for Christmas. I was kind of sidetracked with a version of 2 elk fighting that delayed the larger print of the bugling elk. I will post a few photos shortly.

Quadeelkhead1.thumb.jpg.d7a8fb120452f42b705a25622ea77a8a.jpgelbuild1.thumb.jpg.4b713d3633100f484643e25cdb1d3912.jpg

Quadeelkhead1.thumb.jpg.d7a8fb120452f42b705a25622ea77a8a.jpg

elbuild1.thumb.jpg.4b713d3633100f484643e25cdb1d3912.jpg

Just to modify my view on Meshmixer vs Cura on supports. With 15.04 I used Cura supports the other day - first time in well over a year. They were great and just pulled away from the part like the brim does - even easier. Sure I need to do some more but on that one experience my view has totally changed, Cura supports rock