Geared feeder from UM2+ ?

Posted · Geared feeder from UM2+ ?

I still think a belt-driven feeder is nicer than one with spur gears, since a gearbox with spur gears inherently does mean noisier retractions, just FYI.

If you want the same as on the UM2+, just wait for the upgrade kit wich will be aviable sometime during Q1

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Geared feeder from UM2+ ?

@blizz: It has a higher e-steps value, a new 1.8 degree stepper motor and reversed stepper rotation.

When you mount the upgrade kit you just flash it with the UM2+ firmware, wich has the correct e-step and direction setting.

Edited by Guest

Hmm so not only the e-steps. That kinda sucks as it would force people to go back to the stock firmware. Hopefully the custom ones implement support quickly.

Dont worry esteps can be changed by gcode very fast and easy.

@neotko Ow I know, my UM2 has a different knurled wheel and I'm already running at a different value. was talking about the reversed stepper rotation.

• Like 1

You could swap two cables on the motor to change the motor on reverse (I readed that somewhere long ago but I never did it).

• Like 1

Does anyone know which gear ratio the new UM2+ feeder uses?

Posted (edited) · Geared feeder from UM2+ ?

@Bolt: I believe it is a 11:36 gear ratio and a slightly larger knurled wheel than the old feeder (~10mm)

Edited by Guest

Ok thanks but isn't 11:36 a very unusual ratio?

Moreover, what stepper motor does UM use for that new feeder?

The motor is a 200 step (1.8 degree) one, i don't know about the rest of the specs right now.

Meduza does it has the same physical length? Or it's shorter? Becuase I have in my boz of spare parts x4 feeder motors nema 17 that are just one letter wrong from the um2 old one but they are same length and 200 steps. (One order that went wrong).

This is what mine is marked as. This is on a very early machine but I doubt it has changed. Looks like the same size to me on a cursory glance.

5a3319318b645_um2stepper.thumb.jpg.7a0071f1dd5aecc6341998fa981b8c9e.jpg

Thanks!

I installed the UM2 upgrade kit, but had some issues with the Tinker 16.3+ firmware.

So I went back to Ultimakers 2+ firmware, but thats a real pain when you're used to Tinkers information.

So while @tinkergnome seems to be a bit busy with other stuff atm (thats cool, we all have a life..) I like to use Tinker 16.1 and change the e-steps.

So my questions;

- can you use a negative value with M92 to reverse the motor ?

- what are the e steps with the UM2+ feeder ?

- alternatively, where are the e steps set in marlin ? can't find it...

Um2+ echo from pronterface

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20046-extrusor-ha-perdido-su-posicion-000#reply-140991

All the settings there. Just use gcode on a file and M500 (add a return after the line to send the command)

• Like 1

Brw to reverse the motor feeder you could just swap the cables. On the firmware it's on...

Configuration.h

There's a list of stuff to invert. Search #define INVERT_E0_DIR

For esteps marlin search DEFINE DEFAULT_AXIS_STEP_PER_UNIT

Thanks!

@neotko Ow I know, my UM2 has a different knurled wheel and I'm already running at a different value. was talking about the reversed stepper rotation.

Hey @Blizz I have been wanting to upgrade my knurled wheel -are you using one of those concave ones? Are there any posts specifically about that, or could you please share briefly where you got the wheel and what changes you needed to make?