UNUSABLE 1.75 fillament on UM2+

Posted · UNUSABLE 1.75 fillament on UM2+

Few words regarding the matter

i Bought 2 UM2+ few weeks ago, PLA prints with supplied UM PLA are amazing, out of the box and etc. BUT. ABS.....

ordered 10 different ABS of 1.75mm filament from Formfutura, ABS Pro, Easy fill ABS, HDglass,

Nothing is working on UM2+ , have a feeling that TUNE option of the filament diameter is not working at all(( or the feeder is not designed for 1.75 ...

I have tried to print with 4-5 types of 1,75 ABS, with different settings from pre-installed ABS ( just changing the diameter) to custom, with different nozzles, temp, speed, and so on. Nothing is working, i have managed to print half of the ring with 1.75 ABS frosty White, after that printer just stopped extruding the material, after changing the nozzle and doing atomic cleaning with UM2 PLA, tried to manually move 1,75 material - it is going few centimeters and then stops. It is a sad story for 3k$ each printer to work so badly with 1.75 ABS, will try 2.85 later. Will post the result, but 1.75 is not printing at all. Here are some pictures of the fillament

if someone from UM will answer on how to manage 1.75 filament will be very happy, cause i have a 10 kg of it...

4.thumb.jpg.b8ac6a354ef2d8fb40de584e318131ec.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5d4bc710f2bcde426e1e3e9d6c2f34e2.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.a876fc439afb7f9d430b2dd7dec5ea9e.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.b8ac6a354ef2d8fb40de584e318131ec.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5d4bc710f2bcde426e1e3e9d6c2f34e2.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.a876fc439afb7f9d430b2dd7dec5ea9e.jpg

Hi,

To be perfectly clear, the Ultimaker 2+ and every other Ultimaker printer is designed to be used with 2.85 mm filament. Not being able to print 1.75 mm filament is not an error it's a design choice.

A printer designed for 1.75 mm filament will never be able to print 2.85mm filament, it simply wont fit. The same is true for a 2.85 mm printer like the Ultimaker, but for other reasons. Please use the correct diameter filament for your printer.

Because the Ultimaker is open source people with enough know-how will be able to adapt it for use with 1.75 mm filament. However, this will require some serious modification to the printer. The kind of modifications @SandervG is talking about

Best regards,

Johan

• Like 2

3Dsolex and their distributors sell a 1.75mm hotend kit. Don't expect to print right if the hardware isn't correctly tuned for it. Adafruit published a video printing with 1.75, but was a small piece and just for a few. For real prints (specially 10k) you need proper hardware.

As gr5 told me a year ago when I started on this forum, "you need the proper tools".

If i remember correctly, @Meduza make a mod for UM2 for printing with 1.75 mm filament. Parts of this mod placed here.

He did a mod to use ptfe of 4mm/2mm inner dia. There are some ptfe coupler sources for 1.75mm that use 4mm outter dia ptfe bowden.

Posted (edited) · UNUSABLE 1.75 fillament on UM2+

As @johank says the UM2+ is built and advertised as a 2.85mm printer, so saying it is sad that it does not work with 1.75mm filament is like buying a car with a diesel engine and being sad over the fact that it will not work on gasoline?

You can of course mod the printer and change out the Feeder, the Bowden tube, the Bowden couplings, a 1.75mm PTFE, a 1.75mm Olsson Block and some 1.75mm nozzles, which can be compared to changing out the engine in your diesel car to a gasoline motor since you want to run gasoline, or you can just fill it up with diesel at your local gas station.

As @neotko say i redesigned some pieces of the printer to use a 2/4mm bowden tube instead of the original one to get a tighter fit for the 1.75mm filament, i also redesigned some pieces of @IRobertI's UM2 feeder to fit 1.75mm filament. I have a very early 3DSolex 1.75mm conversion kit and the 2/4mm bowden fits very nicely in that PTFE. The modded parts works well, but to be honest i have only printed about 100 grams trough that setup :-)

To get back to @fabricator and his printer, i would recommend to just sell or return that 1.75mm filament, get some proper 2.85mm filament, and enjoy the new UM2+ like it is built to be used instead of installing a lot of mods on a new printer.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

The specification sheet for the Ultimakers states:

MATERIALS

System Open filament system

Filament diameter 2.85 mm

What on earth made you think it would work with a different size filament?

thnx johank, neotko, ivan, medusa, will follow the suggestions.

What on earth made you think it would work with a different size filament?

Geomagnetic storm

• Like 1

I love how you guys are jumping on this dude. Maybe he wanted to print with the vast market of materials? You know the 90% of the stuff you can't get in 2.85....

Or maybe he should have read the specs before he invested $3K in a printer?

I love how you guys are jumping on this dude. Maybe he wanted to print with the vast market of materials? You know the 90% of the stuff you can't get in 2.85....

that may depend highly on the part of the world you'r in.... but at least for Europe that's total nosence

Posted (edited) · UNUSABLE 1.75 fillament on UM2+
    @Giogiogio4: That got to be a American thing, in Europe we can get everything in both diameters, i do not know of any material that i cannot get in both, and the market is pretty evenly divided between 2.85 and 1.75mm filament printers. Edited by Guest

@Giogiogio4: That got to be a American thing, in Europe we can get everything in both diameters, i do not know of any material that i cannot get in both, and the market is pretty evenly divided between 2.85 and 1.75mm filament printers.

Maybe, except a Glowfill 2.85. Colorfabb dont sell it anymore :(

@Giogiogio4: That got to be a American thing, in Europe we can get everything in both diameters, i do not know of any material that i cannot get in both, and the market is pretty evenly divided between 2.85 and 1.75mm filament printers.

It is still listed on their website with 2.85 as an option.

Have they actually stopped selling it though?

We still got 2.85mm Glowfill in stock at 3DVerkstan, it sounds weird to me that colorfabb would stop selling only a single filament in one diameter when having everything else in both diameters, but then i am not the one responsible for supplier contact with colorfabb, so what do i know :-)

I was able to add 2.85 Glowfill to my cart.

Wow, now again available to buy. In December it was cancelled to selling.